The Worst CGI Kid Films In Recent Memory

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm glad Rainmaker's coming back with a new ReBoot sequel series. There was a serious lack of closure from the original that I hope this new series will resolve.
I'll believe that when I see it. Every time it's announced, like a week later they announce it's not gonna happen.

Anyway, yeah. The Weinsteins company is terrible unless your a name director they happen to favor. Unless you're Quentin Tarantino, I'd abandon all hope before ye enter if you make a deal with them. We all know their nonsense with the Fraggle Rock movie. They clearly didn't want to spend money on it unless it looked like every overly loud and pop culture heavy kid's film out there (We really lucked out with both Muppet movies not being that terrible), and even then, they clearly don't care about films unless they make them look like they win Oscars for that sweet indie cred. it's clear they only wanted Henson for the Shrek knockoff films. They're just...awful.

cuppajoe95

Reaction score
Anyone else besides me think that this film here is going to bomb? At least at the US box office?

No disrespect towards Mexican animation. It's just that... I can feel it in my bones.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Anyone else besides me think that this film here is going to bomb? At least at the US box office?

No disrespect towards Mexican animation. I

It's just that... I can feel it in my bones.
It looks uninteresting at best, even if it would have used traditional animation as it was originally intended to be. It's your standard "journey to a faraway place to save your family" type tale according to the Wikipedia summary.

Drtooth

Reaction score
When it comes to foreign films we have to remember one thing. Other countries get our films and their own films on the same level. They basically have to have their home grown stuff compete on the same level as ours. And Minions hit the 1 Billion international mark, and it didn't even premiere in all territories yet. Big Hero 6 would have done better in Japan if it didn't open up against Youkai Watch (remember that name, because I predict we'll be very sick of it within a year). Other examples are around I'm sure. To us, foreign films, even the mainstreamiest ones there are get very limited release. It's nigh impossible to find a Ghibli movie without going to an arthouse, and they don't even bother releasing Pokemon ones to theaters anymore. So I doubt that we'd see the likes of this hit the mainstream theaters (unless they're in a very Hispanic neighborhood, even then..not so sure), but it may just hit Netflix in time.

Other than that, it does look unremarkable. Looks marginally better than Rio, though. That was an overrated film. Looked beautiful, didn't care for it otherwise. You can't blame them for using an old tropefest. After all, the US worn the heck out of those tropes long ago.

mr3urious

Reaction score
So I doubt that we'd see the likes of this hit the mainstream theaters (unless they're in a very Hispanic neighborhood, even then..not so sure), but it may just hit Netflix in time.
And if The Book of Life failed to win over Latinos, I don't think El Americano would be any different.

Last edited:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Which is a shame. Book of Life may not have been the best movie, but for a third string animated company, it was quite good. It's not without its fans, I saw a wonderful La Muerta cosplayer at a convention this year. It's a real shame since Jorge Guitirrez was trying to get that film off the ground for years, well before even Pixar announced their Dia De Los Muertos movie. I really wish I saw it in 3-D... don't think I even found a theater that had it in 3-D. But by all means, that was a pleasant surprise. Too bad it's destined to be cult, but at least I FINALLY got to see El Tigre as a result (cuz Nicktoons brought the show back when the film was released).

cuppajoe95

Reaction score
You know, not to beat a dead horse or anything, but when I went to Walmart earlier today, I bought this 10-film box set from eOne (I live in Canada):

Oh yeah, and I saw the new A&O sequel in the "New Releases" display along with All Creatures Big and Small featuring Martin Sheen. Is he another one of those famous actors who'll do voiceovers in imported CGI dubs for a paycheck?

Drtooth

Reaction score
At first I was a little insulted that Coraline and Paranorman had to be seen with the likes of Gnomeo and Juliet and the dreaded Wolf movie, but now I'm just confused. These films are all owned by different companies. I wonder why they sold them together.

mr3urious

Reaction score
At first I was a little insulted that Coraline and Paranorman had to be seen with the likes of Gnomeo and Juliet and the dreaded Wolf movie, but now I'm just confused. These films are all owned by different companies. I wonder why they sold them together.
I believe it's because eOne (the producer of those DVD collections) distributed those movies in Canada, as they are a Canadian company.

cuppajoe95

Reaction score
I believe it's because eOne (the producer of those DVD collections) distributed those movies in Canada, as they are a Canadian company.
Yeah, judging by the inclusion of a few actually good films and only one of Lionsgate/Grindstone's Redbox/Netflix filler CGI dubs in this set, it's almost as though they want to make their products more valuable to customers with good taste.

Or maybe that's just me being hopelessly naive. Then again, this is the first multipack I've seen from eOne as opposed to their double or triple feature DVD's which Alliance used to sell before they folded into eOne.