Henson Rarities on Youtube

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Anyone else can feel free to post material on Dailymotion or Vimeo. At the moment I cannot repeat all of that work.
I assume you still have all the completed files and everything anyway, right?

Mr.Penguin

Reaction score
I just went on YouTube, and I just discovered that your page is back up with all of the videos that you posted.
Well I know what I've got to week...watch every
....single
....one of these.

I know I'm jumping into this conversation late, but I think just in case some of us should try and keep the especially unique clips backed up somewhere, because a lot of this footage is really fascinating lost work that I can't see Disney or Henson releasing on DVD or anything. And these are cleaner than ever. There should be an archive somewhere like...back in the days with tape trading and stuff that I'm just too young for. I can keep a few of them somewhere at least. So like, even if YouTube does take it down all that hard work is somewhere. Until then, I'm super relieved that it's back up.

And also I really wanted to stop by to say amazing work, Mr. Gilchrist! It's been a lot of fun watching all of these things I've never had the chance to or never even heard of, so thanks a bunch!
(...I forgot how to tag users)

Last edited:

Erine81981

Reaction score
Ok I just found this new video about Kermit and Piggy's break up. It's in a different language but that's not what caught me off guard. It's what's a the beginning of the video. There is some sort of Muppet Ride with audio-animatronics. I would love to see this ride or even ride it if it's still around. And maybe someone already talked about this before.

Bliffenstimmers

Reaction score
There is some sort of Muppet Ride with audio-animatronics. I would love to see this ride or even ride it if it's still around. And maybe someone already talked about this before.

Muppet Wiki documents it as the Plymouth Muppet Traffic Safety Show. Those clips might just be from an old b-roll that was used for news coverage back when it was around, or there's some miraculous possibility that one still exists around that area. I'm going for the former, because if there was still one around, we probably would have heard about it by now, I would hope...

Erine81981

Reaction score

Muppet Wiki documents it as the Plymouth Muppet Traffic Safety Show. Those clips might just be from an old b-roll that was used for news coverage back when it was around, or there's some miraculous possibility that one still exists around that area. I'm going for the former, because if there was still one around, we probably would have heard about it by now, I would hope...
Thank you. I was wondering what this was from. I never did know anything about this. I know that the clip was from an old New Coverage back in the day I just had never heard of this ride before. Pretty neat. I figured it wouldn't be around anymore. Thanks again.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Now that the channel is back up, are there any plans to upload THE MUPPET MUSICIANS OF BREMEN? I know somebody posted it several years ago in six parts, but they're incredibly dark that you can't see much of the picture, and the only copy I have is a VHS transfer from an old laserdisc.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
A little bit of Peter Linz's Miss Piggy. Looks like there's a little deleted bit with Gonzo, as well.

tygerbug

Reaction score
Yep, Henson Rarities is back up for the time being. With thanks to one of the copyright holders, who politely rescinded their copyright notice. We are still under copyright threat [2 strikes out of three] so I would still recommend getting the "Complete Youtube Saver" for your browser and saving some of the rarer videos that interest you.

Most of the longer pieces were restored by me personally from rare tapes which often took years to track down, like The Jim Henson Hour, Little Muppet Monsters and the specials. (With many thanks to others who have been collecting Muppets their whole lives.) Not all of them can be put on Youtube because copyright. Contact me privately if you'd like to see more/know more about that.

[For example we discussed my Secrets of the Muppets restoration, which is based on a copy that isn't circulating elsewhere and has only been released to Youtube so far.]

I have no plans for Muppet Musicians of Bremen currently. [I don't actually have it lying around.]

I am uploading some of the videos to my Vimeo account for relative safe-keeping. Stuff like "Gunko" hadn't been seen by anybody in 30 years so I don't want it to vanish again!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
The actual source for the episode I don't know much about, but to my knowledge it's not from any broadcast; it's the correct, original version of the episode as prepared for The Jim Henson Hour. For instance, "Couldn't We Ride" and the commercial breaks display the Jim Henson Hour logo, which I approximated in the edit. Nickelodeon obviously made some changes for their purposes. I seem to recall there are no commercials on the tape, just black screen.
For years, I figured any edits Nickelodeon made to Secrets of the Muppets carried over into broadcasts on other channels (with Odyssey being the only other one), it didn't occur to me that the Nick version wouldn't be the master version used (though Henson has made new master tapes from edited versions of things before, like A Muppet Family Christmas and Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas, and likely The Muppet Show with the first season theme and ITC logos replaced).

But even if the Nickelodeon edited was used for other broadcasts, I overlooked the fact that, for years, fans had somehow gotten copies of Inner Tube and the pitch tape, which were never broadcast or released commercially. And I've recently read that Food/The Three Ravens as well as Living with Dinosaurs with Jim Henson's wrap-arounds were never broadcast (I thought they'd been broadcast in the UK), so I should have known that if fans could somehow get unbroadcast JHH stuff then they could have had Secrets of the Muppets as it was intended to be shown.

tygerbug

Reaction score
The actual Jim Henson Hour versions of Food/The Three Ravens, Living With Dinosaurs, and Secrets of the Muppets that you will have seen are all unaired versions taken from master tapes. [As is Inner Tube / Pitch Tape, of course.]

However, there are also aired versions of Food, The Three Ravens, Living With Dinosaurs, and Secrets of the Muppets - different edits that aired as specials on their own. You'll find those at Henson Rarities as well.

The Henson Rarities channel is probably the first time you'll have seen the original "Jim Henson Hour" version of Secrets of the Muppets, rather than the Nickelodeon version. "Food" aired as part of The Jim Henson Show, and The Three Ravens as part of The Storyteller, of course. Living With Dinosaurs aired on its own [on Channel 4 in the UK and elsewhere] without Jim's intro.