Just made a Puppet building tutorial!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Hey Adam, I was watching your tutorial again today, and I have another question for you:

You recommended attaching the mouth fabric to the mouthplate with spray adhesive (which sounds like an excellent idea) - you sprayed both the fabric and the inside of the mouthplate, which has me wondering does spray adhesive work in a similar fashion as contact cement, in that both surfaces need to be sprayed for it to work? I ask because I noticed when you later attached the throat and tongue, only those were sprayed but not the inside of the mouth (that I could see). Also, how long does it usually take for the spray adhesive to dry?

cathicks

Reaction score
Hey Adam, I was watching your tutorial again today, and I have another question for you:

You recommended attaching the mouth fabric to the mouthplate with spray adhesive (which sounds like an excellent idea) - you sprayed both the fabric and the inside of the mouthplate, which has me wondering does spray adhesive work in a similar fashion as contact cement, in that both surfaces need to be sprayed for it to work? I ask because I noticed when you later attached the throat and tongue, only those were sprayed but not the inside of the mouth (that I could see). Also, how long does it usually take for the spray adhesive to dry?
Hey Adam,

Not sure if you are still checking this thread... but to piggy-back on D'Snowth's question: Which spray adhesive are you using?

wulster

Reaction score
I have used around 3 different brands of carpet tile adhesive sprays and all worked fine. watch over spray and set out a good work area and it is fairly easy to work with, do some tests first. If your not careful you'll end up with furry fingers lol

In most cases ive always had to put it on both surfaces, wait till it is tacky then attach, however in mouth plates I only ever do one side and that's worked for those kind of bits in the mouth.

cathicks

Reaction score
Thank you wulster! Will look into trying carpet adhesive sprays.

D'Snowth, I've had hit or miss experiences with Super 77. Perhaps I had a bad batch, but I've had experiences where it would never fully dry. What about you?

Last edited:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I haven't used it (or contact cement) before, which is why I was asking; I've traditionally used hot glue with my puppets, but admittedly, I get tired of using the stuff: it's not pleasant smelling, you have to wait for it warm up, you have hold it pinched and wait for it to bond, it's really stringy and messy, not to mention the risk of burning your fingers if you don't wear gloves (but meanwhile, you can't get a good grip on anything with gloves on).

cathicks

Reaction score
I haven't used it (or contact cement) before, which is why I was asking; I've traditionally used hot glue with my puppets, but admittedly, I get tired of using the stuff: it's not pleasant smelling, you have to wait for it warm up, you have hold it pinched and wait for it to bond, it's really stringy and messy, not to mention the risk of burning your fingers if you don't wear gloves (but meanwhile, you can't get a good grip on anything with gloves on).
If you are diving into contact cement, I suggest using 3M NF30. It's water based and less toxic than Barge Glue. Great for foam work.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0VZRZY0C67V8X5DT2177

For hard mouth plates I use this or Super 77. For soft ones I use Fabrictac.

http://www.amazon.com/Beacon-Fabri-Tac-Permanent-Adhesive-4-Ounce/dp/B00178MNFO