Kermit build help required

wulster

Reaction score
Right hes goin in the bin, drew up a pattern for mk2 last night ...im sure ive got the mouth plate dimensions off a bit and one got accurate dimensions of screen used real mouth plate?

pashmonster

Reaction score
I blew up the pic of the master replica kermit that was dismantled, there is a indent in the head pattern where the eyes were attached to the head. I used this as a reference point using a standard pingpong ball of 40mm, all the rest of the patterns will be then to scale.

wulster

Reaction score
ive built a few to the master replica pattern, its just not kermit to me sorry.

I think ive got the head with my next design, i was pretty close last time and have yet to try the mods but i also want to try reduce the mouth a little as im sure ive got my scaling off ever so slightly.

from what ive found the head shape is one thing and the mouth plate size is a total other ball game in getting kermit correct

muppetperson

Reaction score
ive built a few to the master replica pattern, its just not kermit to me sorry.

I think ive got the head with my next design, i was pretty close last time and have yet to try the mods but i also want to try reduce the mouth a little as im sure ive got my scaling off ever so slightly.

from what ive found the head shape is one thing and the mouth plate size is a total other ball game in getting kermit correct
The Master Replicas pattern is wrong. The factory stuffed up in China and made it smaller. What demention of the mouth do you have at the back of the mouth ? It should be 850mm going in the red area from side to side. Just checked my MR Kermit and it to is 850mm, but they went wrong with his body size.

wulster

Reaction score
Didn't MR reduce the pattern itself before production so it is not right anyway.

What i want is the inner mouth plate size of a screen used :>

Ive some very good ref pics of a real kermit in bits showing some cool parts, I just don't have permission to post them, you guys probably all have em anyway.
I just need to figure out how to get the picture on my screen to the correct 1 on 1 scale of the items in the pics without proper scale reference. If i can figure that out then i can get all the proper measurements myself..cos i cant share the pics i gotta figure out how to do it my self lol. If i get one proper screen used dimension bang on then i can work out rest i think

pashmonster

Reaction score
Yes the master replica pattern is slightly smaller, this is why I increased in size to match the standard half pingpong ball eye that was used on kermit. The eye of real kermit is a 40mm ping pong ball but in half.

pashmonster

Reaction score
I've uploaded a couple of quick pics to my Flickr to show you my head using the master replica pattern slightly increasing size to eye measurement of 40mm. I need to dye correct colour when I get chance.

wulster

Reaction score
by the look of those pics you uploaded, we have both a very similar size/shape inner mouth plate. I know mine is cut to the exact same shape as a screen used puppet but i am still sure i have the scale off and it is far too big. It is when i try and match the inside of his mouth, by the time i match up all the gap sizes in red compared to the tongue tonsils and lips the outer mouth no longer works...using this current plate

wulster

Reaction score
latest two head pattern tests, each one is nothing like the other. pls note these are just thrown together so builds not that good etc let me know if yas think im getting closer or further away from the true kermit look

FoxWorthy

Reaction score
I'd say number 2 is the better one. The only thing with #2 is that it almost looks a bit loose to me..... like it needs to be tightened up a bit. It's like there's too much room between your hand and the inside of the puppet. I'd almost try it just a little bit smaller around the head......either that or grow your hand with a magical potion of a sort! :wink:

It is looking really good and your hard work will pay off. :smile: