Amazing Steve Whitmire article: On the Other Hand

JimAndFrank

Reaction score
A short time ago, Longreads posted an article about Steve which is simply wonderful! It's been fluttering around Twitter for the past few hours and I knew I had to share it here. It's written by author Joe Irwin, who I can't praise highly enough for this respectful and detailed piece of writing.

http://blog.longreads.com/2015/09/10/on-the-other-hand/

There are a few things we learn about Steve here, for instance:

• Steve apparently had the longest hair out of both boys and girls in his high school. Steve and his wife Melissa first met when they measured their hair to see who actually had the longest. Melissa won by an inch and not long after, they started dating. (Do I hear romcom?)
  • Steve got a job at Six Flags Over Georgia by putting on a show with the Jim Henson puppet he had made (Adorable!!!)
  • Melissa acts as Steve's business manager.
  • Steve's high school garage band was called 'Full Sun'

My favourite stories:
  • Steve decided it would be a good idea to utilize his prop making skills for drama club by creating a Planet of the Apes-esque mask. He then dressed up and ran amok in a mall while his friends had him on leash. Hilarity ensued.
  • On his local TV show The Kid's Show With Otis, Steve as Otis challenged Muhammad Ali to a fight and told him to call the show,"for the last time… before we punch out your vocal cords!" Ali's manager got wind of the stunt. Otis ended up ringside at a charity fight with Ali mockingly dissing him.
There's more great content there, but you'll just have to read for yourself. This has to be one of the best Muppet related articles I have read in a long time! What do you think?

MelissaY1

Reaction score
Just read this on my lunch break here at work. Great article! I knew about his wife being his business manager and that they were high school sweethearts. I'm surprised that the article didn't mention his performing Otis around the Sid & Marty Krofft amusement park that he worked at in Atlanta, GA.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
Great article, I love hearing about Steve Whitmire or any Muppet performer.