Do de Rubber duck

minor muppetz

Reaction score
There's something about this segment that had kind of hit me recently. Long ago, around 2001, I realized the fact that half of these characters no longer appeared on the show, or didn't often. It was rare to even see Gladys, Hoots, Guy Smiley, Biff, and Kermit (though the kids would likely know who Kermit is, even if they don't associate him with Sesame Street) in existing segments. But by now, with the exception of Biff (not counting a background appearance), those characters have been used more frequently on the show. Gladys was recast a few years after I had this observation (though it seems like she's rarely seen again), Hoots was rarely used in the early 2000s but would soon appear at least once a season afterwards (and it seems like he's once again not on the show), and Guy Smiley has been recast, though it took awhile for him to be used much on the show itself but these past few seasons have brought us quite a bit of new Guy Smiley material (okay, so it's only three that I know of, but it still feels like a lot).

BuddyBoy600alt

Reaction score
I remember that song as well. It had an MTV-Style caption that reads:
Ernie and his Friends
"DO DE RUBBER DUCK"
From the motion picture
The Harder They Scrub

Nostalgicman

Reaction score
I've been trying to figure out who performed who for a while since this was my favorite Sesame Street original song growing up. Here's what I've come up with so far;

Certainties for Puppetry
Ernie Voice-Jim Henson/ Ernie Puppetry-Jim Henson
Oscar Voice-Carroll Spinney/ Oscar Puppetry-Noel MacNeal
Kermit Voice-Jim Henson/ Kermit Puppetry-David Rudman
Gladys Voice-Richard Hunt/ Gladys Puppetry-Richard Hunt
Telly Voice-Marty Robinson/ Telly Puppetry-Marty Robinson

Puppetry Uncertainties
Biff Voice-Jerry Nelson/ Biff Puppetry-? (likely not Jerry Nelson since the Count since had more lines)
Count Voice-Jerry Nelson/ Count Puppetry-? (likely Jerry Nelson since the Count had more lines)
Hoots Voice-Kevin Clash/ Hoots Puppetry-? (likely Kevin Clash since Hoots had a few lines)
Elmo Voice (chorus)-Kevin Clash/ Elmo Puppetry-? (almost certainly not Kevin Clash since Elmo had no solo lines)
Guy Smiley Voice-Jim Henson/ Guy Smiley Puppetry-? (obviously not Jim Henson)

Other- Is it possible Frank Oz provided the puppetry for one of the bath tub characters since Bert had no lines?

Now the mystery is; who were the 3 unknown puppeteers?- I'd bet Steve Whitmire was one of them, but the other two?

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
I don't think it's Steve Whitmire since he started working on Sesame Street around season 25. I think it could be Fran Brill, Camille Bonora, or Pam Arciero as other performers.

Nostalgicman

Reaction score
M
I don't think it's Steve Whitmire since he started working on Sesame Street around season 25. I think it could be Fran Brill, Camille Bonora, or Pam Arciero as other performers.
Maybe, but don't forget that it could very well have been freelance performers since Noel MacNeal was not an official Sesame Street performer for that season.