The Muppets Episode 1 - Pig Girls Don't Cry (Pilot)

What did you think of "The Muppets" series premiere "Pig Girls Don't Cry"?

• Absolutely positively! This episode was great!

• Bork bork! This episode was good.

• Mee mee. This episode was so-so.

• You're all weirdos! This episode was disappointing.

Results are only viewable after voting.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
I thought the pilot really enjoyable, the jokes, really hit it on the nose like, Zoot thinking he's an AA meeting. I hope we get more obscure characters like Clifford for bean bunny. I give this pilot 4/5 Kermit smiles.:smile::smile::smile::smile:

mr3urious

Reaction score
I enjoyed this episode so far. They managed to work in a good amount of drama with Kermit and Piggy's relationship, and the humorous moments with Fozzie's interspecies romance. Plus we got secondary characters like Scooter and Rizzo get their fair share of screen time.

And I did like how they implemented Statler & Waldorf in the audience of Piggy's talk show, very much how I predicted when I thought this new show would be a traditional sitcom. And I also liked how the opening made a little musical nod to TMS on the title card.

Not a perfect start to the muppets. (as I will be writing it from now on to distinguish from The Muppets franchise and The Muppets 2011 film), but rarely do new TV shows start off perfectly.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I feels shows that start their strongest will usually flounder in further episodes trying to capture what made the first episodes work. Some shows start slow and get better as they go on, but other shows that start strong (cough cough Heroes) just can't maintain. I'd say The Muppets is off to a good enough start that things can build up. If it starts too weak, then there's no reason to tune in, if it starts too strong, how are they going to maintain momentum? It hit that middle road pretty well, I'd say. Things were established, but not slammed down like most pilots.

RealWonderman

Reaction score
ABC’s The Muppets premiered on Tuesday to 8.9 million total viewers and a 2.8 demo rating, doubling the year-ago launch numbers for Selfie (4.9 mil/1.4) and trailing only The Voice in the demo for the night.

The Muppets thus stands as ABC’s biggest series debut since How to Get Away with Murder.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
digital rod removal
That bothers me too. They keep going to great lengths to hide and remove all of the imperfections that you kind of lose a sense of the warmth and familiarity of the characters. So we used to could see rods before, so what? As long as the characters are in capable hands (no pun intended) and have life breathed into them by the performers who bring them to life for us to enjoy, then that's all that really matters. I mean, heck, Sid & Marty Krofft once had an act that flopped because you couldn't see the strings on their marionette.

Drtooth

Reaction score
DAAAAAANNNG, yo! I was afraid Scream Queens and Redundant Terrorist Fighting Formula that only old people like would crush it in the ratings.

Still..The Voice?! ehh.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Something I hope gets added in future episodes is actual Muppet music. All we have is Imagine Dragons' "Rock Bottom". There was no theme song and I dunno if you could count Dr. Teeth's brief scatting or Dancing With the Czars as musical numbers.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Muppets Most Wanted, in which Kermit is a cringing apologist for the group, who truly cannot "handle" Piggy--is more of a dud. (I liked it okay, but--hey--I'm an obsessed muppet fan.) The MMW Kermit can't stand up to Piggy's ridiculous demands about the wedding, but the old Kermit could have.
I disagree with that. I thought Kermit did well about standing up to Piggy about that. I mean, sure he went to apologize a few minutes later. But still, he didn't just stand there and take it.

You have got a point though, some times Steve's Kermit is a bit more mellow than Jim's. But it does show that he has a good heart. I mean, not that it wasn't there when Jim played him, but you know what I mean.

Muppetboy09

Reaction score
I am glad the ratings were so high! Hopefully they can maintain that, though I doubt it with all those bad reviews out there. RottenTomatoes is down to a 60% for critics, but up to a 75% for audience ratings! Nonetheless, congrats to everyone involved!

EDIT: I will just leave this here. It is Lisa Henson's thoughts on the show...
http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/the...piggy-kermit-jim-henson-interview-1201600148/