The Muppets Episode 1 - Pig Girls Don't Cry (Pilot)

What did you think of "The Muppets" series premiere "Pig Girls Don't Cry"?

• Absolutely positively! This episode was great!

• Bork bork! This episode was good.

• Mee mee. This episode was so-so.

• You're all weirdos! This episode was disappointing.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ladywarrior

Reaction score
^ huh maybe it just doesn't bug me because her innocents was so cute. I would hate to see what they would do to Jeannie if they rebooted the show. D: Hey at least Jeannie only had eyes for her "master" as for nostalgia for Jeannie I was not around when that show first aired. I'm only in my 20s! XD It's just been aired on our one local TV stations and I enjoy watching it because it's funny especially the Djinn Djinn episodes!
Speaking of pushing things. Evil! Jeannie was really pushing it. She acted so naughty when she was in an episode.
But you can't really say they talked about sex and stuff all the time. Yeah jeannie's outfit was skimpy (though they would NOT allow her to show ehr midriff) but it's much more conservative than anything she would wear if the show was rebooted!

I wonder if barbara eden will appear on The Muppets? probably not but...

That reminds me of this
The scantily clad muppet! XD

Last edited:

jobi71

Reaction score
^ huh maybe it just doesn't bug me because her innocents was so cute. I would hate to see what they would do to Jeannie if they rebooted the show. D: Hey at least Jeannie only had eyes for her "master" as for nostalgia for Jeannie I was not around when that show first aired. I'm only in my 20s! XD It's just been aired on our one local TV stations and I enjoy watching it because it's funny especially the Djinn Djinn episodes!
Speaking of pushing things. Evil! Jeannie was really pushing it. She acted so naughty when she was in an episode.
But you can't really say they talked about sex and stuff all the time. Yeah jeannie's outfit was skimpy (though they would NOT allow her to show ehr midriff) but it's much more conservative than anything she would wear if the show was rebooted!

I wonder if barbara eden will appear on The Muppets? probably not but...

That reminds me of this
The scantily clad muppet! XD
Thanks for your thoughtful response. I understand what you're saying in your post, so I did not want to dismiss it, but Jeannie can be a little problematic as far as sexuality and gender roles. But your main point is valid it was an innocent sexuality - if that is a legit term. I am hoping what we saw in the premiere is about as far as The Muppets will go as far as language and adult themes. Show the casual audience that they can be dealt with but not obsess on them. I am OK with some limits being pushed (and as many have stated the H word has appeared numerous times in Muppet history) Kermit saying it to be immediately told by Sam he cannot was worth the boundary pushing. Shows can take a few episodes (heck it used to take a whole season) before they find their grove, so I have no doubt there will be a few missteps in the next couple of episodes, but I bet there will also be a lot of Muppet magic, so I am content to watch and wait. Once they have their footing I am sure they will soar.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I DREAM OF JEANNIE did push boundaries, but it's still a clean, wholesome, family show compared to others, but like TV Tropes says, IDOJ is essentially BEWITCHED with social commentary replaced with fanservice (and Barbara Eden was probably the very image of fanservice in the 60s). Then again, BEWITCHED was subtle in certain ways too: Serena was kind of a risque character in terms of being something of a vamp, and it wasn't uncommon to see her dressed rather provocatively either - in fact, many people were actually convinced that she was played by another actress rather than Elizabeth Montgomery doubling.

But then main thing about these fantasty sitcoms from the 60s was that they were meant to offer people a way to escape everyday life, considering what a tumultuous decade it was; that was a big part of their appeal.

jobi71

Reaction score
As for the celebrity guest stars in this episode.... Could be wrong about this, but the name Elizabeth Banks immediately equals the character Jesse Spanno which she portrayed in the iconic series Saved By The Bell. Yes? No? *Shrugs. :shifty:
You are confusing Elizabeth Banks with Elizabeth Berkely who was in Saved by the Bell and Showgirls. Elizabeth Banks has been in all the Hunger Game films, many of the Spider Man films as well as being Jack's wife on 30 Rock and recurring roles on Modern Family and Scrubs plus roles in Seabscuit, Catch Me if You Can, Pitch Perfect etc. So Banks is well worthy of a guest star spot. Berkely would be grateful for one. ;-)

jobi71

Reaction score
I DREAM OF JEANNIE did push boundaries, but it's still a clean, wholesome, family show compared to others, but like TV Tropes says, IDOJ is essentially BEWITCHED with social commentary replaced with fanservice (and Barbara Eden was probably the very image of fanservice in the 60s). Then again, BEWITCHED was subtle in certain ways too: Serena was kind of a risque character in terms of being something of a vamp, and it wasn't uncommon to see her dressed rather provocatively either - in fact, many people were actually convinced that she was played by another actress rather than Elizabeth Montgomery doubling.

But then main thing about these fantasty sitcoms from the 60s was that they were meant to offer people a way to escape everyday life, considering what a tumultuous decade it was; that was a big part of their appeal.
D'Snowth I agree with all you say. My hope is that The Muppets becomes that show that may push boundaries here or there or occasionally but is still a wholesome show that you, your kids, your grandparents, your cool teen neighbors could all watch and enjoy. Side note about Serena, there was some network affiliate meeting in L.A. and they wanted to make sure Pandora Sparks the actress credited as Serena would attend. The show producers among them E. Montogmery's husband was like "Yeah she'll be there because Elizabeth played them both". It was a huge reveal at the meeting no one knew/or guessed. The next season when Serena appeared her credit was Pandora Sparks as Serena and then the animated Samantha would appear and wiggle her nose and it would switch to Elizabeth Montgomery as Serena.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
My hope is that The Muppets becomes that show that may push boundaries here or there or occasionally but is still a wholesome show that you, your kids, your grandparents, your cool teen neighbors could all watch and enjoy.
In this day and age, I doubt that will happen; there's no common ground in television anymore like there was back in those days. A majority of what you see on TV today is divided into kids only and adults only; kiddie shows tend to be watered down and talk down to the kids watching, and adult shows tend to try to be as vulgar and degrading as possible. As a matter of fact, you know why so many shows - including sitcoms - always seem to have such unlikeable ******* characters anymore? Because network research apparently says that they're "more relatable" to audiences today. I guess they figured that's the direction the Muppets need to go, I don't know, but I see where some people have posted in this thread that they seem "too mean" on this new show.

TwoHeadedLlama

Reaction score
Had to record the show, because I have choir practice on Tuesdays :stick_out_tongue:. Anyway, I thought it was very enjoyable. Sure, it felt a bit rocky, but almost all the early episodes of TV shows I've seen have been like that. We have to keep in mind the the original Muppet Show didn't get off to the best start either.

As for the 'adult' humor, it makes me wonder if those parents ever saw the crap that went on in the 2000's. (VMMCM in particular.) I found it to be pretty freaking tame compared to a lot of stuff I see on TV these days. They just have their panties in a knot.

beaker

Reaction score
Still bizarre to see so many fuddy duddy grownup adults even younger than me en masse expressing outrage over Facebook and Twitter over how the Muppets have sold out and are now a "raunchy" comedy. When the heck did we become so puritanical? If in 2015 the "h" word and mild sexual inuendo offends people, perhaps watching tv or going online isn't for these people. Ya watch pure filth like CBS Two and a Half Men or Two Broke Girls, and The Muppets seems as G rated as it can get