Fraggle Rock Movie Gets Screenwriters (Hollywood Reporter)

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'd say with MMW's low turn out, an FR movie isn't likely. And trust me, I'm as crushed about both of that as the next Muppet fan.

It's always the easy route to say that revivals are always rotten... but that's because there's no care and attention to detail and we get in name only crap...like the stuff I usually list. FR deserves a movie in so much that the Muppets have 8 theatericals, and even Sesame Street has 2. We kept getting close to a FR movie since the Henson era, but nothing came forward. If we get a GOOD set of writers and the Hollywood exec meddling can be kept to the minimalest of minimums, there's a good shot it could be good. I'm actually glad the Weinstines didn't release their movie. Given their track record of ruining Hoodwinked Too and screwing everyone involved with Escape from Earth, that didn't bode well for anything that wasn't Oscar Bait. And trust me, those Meddling Weinstines do their fair share of damage on that stuff too.

GKFraggle

Reaction score
I agree, I want to see a FR movie as much as everyone does, but it needs to be kept "original" and not turned into a muppet movie with fraggles in it. Meaning Hollywood loves to throw big names with muppets, and call it a movie. Hoping it will stick. Last two muppet movies, just lacked fun and enjoyment, pushed into an almost sterotypical view of muppets and bad humor stick. Where the first few muppet movies were so great cause the muppets weren't rehashed, they just existed and went on adventures. When I saw some of the script mentions for the FR movie having them all go to outer space and running into comedian actors, I just shook my head and almost cried. So while I'm sad it won't happen I'm glad it's not being destroyed. It's a nightmare storyline or screen play to write, to keep it original, long enough to be a movie, and keep it true to fraggles. I'm afraid fraggles might just be kept to lots of mini adventures, so how to pull them into a useful storyline that isn't a bad fit for fraggles could be a challenge.

Drtooth

Reaction score
While we're talking about a movie with a pretty slim chance of even happening, I do not see why the Fraggles having to go to Outer Space isn't a logical move. It can be done tastefully. Look at FTB... they went out of the Sesame Street comfort zone, and Big Bird was able to roam around in real world locations, giving it an amazing look they couldn't usually perform in the series proper. They dumped the main message of the show for a movie message, and it worked. In fact, the problem with EIG was that they tried too hard to make it similar to the show.

I'm sure they can stick to the principles of the series and give a theatrical experience without turning into the Smurfs movie. A couple tasteful cameos won't ruin the concept. I doubt we'd get anything as bad as you'd expect, as long as we get a dedicated script writer and director that know what the Fraggles are all about.

But again, that's all hypothetical. Meanwhile we actually do have that Doozers cartoon, and no one wants to talk about it. The movie that may never get made gets more attention than the thing that actually happened.

GKFraggle

Reaction score
well i'm fine with them going to outer space after all we left them hanging with Doc in outer space. From what was passed / rumored around though, it was going to be more like fraggles lost in LA, dodging cars, and running into as many actors as they could get to squeeze into the time frame. If they did the script really well though, where Doc was a friend, and they used the magical caves to do random exploring around the world with uncle matt. Then I would be all for them in outer space. I think that is the direction a write would need to take it though. In regards to them, going to various places around the entire world. To keep them a truely international movie, with them maybe running into the queen of England and other famous people from around the world.

I just saw the Doozer cartoon and think it's great. watched a few episodes, and while it's a bit off putting they appear more in the woods, and have way to much normal building supplies versus all Doozer sticks. I can live with it. So far the plots have been good. Geared a think a tad low, even for small kids, it's great to see them back on screen in some fashion. I think it would been a great opportunity though for them to picked middle aged kids and used it to teach about engineering in a bit more details. But can't wait to sit down and have a Doozer weekend with the daughter. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Where'd you hear that?

From what I understand, the rumored script by Corey Edwards (which Weinstine would have ruined... long story and rant I don't wanna get into) was much more low key... at least the script he wanted. He even commented on how the Smurfs movie was eerily similar to what the execs were pushing on him, right down to a completely irrelevant (and embarrassing) Guitar Hero sequence. I'm almost glad that movie didn't get made, as... well... read up on what happened to Hoodwinked Too and Escape from Earth.

WemblinFool18

Reaction score
Gosh I hope this movie is good, if it does get made. I am a DIE HARD Fraggle fan, which is very unusual for a kid my age, so I would hate if this film turns out to be awful...
Again, I'm a teenager, so this reasoning may not make sense:

The way I see it, the film could potentially be up to par with most of the theatrical Muppet movies if they execute it properly. The things that I think would make this good would be:
1. The original cast, at least the remaining people. Like you all said, Matt Vogel taking on Gobo would be ideal. Junior Gorg as well as Nelson and Hunt's other characters would have to be recast, if it hasn't been already. If Karen Prell, Dave Goelz, Steve Whitmire, and Kathy Mullen come back to take on their characters, this movie would have the feel of the show, or at least most of it. Without them, I feel that the whole concept of Fraggle Rock may be lost. Maybe not, but it is my big fear for this movie. Recasting them all would be hard and time-consuming.
2. A director who knows and respects the show. Any movie has the danger of being placed in the wrong hands, and sadly this seems to happen sometimes. I think this project especially is volatile in that if the wrong kind of people are behind it it could fall apart. Even if they're not a great director, a person who understands the show and its values, as well as what the puppeteers need to do their job, could bring something great to this concept.
3. Disney's permitting the puppeteers to do it. Of course, the Muppets are owned by Disney, so basically the Muppeteers are too. The company would have to loosen their tight grip they seem to have on everything in order for this film to work: permitting that this isn't a Disney movie; I think that would SUCK.

I hope you all like my tiny rant, and if not, you can certainly skip over it. But I think some of you guys will agree on some things I wrote about. :concern:

My trick for any movie is to go in with your expectations set phenomenally low. Then the movie may pleasantly surprise you. I think that trick will come in really handy with this film (if it happens). Take my advice if you wish.

Drtooth

Reaction score
3. Disney's permitting the puppeteers to do it. Of course, the Muppets are owned by Disney, so basically the Muppeteers are too. The company would have to loosen their tight grip they seem to have on everything in order for this film to work: permitting that this isn't a Disney movie; I think that would SUCK.
Which has never been a problem. NONE of the cast members of Sesame Street that work on Muppet projects have been recast ever. The performers are still freelance, and aren't owned by Disney. I doubt they'd need to recast anyone who's still around, and I'm sure these freelance puppeteers can and will reprise their roles if they aren't tied up in too many projects.

That is if this project gets made, which it won't.

Dodo

Reaction score
We don't know that for sure, though. We can always hope...
...Right?