The Muppets Episode 2 - Hostile Makeover

What did you think of "The Muppets" episode "Hostile Makeover"?

• Absolutely positively! This episode was great!

• Bork bork! This episode was good.

• Mee mee. This episode was so-so.

• You're all weirdos! This episode was disappointing.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ladywarrior

Reaction score
Okay this is going to be pretty long but I'm gonna say it.

First I liked the part with bobo selling cookies for his daughter. That was an adorable sub plot and it made me wanna hug bobo. Also I wanna see an appearance of his daughter at some point.
Also Kermit being jealous and trying to jump over that guy to talk to piggy in her dressing room was funny as was his weird encounter with the guy from Blackish.

What i didn't like? Eh...
Well the first joke featuring zoot putting dirty art on a birthday card. I know exactly what he drew and it did NOT feel in character for him at all. Maybe some people view zoot differently than I do but I do NOT think of him as the immature type of person who would draw male sex organs on birthday cards.
Also there seemed to be an implication that miss piggy does some... questionable things when she gets up in the morning or something which was just... ick.
I am STILL VERY annoyed at the whole 'electric mayhem are stoners" joke. Zoot I am fine with since it seemed to be something established for him subtly but NOT everyone else. you might say 'but it's a band stereotype" it might be but I really don't think so. Yeah dr. teeth talks funny and is very easygoing but you don't have to be a stoner to be easygoing. Floyd doesn't act like he smokes pot, he acts like a 70s liberal, janice seems to be a vegetarian not a druggy. as for lips I don't know enough about him to know. As for animal. I don't know. So I will not accept ANYONE but zoot as someone who smokes pot.
NEXT. FOZZIE IS NOT A THIEF! The whole thing with fozzie stealing things from jay lenos house wasn't funny. It felt out of character. I could imagine RIZZO or PEPE doing it but NOT fozzie. Of course if pepe did it he'd brag about it and not feel bad about it because he's a creep.

Really some of the humor in the show doesn't seem like something Jim Henson would approve of... like the whole piggy joke I mentioned above and zoot drawing things on cards. Yeah they did weird things on the muppet show that could be considered childish but not something that idiot middle schoolers or Homestuck hipsters would do.

I really DON'T care if nobody agrees with me about this stuff that is fine. This is just how I FELT. You can disagree more power to you this is just how I feel. If those kinds of things continue I might stop watching the show. and noooo before you say anything I want to say I know I know "jim henson didn't intend muppets to be for kids" I don't want to hear this excuse anymore. You DON'T have to be raunchy and disgusting to appeal to adults. This is muppets, NOT family guy!

JimAndFrank

Reaction score
Definitely an improvement! This felt a lot more natural for the Muppets. This time, they didn't have to focus on setting the show up, so they could just have some fun in the new environment.

Highlights:
-LIPS GOT A LINE!
-Kermit really got to hold his own this time around. He got to be funny, smug, self-assured, annoyed and everything in between. I'm so glad that Steve finally has a chance to embrace Jim's Kermit a little more.
-The Muppet Newsman, out of all the obscure Muppets they could have chosen, got to partake in a C-storyline! That is brilliant and I hope we see more of him!
-I am finally being able to tolerate Piggy a lot more than I have in the past. Eric is nailing it every single time.
-The Swedish Chef is the King of Comic Timing. His and Piggy's interaction was hysterical.

And did I mention LIPS GOT A LINE!!!

Lowlights:

It seems to me that while Fozzie has his place as Piggy's side-kick on the show, the writers haven't quite worked out what to to with him yet. They keep placing him in awkward situations away from the rest of the group. While the whole Jay Leno thing was funny, I hope they don't keep separating him from the rest of the troupe.

DARTH MUPPET

Reaction score

First I liked the part with bobo selling cookies for his daughter. That was an adorable sub plot and it made me wanna hug bobo. Also I wanna see an appearance of his daughter at some point.
Also Kermit being jealous and trying to jump over that guy to talk to piggy in her dressing room was funny as was his weird encounter with the guy from Blackish.

Well the first joke featuring zoot putting dirty art on a birthday card. I know exactly what he drew and it did NOT feel in character for him at all. Maybe some people view zoot differently than I do but I do NOT think of him as the immature type of person who would draw male sex organs on birthday cards.
Also there seemed to be an implication that miss piggy does some... questionable things when she gets up in the morning or something which was just... ick.
I am STILL VERY annoyed at the whole 'electric mayhem are stoners" joke. Zoot I am fine with since it seemed to be something established for him subtly but NOT everyone else. you might say 'but it's a band stereotype" it might be but I really don't think so. Yeah dr. teeth talks funny and is very easygoing but you don't have to be a stoner to be easygoing. Floyd doesn't act like he smokes pot, he acts like a 70s liberal, janice seems to be a vegetarian not a druggy. as for lips I don't know enough about him to know. As for animal. I don't know. So I will not accept ANYONE but zoot as someone who smokes pot.
NEXT. FOZZIE IS NOT A THIEF! The whole thing with fozzie stealing things from jay lenos house wasn't funny. It felt out of character. I could imagine RIZZO or PEPE doing it but NOT fozzie. Of course if pepe did it he'd brag about it and not feel bad about it because he's a creep.

Really some of the humor in the show doesn't seem like something Jim Henson would approve of... like the whole piggy joke I mentioned above and zoot drawing things on cards. Yeah they did weird things on the muppet show that could be considered childish but not something that idiot middle schoolers or Homestuck hipsters would do.

I really DON'T care if nobody agrees with me about this stuff that is fine. This is just how I FELT. You can disagree more power to you this is just how I feel. If those kinds of things continue I might stop watching the show. and noooo before you say anything I want to say I know I know "jim henson didn't intend muppets to be for kids" I don't want to hear this excuse anymore. You DON'T have to be raunchy and disgusting to appeal to adults. This is muppets, NOT family guy!
I always thought the Electric Mayhem were stoners, I thought it was common knowledge and how they always were depicted?....

LaRanaRene

Reaction score

Fozzie didn't think of himself as a thief, he just wanted a souvenir. He felt like a thief afterwards after he realized what he'd done.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Liked this episode. The pacing felt much better than the pilot, each storyline got room to breathe and wrapped up well. It was great to see some of the more obscure Muppets getting screentime, Bobo and the Newsman getting a storyline, and Yolanda and Sweetums and Lips getting lines.

Piggy's interview with Rena Azlan was hilarious, her complete ignorance about libraries. It reminded me of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia when Dennis and Dee try to start a podcast and they don't actually know anything about current events and the world around them.

Two demerits: it would have been fun to actually see Bobo's daughter, and where is Rowlf?

tutter_fan

Reaction score
YAY for the MUPPET NEWSMAN!!!!!!!!! I'll admit seeing the whole gang going into "CODE RED" (while being their normal selves just moments before) with all of them running around like crazy before Piggy trashed the whole room was fantastic!!! The sub-plot with Bobo and the Muppet Newsman (speaking in his usual news-ish manner) was incredibly funny! I have yet to see a part where he has something strange happening to him. I'll admit the show is just as funny as the original Muppet Show itself!!!!

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
Minor Muppetz, I'm sure you happy about Lips getting a line. This episode was funny. I like that both Bobo and the Newsman have daughters. Big Mean Carl was very funny. The plot with Fozzie was good. It was nice to see Piggy be nice to everyone for a change.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Really starting to love what Bill has been doing with Big Mean Carl.

BTW the closed captioning acknowledged Yolanda by name. Definitely a surprise.

It's interesting that Bunsen is the victim of physical abuse in this episode instead of Beaker.

Ladywarrior

Reaction score
I always thought the Electric Mayhem were stoners, I thought it was common knowledge and how they always were depicted?....
so where exactly did jim henson say they all smoke pot? I don't remember him saying that anywhere and bands don't have to smoke pot. :/ I don't make them smoke pot in my fanfic. I don't think of them that way at all and NEVER did.