The Muppets Episode 2 - Hostile Makeover

What did you think of "The Muppets" episode "Hostile Makeover"?

• Absolutely positively! This episode was great!

• Bork bork! This episode was good.

• Mee mee. This episode was so-so.

• You're all weirdos! This episode was disappointing.

Results are only viewable after voting.

DARTH MUPPET

Reaction score
so where exactly did jim henson say they all smoke pot? I don't remember him saying that anywhere and bands don't have to smoke pot. :/ I don't make them smoke pot in my fanfic. I don't think of them that way at all and NEVER did.
it was never said it was implied by how they act,there lines, and there voices we just never noticed in the 80's and the 70's because, "WE WERE KIDS" .....

but I am 34 years old and I notice things like that today when I watch the Muppets, I am Sure Jim Henson smoked pot I think he used to hang out with George Lucas and Spielberg at the American Zoetrope parties they used to throw in San Francisco in the 1960's If you guys know what I mean? :big_grin:

Last edited:

Ladywarrior

Reaction score
also fozie realizing what he did was wrong was a good thing and if he'd nicely told jay leno what had happened it could have led up to something heartwarming but they decided to REPEAT the 'I need a souvenir" joke and once again make him steal and then when jay tells him to leave he does it again! Beat that horse, it'll make it funnier!

jobi71

Reaction score
Okay this is going to be pretty long but I'm gonna say it.

First I liked the part with bobo selling cookies for his daughter. That was an adorable sub plot and it made me wanna hug bobo. Also I wanna see an appearance of his daughter at some point.
Also Kermit being jealous and trying to jump over that guy to talk to piggy in her dressing room was funny as was his weird encounter with the guy from Blackish.

What i didn't like? Eh...
Well the first joke featuring zoot putting dirty art on a birthday card. I know exactly what he drew and it did NOT feel in character for him at all. Maybe some people view zoot differently than I do but I do NOT think of him as the immature type of person who would draw male sex organs on birthday cards.
Also there seemed to be an implication that miss piggy does some... questionable things when she gets up in the morning or something which was just... ick.
I am STILL VERY annoyed at the whole 'electric mayhem are stoners" joke. Zoot I am fine with since it seemed to be something established for him subtly but NOT everyone else. you might say 'but it's a band stereotype" it might be but I really don't think so. Yeah dr. teeth talks funny and is very easygoing but you don't have to be a stoner to be easygoing. Floyd doesn't act like he smokes pot, he acts like a 70s liberal, janice seems to be a vegetarian not a druggy. as for lips I don't know enough about him to know. As for animal. I don't know. So I will not accept ANYONE but zoot as someone who smokes pot.
NEXT. FOZZIE IS NOT A THIEF! The whole thing with fozzie stealing things from jay lenos house wasn't funny. It felt out of character. I could imagine RIZZO or PEPE doing it but NOT fozzie. Of course if pepe did it he'd brag about it and not feel bad about it because he's a creep.

Really some of the humor in the show doesn't seem like something Jim Henson would approve of... like the whole piggy joke I mentioned above and zoot drawing things on cards. Yeah they did weird things on the muppet show that could be considered childish but not something that idiot middle schoolers or Homestuck hipsters would do.

I really DON'T care if nobody agrees with me about this stuff that is fine. This is just how I FELT. You can disagree more power to you this is just how I feel. If those kinds of things continue I might stop watching the show. and noooo before you say anything I want to say I know I know "jim henson didn't intend muppets to be for kids" I don't want to hear this excuse anymore. You DON'T have to be raunchy and disgusting to appeal to adults. This is muppets, NOT family guy!

Lady Warrior, I have an overall higher opinion of the show, but I think some of your points are spot on. Piggy's post snuggling of Josh Groban is certainly the most explicit furthest point I want the adult content to go. Yes the Muppet Show regularly featured Piggy (and sometimes Kermit or Fozzie) infatuated with a guest star, but this was a bit carnal. And I guess if we are supposing the private lives of puppets I would assume the whole band has experienced marijuana, but I agree Zoot is the stoner of the bunch. And a lovable one at that. And I don't think he would draw something inappropriate in fact he may have difficulty signing his name - now that's a G/PG option to prompt Pepe he could fill in Zoot's signature and all the rest. Pepe's "Gender is fluid" line did not bother me at all. Don't many sea creatures have this as a genetic trait to survive? In any event it's in character.

The positives:
Big Mean Carl is the receptionist. The job he is least suited for. I LOVE it.

Uncle Deadly is perfect.

We see a slightly complete musical number.

All of the chaos surrounding Piggy's moods. Code Red. Code Green. All of these folks have worked with her for decades they know what's what.

The Newsman is awesome. I am so glad they have him in the show as a "Newsman" across the lot rather than the follow spot operator on Piggy's show. And as for that ex-wife - watch the Steve Martin episode. In several scenes of the audience The Newsman is seen canoodling with a female whatnot (the Wanda puppet but not Wanda) so his marital problems may have stemmed from that.

Lips speaks. Was his face a bit more green than yellow?

Josh Groban gets a gold star aside from being a velvet voiced piano god he was willing to play the bad guy opposite Kermit. That is not a wise thing to do, so thanks for poking fun at yourself.

jobi71

Reaction score
I always thought the Electric Mayhem were stoners, I thought it was common knowledge and how they always were depicted?....
I am a bit on the fence with this one. Jim was involved in season one of SNL. If ever there was a set where drugs were in use (not by all) but by some (a lot). To me the Mayhem was always cool and cool without drugs because their coolness came from within. Zoot, to me was the exception, and he is my favorite Muppet. They laid a lot of implicit groundwork that he was a stoner. "Zoot's skipped a grove again". While it does not blow my illusion of the Mayhem that they all partook, I am on the fence of it all as a whole.

TwoHeadedLlama

Reaction score
The EM being stoners jokes I kind of understand, I just hope they don't reduce the members of the band to just 'hahaha stoners'. But Zoot drawing bad pictures on birthday cards just didn't sit well with me. It seemed very out of character, like others have said. And I'm kind of wondering how the writers came to the conclusion that Zoot would do something like that? Like "Ok, Zoot's kind of out of it, that means he draws dirty pictures on things." I mean, that's middle school kid behavior, not stoner/hippie behavior.

Other than that, much better episode than last week. Just hoping the more off color jokes don't get out of hand. Disney has a bit of a history with those.

Ladywarrior

Reaction score
The EM being stoners jokes I kind of understand, I just hope they don't reduce the members of the band to just 'hahaha stoners'. But Zoot drawing bad pictures on birthday cards just didn't sit well with me. It seemed very out of character, like others have said. And I'm kind of wondering how the writers came to the conclusion that Zoot would do something like that? Like "Ok, Zoot's kind of out of it, that means he draws dirty pictures on things." I mean, that's middle school kid behavior, not stoner/hippie behavior.

Other than that, much better episode than last week. Just hoping the more off color jokes don't get out of hand. Disney has a bit of a history with those.
Clapd madly* exactly exactly! You got what I meant exactly! The Mayhem needs to have more respect than just being reduced to a pile of junk food eating drug junkies I mean it's really a disservice to the group. Why reduce them to a one note dead horse joke?