Henson/Oz/Frith Interview: Question about Animal

Gonzo14

Reaction score

I'm guessing most of you have seen this, but if you haven't, it's a video with Jim Henson, Frank Oz, and Michael Frith talking about the core characters, both in their personality and in the puppet designs.

One thing I found interesting is that when Frank Oz is talking about Animal, he mentions that Animal likes Zoot and calls him "Zat". He goes into his Animal voice and says "Hi Zat" to demonstrate. I don't recall that ever being on screen anywhere. Is there a point in time when Animal actually called Zoot "Zat"? I normally wouldn't put much weight behind the claim, but it's different when it comes straight from Frank Oz's mouth.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Reading this, it hit me that it seems like Animal very rarely refers to other characters by name, and I don't think I've ever heard him refer to anybody from The Electric Mayhem by name.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Sometime after this thread was posted, there was an episode of "The Muppets" ("The Ex-Factor") where Animal refers to Zoot by name, and he referred to him as "Zoot" instead of "Zat".

Considering Zoot isn't referred to by name that often, I say it's best that Animal not call him "Zat". Those unfamiliar with his name might start calling him by the wrong name.

LipsGF4Life

Reaction score

I'm guessing most of you have seen this, but if you haven't, it's a video with Jim Henson, Frank Oz, and Michael Frith talking about the core characters, both in their personality and in the puppet designs.

One thing I found interesting is that when Frank Oz is talking about Animal, he mentions that Animal likes Zoot and calls him "Zat". He goes into his Animal voice and says "Hi Zat" to demonstrate. I don't recall that ever being on screen anywhere. Is there a point in time when Animal actually called Zoot "Zat"? I normally wouldn't put much weight behind the claim, but it's different when it comes straight from Frank Oz's mouth.
Love

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Re: "Zat"

Probably an off-camera thing. Just Frank goofing around with Animal. But it's such an obscure Frank bit that it simply hasn't continued on through the years.

Gonzo14

Reaction score
Yeah I agree. It's still fun to watch Jim and Frank dive into their personalities.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
I wonder how much of Animal is Oz, since he put a bit of himself in all his characters.