Diamond Select Toys to Produce new Muppet figures and mini mates!

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
If you mean the figures, I guess they're just all happy. This is unlikely, but wouldn't it be cool if their mouths could open and close?
Well I was half-joking as they all appear to be looking at something with their mouths agape.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I'll be the first (and perhaps only) person to say it, but I'm out. Personally speaking, I don't see what these bring above and beyond what Palisades did, other than more articulation, and are in most other aspects inferior. I was genuinely hoping for something more. These will be good for those who missed out on Palisades and don't want to pay the inflated prices though. The one big positive I will say is the colour of Kermit is way better than Palisades - I really dislike their chosen green!
As a collector I completely understand that sentiment. You collect a whole series and then some company starts all over again. However, Palisades' run ended over a decade ago and this is basically Diamond Select making their version of Muppet toys. There are similarities and differences.

There's greater articulation (Fozzie seems to have 11 points compared to Palisades' 5) but fewer types of plastics and accessories it seems.

I know for a fact the team worked very hard and built these new sculpts from the ground up using photographic materials of the puppets as the primary source. I think it's kind of brave to take on something that had already been done so well. There's also the opportunity to get things right that weren't quite nailed the first time out. For example, Camilla looks a lot more like herself here.

Also, the price point that I heard was an SRP of $24.99. That would include TWO figures packed together and it seems maybe a THIRD in some instances. That's less than $12.50 per figure and well under the final Palisades' SRP's. So the price is actually amazing!

That said, I think these are made for people who missed out on the Palisades and uber collectors who want more Muppet goodness. They will also have a much larger commercial reach than Palisades. No one will ever touch those classic Palisades toys. It was a magical time when smaller companies could make some great things. I just think these are pretty super in their own right. It's clear a lot of love went into these. :wink:

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
Does anybody know the scale of these compared to the Pallisade figures?

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Does anybody know the scale of these compared to the Pallisade figures?
The thing I heard is that these will be in scale with how tall Muppets would be compared to Diamond Select's other human figures in other lines. I don't quite know what that means, but I guess we'll find out. I'm thinking that'll make them larger than palisades by a half inch. That's just a wild guess.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
The thing I heard is that these will be in scale with how tall Muppets would be compared to Diamond Select's other human figures in other lines. I don't quite know what that means, but I guess we'll find out. I'm thinking that'll make them larger than palisades by a half inch. That's just a wild guess.
Thanks. I'm not sure I want or can stick more money into another line of Muppet figures after having almost the complete set of Palisades. Would be nice to fill-in some of the missing figures though.

That could be a problem for the success of this line and I'm sure they considered it.

Bear Man

Reaction score
Not a fan. It looks like they reviewed a Muppet comic book in order to design them (Fozzie and Gonzo in particular). Scooter is the closest to a "puppet" look, but even he's more illustrated than "real"

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Guess I'd be in the camp of those who are looking to see which Muppets weren't made by Palisades to add just those to the overall cast. Not sure whether that will help or hurt the new DST franchise, and it kind of hurts a little personally because it says to the retailers people aren't interested because they aren't buying so future attempts at more Muppets or Sesame or Fraggles are hindered in the process.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
Guess I'd be in the camp of those who are looking to see which Muppets weren't made by Palisades to add just those to the overall cast. Not sure whether that will help or hurt the new DST franchise, and it kind of hurts a little personally because it says to the retailers people aren't interested because they aren't buying so future attempts at more Muppets or Sesame or Fraggles are hindered in the process.
For me it's not a matter of not wanting them. They look fantastic. It's a matter of sticking more money into another line of figures. And then there is the matter of the space to display them as the Palisades set already takes up quite a bit. In the end, my love for the Muppets and need for these figures will probably win out though.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Popularity of action figures depends on the characters being featured in a current popular project. The Muppets have that. It would be nice if the die hard fans who bought the Palisades would buy these too, but that is not the primary factor for success.

As for filling in the gaps, DST hasn't reported the size except to say that the scale of these will be different than Palisades. We'll see, I guess.

Muppetboy09

Reaction score
The only thing that I am a little dissapointed with is the textures. For example, I feel that Fozzie's fur has been smoothed out a bit too much, rather than the ragged edges on the Palisades version. Besides that (and Blue nose Gonzo), they look pretty good! Scooter looks spot on!