Disability Corner

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I have a very hard time hearing sometimes. It get real annoying for people around me when I ask the to repeat themselves over and over.

PuppetMad

Reaction score
I have a very hard time hearing sometimes. It get real annoying for people around me when I ask the to repeat themselves over and over.
Don't worry about it man, if you don't catch what they say don't feel bad about asking them to repeat it, just ask them to speak a little louder because sometimes you don't hear so well, if they have a problem with that then that's their problem. Failing that you could wear a badge all the time saying speak LOUDER and keep pointing to it when you cant hear, or a badge with a little speaker on ant keep tapping it and when someone asks what are you doing just say im having trouble hearing you so im trying to make my speaker louder, hopefully they will find it funny and speak up for you.

PuppetMad

Reaction score
Don't worry about it man, if you don't catch what they say don't feel bad about asking them to repeat it, just ask them to speak a little louder because sometimes you don't hear so well, if they have a problem with that then that's their problem. Failing that you could wear a badge all the time saying speak LOUDER and keep pointing to it when you cant hear, or a badge with a little speaker on ant keep tapping it and when someone asks what are you doing just say im having trouble hearing you so im trying to make my speaker louder, hopefully they will find it funny and speak up for you.
I just thought that some of the things I said in my post might be seen as abit nasty or at least a bit flippant ( the badge stuff), I wasn't trying to make light of your problem and if it came across like that I apologise.

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
I have ADHD and nonverbal learning disorder (or NLD for short). NLD is similar to aspergers. I've always had trouble with spatial skills, math, hand coordination, and reading people's facial expressions. When I was a little boy, Mom would yell things like
"CAN'T YOU TELL HOW MAD I AM!" and I wouldn't even notice. Another thing I would do is talk majority about things I like. For example, we were at the park once and these group of older kids asked me if I wanted to play ball with them and I brought up something completely off topic about The Muppets. The kids looked at me weird and one girl even rolled her eyes and said something rude which really made my mom angry. Unlike a lot of people with aspergers, I don't have trouble with sarcasm. Heck, most of the videos I make have sarcastic jokes by the dozen. I am also a big Mad magazine fan which says something about me understanding sarcasm. Mom tells me that when I was little I would "bounce off the walls" as she would call it. She says that I would spend all day running and playing. Even though I don't remember this, I've been told then when I was 2, I had a tendency to, well, let's just say "scream bloody murder" when I didn't get my way. You know how most kids throw tantrums, well any time someone said no to me, I would scream at the top of my lungs. It didn't matter how little the issue was, I would do it no matter what including in public. I also have a tendency to get obsessed with/addicted to things. For example, last year I became addicted to Family Guy. It was all I ever talked about, quoted, and joked about which started getting my family mad. Let's just say they were sicking of hearing a bad impression of Peter Griffin all the time, lol. But the thing is over the years, I've learned to overcome these issues and am now perfectly fine and happy. I strongly believe that aspergers doesn't mean you CAN'T do things, just that you have to try harder than most people.

Colbynfriends

Reaction score
I've suffered from Muscular Dystrophy my whole life, as well as respiratory issues. Was on a ventilator until 9/10 years old and it was around 11 I started getting weak enough to need the use of a wheelchair. I also have had three corrective surgeries to fix / "fix" my scoliosis. It's offered me a new lease of live but it's been hard as h3ll to deal with at some points. But my key is to have a great and loving support team behind you (which this website gave me quite a few people to talk to back when I joined in 2006 and I still talk to some today, despite me not being on as much).

WemblinFool18

Reaction score
I have attention deficit disorder, but mine is as a result of receiving chemotherapy at a young age. The chemicals did some damage, and it's commonly referred to as "chemo brain". I've always had extreme difficulties with sensory processing (mainly auditory), and memory. It is getting better, though, little by little.

ShMuppetgal96

Reaction score
I have Asperger's syndrome as well, and self diagnosed ADD. I get anxious and overemotional about things, but have multiple interests- like Muppets!

I am definitely better than I was when I was nine, but mostly thanks to anxiety medication and practicing my social skills. Which still aren't perfect, but a big improvement.

This could explain why I got so excited up at the mic at D23

mariolover

Reaction score
I have high functioning autism. When I was about 2 years old (back when my autism was a lot bigger than it is now), I hardly ever talked, and when I did, it was mostly echolalic (repeating things that other people said) because I didn't know how to communicate properly. I also couldn't point. Back then, a doctor told my parents that because of my autism I would never amount to anything and that I would need to be sent to a special school. The doctor was wrong because luckily, I have some awesome parents that believed in me and never gave up on me. They sent me to ABA therapy, put me on a gluten-free/casein-free diet, gave me a ton of supplements, and did a lot of other stuff to help me. And it worked. Now I am a very successful 16 (almost 17 year old) who is in a regular school in regular classes with good grades and a lot of friends who like and support me. I am also a runner on my school's cross country and track teams. I had to work extremely hard to get to where I am now and I could've just given up and let my autism rule me. A lot of people are inspired by how hard I have worked to get through all of my challenges when a lot people would just give up when it gets hard. I have taught other people many things as I have showed them that just because you have autism doesn't necessarily mean that you can't have a successful life. I still have minor struggles in life occasionally, but I get through them when they come

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
Because of my autism, I can't tie my shoes. And now I have to learn how to tie them. But I know that if I don't give up with learning how to tie and keep doing it right, I will be able to do it and be very proud of myself that I did.

Last edited:

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
Because of my autism, I can't tie my shoes. And now I have to learn how to tie them. But I know that if I don't give up with learning how to tie and keep doing it right, I will be able to do it and be very proud of myself that I did.
I've been there, WhoseLineFan. Because of my NLD, I wasn't able to tie my shoes up until I was 14. It took me practically months of practice until I was finally able to do it and when I was able, I was proud of myself.

Last edited: