The Muppets Episode 3 - Bear Left Then Bear Write

What did you think of "The Muppets" episode "Bear Left Then Bear Write"?

• Absolutely positively! This episode was great!

Votes: 33 64.7%
  • Bork bork! This episode was good.

Votes: 15 29.4%
  • Mee mee. This episode was so-so.

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • You're all weirdos! This episode was disappointing.

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I kinda liken it to this. Remember the on-line videos of the Sesame Street characters doing obscene things that are out there? Bert and Ernie in bed together? Oscar flipping the bird? The supposed humor in those is the contrast between the innocence of the Sesame Street characters and the obscene gestures they are portraying. It's almost like that's what the writers are striving for.
Yup, I said that earlier, and I think you might have something there. The network probably is feeling threatened by the Internet as usual and thinks it can compete somehow by copying what young people seek online. But yeah, just because I enjoy the occasional off color parody doesn't mean I want to see it coming from the actual Muppets, lol.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Well, if you can't see the difference in context between Kermit and Miss Piggy having a drink while getting to know each other in the Muppet Movie and the Muppets going out and getting totally plastered, not showing up for work or showing up for work hungover as in tonight's episode there's really no point in discussing this anymore. There's a big big difference in the character of the Muppets in the two scenes.

I kinda liken it to this. Remember the on-line videos of the Sesame Street characters doing obscene things that are out there? Bert and Ernie in bed together? Oscar flipping the bird? The supposed humor in those is the contrast between the innocence of the Sesame Street characters and the obscene gestures they are portraying. It's almost like that's what the writers are striving for. Fozzie as a thief. The Electric Mayhem as stoners. The Muppet gang getting plastered. I don't have a problem with edgy humor from the Muppets but so far I've seen mostly sophomoric humor and lazy writing. They can do much better.

And I'm kinda sick of anybody that is critical of the new show being labeled as non-Muppet fans. If anything, they are proving themselves to be very dedicated Muppet fans as they aren't willing to accept anything from the Muppets and care very much for how they are treated. It is possible to still love the Muppets and be critical of them at the same time.
Oh my gosh, so adults can not get drunk, wow, the muppets probably got drunk at some point "BEHIND THE SCENES" which is exactly what the point of the show is, if you're not happy with this then watch those disney junior muppet shorts that certainly do the muppets justice by making them another version of SS, if TMS was made today it would be more adult, because back then you couldn't do much on television that was edgy, The Electric Mayhem has always been implied as stoners.

Fozzie, a theif, ya like he totally broke into Jay Leno's house, and held everyone at gunpoint, and shot Jay Leno unti he gave him a bowl. His intentions were not brutal, he was just exicted, sheesh, all he did was take a little bowl, and WANT to give it back, he was naive and I would expect that is how Fozzie would react, but if you're going to hate on the muppets for getting drunk and having mild sexual references then that's your opinion not mine, it was marketed as a more adult muppet show.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
See, here we go again. Anybody that is critical of the new show is labeled as a hater and told to go elsewhere.

And if you think Kermit bragging about being one of the best at manipulating people is true to his character then I don't know what else to say.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Oh my gosh, so adults can not get drunk
No one said that. Again, it's a question of execution.

if you're not happy with this then watch those disney junior muppet shorts that certainly do the muppets justice by making them another version of SS
Serious question, what other way can we make it clear that we like it when the Muppets are edgy? This is getting beyond silly.

TMS was made today it would be more adult, because back then you couldn't do much on television that was edgy
How you watched much '70s Television? The opposite is true.

The Electric Mayhem has always been implied as stoners.
Key word being implied.

if you're going to hate on the muppets
We've been defending the Muppets actually, whether it's referencing Rainbow Connection, Muppets Take Manhattan, or The Muppet Show. On no planet is that hating...except Koozebane maybe. :smile:

Last edited:

LouisTheOtter

Reaction score
I haven't had a chance to comment on this episode yet and even though I'm a week late (and will soon be commenting on "Pig Out") I think it's worth offering some thoughts.

From where I sit, this installment arguably did more to add layers to an existing Muppet relationship than any of the other three (although Piggy-and-Kermit in the first episode and Fozzie-and-Statler in "Pig Out" come close).

The way the writers and especially Steve and Eric as the performers handled the Kermit-and-Fozzie dynamic not only made me laugh out loud at several points but felt so true to the chemistry that the frog and the bear have had for the past 39 years. Kermit desperately doesn't want to hurt Fozzie's feelings but he also doesn't want the show to tank because of Fozzie's lousy sketch. That plotline could have come from pretty much anytime in the past 40 years. It shows that the writers and producers care about these characters and want us to keep caring about them, too.

So many wonderful little moments came out of that whole story - K&F "You the man!," Kermit trying to help Fozzie turn off his phone, "Hopefully if I hide in here, he'll think I'm a baseball trophy," "Maybe I can use THESE to look for my hat," "Once I licked my cousin and the walls started melting..."

And Fozzie jumping for the food in the woods! Seriously!!! I felt like I could watch that one 10-second clip hundreds of times. Just one more example of how amazing the puppetry and filming has become on this show. (Speaking of amazing, I tweeted that very same thought and Bob Kushnell favourited my tweet.) :smile: :smile: :smile:

Good use of the guest stars in this episode too. Liam Hemsworth spoofing his matinee-idol status, Christina Applegate pretty much killing every single scene she was in (echoing another MC post on this topic: I, too, would watch a buddy-comedy movie with her and Scooter), and Nick Offerman making ridiculous demands. I would have liked to see more of him but then I just miss Parks and Rec, particularly Ron Swanson, so maybe I'm a bit biased.

Scooter is emerging as an early-season MVP. I'm so happy that he's gotten some of the best lines after playing such a minor role for so many years. "The only thing embarrassing about that video was how I said 'Awww' as I watched it alone in my apartment." (I'm smiling again even as I type that line. Even though I don't like the thought of Scooter being alone. But it's early yet...) :wink:

And, one of the best things about this episode: We DVR'd it eight nights ago and Mrs. Otter insisted that we hang onto it instead of erasing it right away. (I desperately hope ABC/Disney is a lot faster in putting this show on DVD/Blu-Ray than they've been with TMS' last two seasons and MT's entire run.)

Obviously this show still stirs up high emotion on either side of the Muppet fandom but, from where I sit, so far, so GREAT!!!

drteethcool

Reaction score
I'd say learn a thing or two from other franchises that have successfully reinvented themselves, like the Transformers franchise (Transformers, not Bayformers!). Transformers Prime is a modern show that managed to explore more mature themes while still maintaining the innocence of the original G1 series. Hasbro has enough faith in, and understanding of, their product to keep what worked, nix what didn't, and expand on the possibilities of a new era. They're also aware that their audience doesn't want to meet strangers. They want the characters they've come to love.
that is a good idea

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
Booooooo!!:mad:
Come on. If she wasn't Kermit's new GF and if she had the magic triangle, everyone would think that she's an enjoyable character. To quote JD Hansel, "Right from the beginning when she says her first line, which is a little joke and she follows it up with a cute bu-dum-cha, it's like oh, gosh, I love you."