The Clarence thread

mr3urious

Reaction score
I'm loving the tension between Sumo and Chelsea. You can really tell those two want to sloppily make out again. :big_grin:

While I would think his refusal to Trick or Treat is weirdly out of character, his odd phobia of cheap, novelty Halloween decorations with those obnoxious cheap soundboxes is a perfect rationale for it.
Yeah, that seems like the case for not wanting to trick or treat, and I don't blame him.

Erine81981

Reaction score
Nice to know that with Halloween upcoming, they freed up one episode of Clarence. While I would think his refusal to Trick or Treat is weirdly out of character, his odd phobia of cheap, novelty Halloween decorations with those obnoxious cheap soundboxes is a perfect rationale for it. Some typically great Clarencey stuff here. Ruining a haunted house by trying to make it better, some needed screentime for Chelsea, Jeff doing his typical Jeff stuff. And of course, Clarence overreacting to and old folks home at Halloween. I especially liked the little Scooby-Doo sound effects nods, and Clarence being baffled by them.

I wonder if the old man was voiced by Jack Angel. Kinda sounded like him.
This was a pretty neat episode. I really did enjoy the scooby doo nod too. Finally got to see the Belson's Sleepover. I missed it last year so I was so hoping to see it and I did.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Rewatching the episode again, I realized they snuck in something very dark.

Remember how Jeff thought that the old haunted house was actually a cult gathering? And how he had pure panic when Mavis was spooning punch into her mouth?

Well... you can make the connection, right? Punch bowl at a cult?

It's been said that Doomsday cults poison the punch so they can all drink it to commit ritualistic suicide. That's where the term "drinking the Kool-Aid" comes from. If you saw early Family Guy episodes, you know.

That is a seriously dark joke they threw into that series.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Okay, I'm rewatching "Chalmers Santiago" and I just got something.

Remember how in the Pilot Belson lived in the house across from Clarence?

Seems he's been squatting in that house all along.

Erine81981

Reaction score
Okay, I'm rewatching "Chalmers Santiago" and I just got something.

Remember how in the Pilot Belson lived in the house across from Clarence?

Seems he's been squatting in that house all along.
You don't mean?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yep. he's a spoiled little brat who sometimes sneaks off to an abandoned house so he doesn't have to answer for his mother who doesn't do much to discipline him anyway. That said, that takes away my theory he was crashing at that house after the events of Dust Buddies.

Drtooth

Reaction score
In an episode that almost seems to channel a certain episode of Recess, one litigious parent ruins the playground for everyone. And true to form, Clarence is the only one that doesn't let it keep him down. Or Belson, for that matter, who doesn't care. Love how the kid kept popping his (ahem) cheeks on a rock every time.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
In an episode that almost seems to channel a certain episode of Recess, one litigious parent ruins the playground for everyone. And true to form, Clarence is the only one that doesn't let it keep him down. Or Belson, for that matter, who doesn't care. Love how the kid kept popping his (ahem) cheeks on a rock every time.
"Lost Playground" was absolutely brilliant, and was an episode that needed to be made. It illustrates the hidden dangers of those boring babyfied playgrounds, overbearing lawsuit-happy parents, and school admins that bend over backwards to them and hurt kids even more in the long run. It even shows that danger can't be eliminated 100% of the time.

Also gotta love the episode that followed it that parodied police procedurals in a way not seen since Fillmore left the airwaves over a decade and a half ago.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I enjoyed seeing Sumo's softer side in last night's episode, caring for some baby roadrunners and trying to care for one who has trouble leaving the nest... er, car trunk. Gotta love how the climax subtly referenced a certain Golden Age zip-chase duo, too. :smile: