The Muppets Episode 5 - Walk the Swine

What did you think of "The Muppets" episode "Walk the Swine"?

• Absolutely positively! This episode was great!

• Bork bork! This episode was good.

• Mee mee. This episode was so-so.

• You're all weirdos! This episode was disappointing.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
More like character derailment. Unless they give reasons WHY he's suddenly like that it's not development at all, just flanderization.
I prefer floyd as snarky and easy going, not scitzo
You mean a hippie character is anti-government? Why, that makes no sense!

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
More like character derailment. Unless they give reasons WHY he's suddenly like that it's not development at all, just flanderization.
They are taking a lot of liberties (and generalizations) with these characters. I think they're aiming at the crowd that isn't as into the Muppets as we are but knows just enough, but I totally agree with you; it just doesn't feel right.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
There's a difference between Character Development, Flanderization, and Characterization Marches On.

Character development is what happens to a character who experiences a progressive growth and evolution over the course of a series (or whatever body of work) that's brought on by the atmosphere and world around them effecting them in a way one might experience in real life.

Flanderization is when a character de-evolves into a one-dimensional representation of a certain aspect or trait of their personality that becomes pretty much the only thing about them after a while (which many people say what's happened to Piggy).

Characterization Marches On is what happens when a character is portrayed in one manner, then randomly and unexpectedly portrayed in another fashion altogether that bears little resemblance to how the character acted and behaved beforehand and usually results in canon discontinuity.

Ruahnna

Reaction score
There's a difference between Character Development, Flanderization, and Characterization Marches On.

Character development is what happens to a character who experiences a progressive growth and evolution over the course of a series (or whatever body of work) that's brought on by the atmosphere and world around them effecting them in a way one might experience in real life.

Flanderization is when a character de-evolves into a one-dimensional representation of a certain aspect or trait of their personality that becomes pretty much the only thing about them after a while (which many people say what's happened to Piggy).

Characterization Marches On is what happens when a character is portrayed in one manner, then randomly and unexpectedly portrayed in another fashion altogether that bears little resemblance to how the character acted and behaved beforehand and usually results in canon discontinuity.
Dearheart, you're brilliant. That was shockingly well-said.

Your a description made me think of comic books and the way we get used to a character drawn by a particular artist in a particular style and we begin to think of that representation as the "real" character. This always strikes me as particularly ironic when the "real" character is, for example, blue and fuzzy or green and ginormous.

That said, Piggy's being portrayed as very one-note and silly. ERIC ought to pitch a grand diva fit of his own.

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Lovely turn of phrase, my dear.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I have been on the fence somewhat with the writing of some of the characters mostly Kermit and Piggy, but it's starting to grow on me. I finally understand why Piggy is acting the way she is....She is hurting. The one person she allowed herself to truly love has turned around and crushed her. Sure it was not a perfect love, but what love is really perfect? Piggy in a lot of ways is unraveling, because of the break up of Kermit. She even admitted to the fact when she told Kermit she was having a bad year, to which the frog just shrugged off. I have a feeling that Piggy is going to continue going down hill to the point that Kermit finally realizes that she needs him.

As for the puppetry again I am just amazed at what they are doing. I could just see Jim Henson light up with joy with all these new advances.

I honestly give this one a 5 out of 5!

Ruahnna

Reaction score
I have a feeling that Piggy is going to continue going down hill to the point that Kermit finally realizes that she needs him.
If Kermit gets back together with Piggy because she can't function without him--that's not love. That's enablement.

Piggy doesn't need pity-dating. She a warm, wonderful, sexy, amazing wo-pig and she deserves someone who can see THAT--not someone who stays with her out of a sense of obligation. That's icky.

And if Kermit only begins to date her so that he can use her commercially--double yuck.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I have been on the fence somewhat with the writing of some of the characters mostly Kermit and Piggy, but it's starting to grow on me. I finally understand why Piggy is acting the way she is....She is hurting. The one person she allowed herself to truly love has turned around and crushed her. Sure it was not a perfect love, but what love is really perfect? Piggy in a lot of ways is unraveling, because of the break up of Kermit. She even admitted to the fact when she told Kermit she was having a bad year, to which the frog just shrugged off. I have a feeling that Piggy is going to continue going down hill to the point that Kermit finally realizes that she needs him.

As for the puppetry again I am just amazed at what they are doing. I could just see Jim Henson light up with joy with all these new advances.

I honestly give this one a 5 out of 5!
Well, that's a good way of looking at it, but she was 'flanderized' even before they broke up.

I like your thoughts though and that is a good way for the story to progress. We'll just have to see what happens in future episodes.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Well even with the world series, ratings were up 9% for the muppets. It got a 1.4 up from last week's 1.3, this is a sigh of relief, because I really expected it to drop, and face cancellation, hopefully this upward trend continues, better for the muppets being on par with the rest of the lineup.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/10/28/tv-ratings-tuesday-oct-27-2015/480850/

If it can get this against the world series, could it do better without competing against it, overal positive night.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
I found out that the song that makes Fozzie emotional was sung on Sesame Street Live. And it's pretty awesome; they didn't even change the lyrics. Skip to 5:48 to hear it: