The Charlie Brown and Snoopy Thread!

Drtooth

Reaction score
There's going to be another collection of specials of Emmy Winning or nominated variety.

Now, of note, these 11 specials include "She's a Good Skate," the special with the distinction of having adults talk and being voiced by Marcia Wallace to boot (hopefully in the full, original version, and not the hacked up piece of crap ABC airs). Also included is the one where they meet the girl with cancer, also known as the very depressing one that drops the Peanuts usual tone.

Some of these have been released before, but some of them haven't. The companion piece to "Bon Voyage, and Don't Come Back" is also included, though it's only really good if you watch the movie first. Even then, it does come off like a few deleted scenes if anything.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Now, of note, these 11 specials include "She's a Good Skate," the special with the distinction of having adults talk and being voiced by Marcia Wallace to boot (hopefully in the full, original version, and not the hacked up piece of crap ABC airs).
Wow, I didn't know Marcia Wallace was in that special.

I'm sure it won't be the current edited-for-television version. Most video releases of the specials are uncut, with some exceptions (Coca-Cola plugs in A Charlie Brown Christmas, some of Peppermint Patty's original lines in It's Your First Kiss, Charlie Brown).

Wow, most of those specials came out in the 1980s. It's almost as if they want to do an '80s-themed set. Though some of those specials were made in the 1970s, and I'm surprised there's no 1960s specials (I would have thought that A Charlie Brown Christmas or It's the Great Pumpkin were at least nominated).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I was looking at the Peanuts animation website, which lists what's included in the upcoming "Emmy specials" collection, as well as whether something was nominated or won, and only one of the included specials actually won.

I mentioned that this seems like an honorary "1980s collection", as only a few from the 1970s and nothing from the 1960s is included. And I saw that most of the '60s specials were at least nominated (and several of the '70s specials were). It looks like all of the half-hour '80s specials are included (it helps that they were all nominated for Emmy's), and even though most of them are currently on DVD, I don't have most of them (I have the 1960s and 1970s collections, but none of the single-disc releases). If you only got the decades releases and skipped the single-disc releases, then there's not going to be much double-dipping here.

Somehow I'm thinking they must have decided not to include the holiday specials. Or maybe they actually want to be considerate and not give us another release of the most-popular specials for the hundredth time (that number's an exaggeration).

I looked at a list of what specials have been nomianted for Emmy's, and saw several of the documentaries and anniversary specials were nominated or won. It's too bad none of those are included, though I'm not sure whether Warner has the video rights to any of those (I think some of them were released on VHS from Paramount, and I've read that the 50th anniversary special has issues keeping it from getting a video release).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I've noticed how Peppermint Patty and Marcie both have crushes on Charlie Brown, yet Charlie Brown doesn't show much interest. It seems like he's annoyed by Peppermint Patty's affection, but is he oblivious to Marcie's? I feel like Marcie would be a better match for Charlie Brown than Peppermint Patty.

And yet in Race for Your Life, Charlie Brown, there's that scene where Peppermint Patty dances with Snoopy (she seems to also have a little crush on Snoopy) while Marcie dances with Franklin, and then Charlie Brown wonders if any girls will ask him to dance. Too bad the two that do like him that way were already dancing with others.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I've never really noticed much crushing coming from Marcie as I have Peppermint Patty; I don't think it's so much that Charlie Brown is annoyed by Peppermint Patty's crushing (though he does show some) as it is he only has eyes for the Little Red-Haired Girl.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Marcie being shy and subtle drops hints once in a while. Pep is usually the one who's more forward with it. I can't remember specific examples except for the rare special "A Charlie Brown Celebration" where Chuck is in the hospital and visiting hours are over and Pep and Marcie have to yell things from outside his window. Marcie says "we love you, Chuck." There's another one I can't remember.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Marcie being shy and subtle drops hints once in a while. Pep is usually the one who's more forward with it. I can't remember specific examples except for the rare special "A Charlie Brown Celebration" where Chuck is in the hospital and visiting hours are over and Pep and Marcie have to yell things from outside his window. Marcie says "we love you, Chuck." There's another one I can't remember.
Yeah, Marcie keeps talking about her crush on Charlie Brown to Peppermint Patty, including a comment that she hopes Charlie Brown asks him to the prom when they're older, and Peppermint Patty takes her to the hospital, thinking there;s something wrong with her (despite Patty having a crush on Chuck as well... Maybe she was just trying to get Marcie out of the way?).

It bothers me a little how the animated adaptation of "You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown" had to use Marcie in place of Patty in a scene where she tells Charlie Brown that she's giving Valentines to every boy she likes, only to kill Charlie Brown's hopes when she reveals that the one with the initials "C.B." are for a different kid. I feel like that's one scene that should have just kept in Patty. I even think Peppermint Patty could have fit that scene (despite her being more direct in her crush on Charlie Brown).

I don't think it's so much that Charlie Brown is annoyed by Peppermint Patty's crushing (though he does show some) as it is he only has eyes for the Little Red-Haired Girl.
Well, Charlie Brown also had a crush on Peggy Jean, who liked him back (and Charlie wasn't too shy to talk to her). There was also a girl he liked who was in his dance class, I think her name was Emily, she actually invited him to a dance sometime later and he was happy to accept. And of course there's the girl he likes in Someday You'll Find Her, Charlie Brown, and the girl he and Linus compete for in You're in the Super Bowl, Charlie Brown.

Man, for Charlie Brown being a loser, there sure are a lot of girls who actually do like him.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I've noticed the least toxic relationship he has with any of the other human characters are from Linus, and Peppermint Patty's crew. I've always been confused by the fact that there's at least 3 people (and a dog) that like him a lot, and it feels like he focuses on those who either have a complicated relationship with him or don't feel strongly enough either way.

I'd imagine that Chuck has complicated feelings with Peppermint Patty because she's so forward and assertive enough to almost be aggressive. But then again, the strip is about no one really being happy, except for Snoopy who's always escaping reality. Heh. The comic strip was always pretty depressing. All love was unrequited, Charlie Brown could never get his stuff together, the wisest person in the strip is so insecure himself he carries around a blanket.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I've noticed the least toxic relationship he has with any of the other human characters are from Linus, and Peppermint Patty's crew. I've always been confused by the fact that there's at least 3 people (and a dog) that like him a lot, and it feels like he focuses on those who either have a complicated relationship with him or don't feel strongly enough either way.
It seems like Schroeder is nice to him as well. Especially with Schroeder being the one to stand up for Charlie Brown in Be My Valentine Charlie Brown.

Though I'm remembering a scene from You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown. Can't remember if it's in the special, but my middle school library had a book of the script, and I recall one part where Charlie Brown and Lucy list people who don't like him. It stuck out to me that he listed Linus (really???), but I think he also listed Schroeder as well.

I've noticed that in Happy New Year, Charlie Brown, Charlie Brown struggles with having to do a book report on War and Peace during holiday break, but in The Peanuts Movie, he does his book report on that same book, waiting until the weekend to even pick a book (which Marcie refers to as the best literature there is, but also questions if he really wants to read it), and doesn't have as much trouble spending the whole weekend on that book.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I recently saw that Warner Home Video has given Peanuts the "...and Friends" treatment, having released "Charlie Brown and Friends", which is disc 2 of The 1970s Collection. I didn't realize this at first, though I thought it was weird to see that the "Peanuts in the 1970s" featurette was included. I especially thought it was weird to see "What a Nightmare Charlie Brown" included, since Charlie Brown is only in a little of that special (I thought that would be more appropriate for a potential "Snoopy and Friends" release). It took a few hours of thinking about this for it all to dawn on me that it was half of an existing release.