Puppet-in-Progress: From the foam up

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Hey Slackbot, I was wondering the next time you build a puppet, could you possibly show us a step-by-step WIP of how you go about attaching the rods inside the hands? I know you said earlier in the thread that you have a little sleeve inside the hand that the head of the rod goes into, and that the head of the rod is part of a safety pin attached to the rod itself, but I'd really love to see exactly how you go about doing all of this - if it stays in place as well as you say, how do you remove it from inside that little sleeve without the pin catching and snagging the inside of it?

Slackbot

Reaction score
I'll be honest, the rods do tend to slip a little, especially if you let them hang. I cut the pointy end off of the pin so it won't snag on the fabric, and wrap very heavy thread around the rod where it attaches to the pin for traction. If I know that I want the rod there for the forseeable future I just sew the opening tight around the rod. The fleece hides the thread, which is black, so I can easily see it and cut it without any harm if I decide to remove the rod.

I try to make the sleeve and socket tight enough that it'll hold onto the rod & pin and won't let them slide around, but not so tight that you have to fight to get the rods in and out. (You do have to wiggle 'em a bit.)

I'll post some close-up photos that should help. If I don't get to this in the next few days nudge me, OK?

Bear Man

Reaction score
BJ Guyer suggests a pretty large (1/2 inch) square flag at the end of arm rods that he then places double stick tape on before slipping into the palm pocket - I tried that with my arm rods and they work perfectly even without the double stick tape...

LamangoNumber2

Reaction score
I'd love to see more of Skeeter. Like, what did you do to get her eyes perfect? The hair?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'm curious too, if you haven't already mentioned (I haven't checked in on this thread in a while) what material(s) did you use for Skeeter's glasses? The only time i've ever made glasses for a puppet, I used cardboard and foamies. :smirk:

Slackbot

Reaction score
*laughs* The lenses for Skeeter's glasses are plastic spoons from Kroger! I cut off the handles, then sanded them until that edge was round.

The frames...that was much trickier. I have some black vinyl placemats I bought for craft purposes waaaay back in the '90s, and I used those for the front of the frames. The earpieces were chopped off of dollar shop sunglasses. I put thick black florists' wire on the back of the vinyl to stiffen it, and the earpieces attach to that wire.

I used Gorilla Glue rather than contact cement. The first time I made these glasses I used hot glue, and that made a big nasty mess on the back. Gorilla Glue goes on clear, so unless people are really looking for it they won't notice the wire and glue and stuff.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
*laughs* The lenses for Skeeter's glasses are plastic spoons from Kroger! I cut off the handles, then sanded them until that edge was round.

The frames...that was much trickier. I have some black vinyl placemats I bought for craft purposes waaaay back in the '90s, and I used those for the front of the frames. The earpieces were chopped off of dollar shop sunglasses. I put thick black florists' wire on the back of the vinyl to stiffen it, and the earpieces attach to that wire.

I used Gorilla Glue rather than contact cement. The first time I made these glasses I used hot glue, and that made a big nasty mess on the back. Gorilla Glue goes on clear, so unless people are really looking for it they won't notice the wire and glue and stuff.
And that all sounds a lot better than cardboard and foamies. :stick_out_tongue: