The Sonic Boom Thread

Drtooth

Reaction score
The crowning joke was Knuckles not trusting Sonic to flip a coin, giving it to Tails and calling heads.

Anyone else getting the feeling that Sonic doesn't so much see Eggman as a villain so much as a depressingly crazy individual who would be the biggest danger to himself, and that's why they have a more complicated relationship? Like, almost a Finn and Ice King type thing going? I kinda like that touch. Sure, Sonic X did hint at a friendly enemies vibe from time to time. Here, Sonic almost seems to feel sorry for him.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Also, I just found out that the episode was written by Dave Polsky, the same guy who wrote the episode "Feeling Pinkie Keen" from Friendship is Magic, which has a similar element involving one character getting lucky at the expense of another.

Drtooth

Reaction score
This show just keeps getting better. I'd say it's funnier than AOSTH was, and I'm a huge AOSTH fan. Even got an animation cel, my first one in fact, from Trail of the Missing Tails (when Scratch, Grounder, and Coconuts are about to Grab tails, specifically).

In fact, I'd say that a motivational speaker visiting Eggman feels like it could have been a concept for AOSTH, but this way it plays off much, much better. Eggman letting Soar the Eagle go because he had too much confidence was funny, but it was genius that Eggman let indecision destroy him so he was worse than before. Not to mention how the Sonic group minus Sonic was trying to motivate Eggman by marching with pots and pans. Another episode where I laugh solidly through the 10 minutes.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Seems like CN is now airing new episodes on the weekdays one at a time like with the other shows. It's what they should have done to begin with.

Gotta love how Dave the Intern is getting more screen time, as seen in the episode "Chez Amy".

Drtooth

Reaction score
Long rant short, that's what I don't like about their line up. Sonic Boom was made to be one of their 15 minute short shows, and it would have made a better fit in it's weeknight line up. Instead, it gets the terrible Saturday morning slot. It got successful regardless of its terrible timeslot and awful tie-in games, so it really should get some weekday rerunning of some sort instead of one of the 50 Teen Titans cartoons they show a day.

But whatever. I'm LOVING Sticks in the Mega Man/Sonic/Mega Man X/other Capcom and Sega properties crossover. She seems to play a bigger role than it suggests. They had a nice scene (that was too short) where Sticks was bonding with a Mega Man comic exclusive conspiracy nut villain. Especially the line where she asks him to explain the Illuminati again, only to have her respond with "That's crazy." Also a good little aside with Sticks coaching video game universe Knuckles to bulk up.

tutter_fan

Reaction score
Did anyone see the episode where Tails makes a robot that translates what they're saying into what they're really feeling? HILARIOUS!!!!!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Role Models was delightfully subversive. Love how Sticks just up and left at the concept of having to be a behavioral example. Not to mention some more great Dr. Eggman stuff. Occasional Grammy Nomination? Hilarious. Really is a shame the games hurt the reputation of the series.

And you know what? The more I think about it and the more episodes of the show I watch, the more I think that this series is essentially Teen Titans Go done right! Think about it. Wackier versions of classically more serious characters dealing with odd subjects like that? The SB writers are quite better at the concept than the TTG ones.

mr3urious

Reaction score
And you know what? The more I think about it and the more episodes of the show I watch, the more I think that this series is essentially Teen Titans Go done right! Think about it. Wackier versions of classically more serious characters dealing with odd subjects like that? The SB writers are quite better at the concept than the TTG ones.
It also helps that the characters aren't moronic sociopaths.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Indeed. Giving the characters minor tweaks (well...except for Knuckles who got a MAJOR one) for comedic effect is much more effective than five Peter Griffins. Not to mention Sticks being an excellent addition to the team. There have always been new Sonic characters to add to the franchise, but I don't think we've seen one quite like Sticks. I'm sure she has her detractors and angry Sonic fanboys, but she's one of the breakout characters of the show if not the breakout character. I really hope that when all this Boom stuff is over, Sega keeps Sticks around in the mythos.

mr3urious

Reaction score
The season 1 finale came and went, and Shadow was finally introduced. I like how he's more of a legitimate threat here, but also how he's an over-the-top version of how he is in the games, being more aggressive and seeing friendship as a sign of weakness (in stark contrast to his sole friendship with Maria Robotnik in said games). I hope he gets to appear more often come season 2.