The Sonic Boom Thread

Drtooth

Reaction score
I hope their is a season two. It's a shame that the games were rushed out by Sega and actually damaging to the self contained reboot/alternate universe. Archie killed the comic book after barely a year (and that's all I'm saying about that), but the cartoon managed to become my absolute favorite Sonic show. Yes. Even edging out the SatAM series. Sticks, Orbot and Cubot became real break out characters, and I'm one of the few that probably likes what they did to Knuckles. Roger Craig Smith has become my favorite Sonic VA with this show. Glad they kept Mike Pollack as Eggman, too. I'd say he's a neck and neck close second with Long John Baldry as Rebotnik/Eggman, and I've enjoyed his work since Sonic X.

Didn't see the episode yet, but I saw clips of Shadow. Indeed, if there is a second season, I want to see more Sonic game characters pop up on the series. And if it doesn't, I really want Sega to retcon Sticks into the franchise.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I hope their is a season two. It's a shame that the games were rushed out by Sega and actually damaging to the self contained reboot/alternate universe. Archie killed the comic book after barely a year (and that's all I'm saying about that), but the cartoon managed to become my absolute favorite Sonic show. Yes. Even edging out the SatAM series. Sticks, Orbot and Cubot became real break out characters, and I'm one of the few that probably likes what they did to Knuckles. Roger Craig Smith has become my favorite Sonic VA with this show. Glad they kept Mike Pollack as Eggman, too. I'd say he's a neck and neck close second with Long John Baldry as Rebotnik/Eggman, and I've enjoyed his work since Sonic X.

Didn't see the episode yet, but I saw clips of Shadow. Indeed, if there is a second season, I want to see more Sonic game characters pop up on the series. And if it doesn't, I really want Sega to retcon Sticks into the franchise.
Have no fear! Season 2 will be here!

http://translate.google.com/transla...aison-part-a-l-assaut-de-l-international.html

Last edited:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Thank Glob!

I really thought the way Sega handled things that this show was in jeopardy since, well... the cartoon seems like it was there to promote the game. Thankfully it seems the cartoon managed to rise up against the poor reception of the games.

DePingPong

Reaction score
How did I not see this thread before? Oh man, anyone excited for Sonic Boom: Fire and Ice? I hope it has more polish than Shattered Crystal

Drtooth

Reaction score
It really is a shame Sega pretty much torpedoed the franchise by not releasing better quality Sonic Boom games. I know there's supposed to be a second season, but don't know when the heck it's supposed to air, at least over here. This was supposed to be a huge product roll out and the games weren't good, the comic was a victim of Archie's restructuring, and while the cartoon has been supposedly successful, it's a shame that it didn't get the airplay it really needed.

On the plus side, there is a sign that the real breakout star of this version of the characters may just stick with the franchise outside of SB... Sticks is going to be in the next Sonic and Mario at the Olympic games volume. So that's a good thing. I felt Sticks to be one of the best things about the new series, right along with the first cartoon series appearance of Cubot and Orbot, my second favorite Robotnik/Eggman idiotic robot duo.

DePingPong

Reaction score
Second season airs in the Fall, they had a sign up at a toy fair promoting stuff for Boom/25th Anniversary and it said it'll air on CN in the Fall.

The games sadly suffered, although I did enjoy Rise of Lyric on my first playthrough, haven't touched it since.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's Christmas Rush for you. The games could have been better with more time and effort. The studio that made the game was pretty much ticked off at Sega, and that's putting it mildly. Supposedly Fire and Ice was postponed, so they learned their lesson there.

As for the cartoon, one of the best things about it for me is that at least Sonic X wasn't the last Sonic cartoon series. And even then, I praise Sonic X for making it so the last Sonic cartoon wasn't Sonic Underground, which I feel is the worst one. It seems like that could have worked and the concept actually seemed solid. And there are times it even has its moments, I have to admit. But overall, they had to throw in bad musical numbers with sing voice soundalikes that still didn't sound like they can sing, they had to toss in weak Aesops in every episode, and I still think that whatever anyone can say about Buff Knuckles, it's still a LOT better than how he was portrayed in Sonic Underground.

Sigh... he totally could have been in Sonic SatAM if ABC wasn't so...grrrrr about it because Power Rangers was killing them in the ratings. But no. His debut is a whiny, unlikable brat. How did they get that out of "brooding loner?" And with Sonic X, I did actually like that series, but it suffered "audience surrogate" syndrome with the human cast members. You know, because these Japanese series geared towards kids always have to have that tag-a-long type kid in there to say "here's something magical happening to a kid like you." Something they've done ever since the Godzilla movies, actually. While I'm no fan of Chris, I think Daniel Witwicky from Transformers Headmasters broke me... there has never been such a terrible tag-a-long kid as Daniel Witwicky in Headmasters. UGH... he constantly regresses to a small child in that thing and cries a lot. Yeah, Chris was at least well behaved.

DePingPong

Reaction score
I really dislike Underground, it would've been tons better without the cringeworthy songs every five minutes.

Boom TV show is wonderful, Sonic and Knuckles make for some hilarious episodes, like the episode with Metal Sonic.

Sonic X was okay at best in my opinion, it's tolerable at least. SatAM was awesome, loved the sinister feel of Robotnik. The darker atmosphere and the ongoing subplot with Uncle Chuck really grabbed my attention.

My favorite Sonic show is a tie between Boom and AoStH.

Drtooth

Reaction score
My only real problem with Sonic X is that it had to transport the characters to another world to justify the tie ins to the Sonic Adventure games. But I'll admit, at the end of the second season, they at least did something with it. I'm disappointed we never got a Sonic Anime series that took place in Sonic's world. The dub I'm ambivalent about. They did that stupid thing where they hide the show's Japaneseness when the audience full well knew it was from Japan. But I do like Mike Pollack as Eggman and glad he's stuck around. Other than that, it just suffered from being, well, a Japanese kid's show that had to have an audience surrogate in there. Same deal with the Ganbare Goemon anime and the odd Mega Man series of specials about Japanese culture.

But SatAm, AOSTH, and Boom are my favorites as well.

Meanwhile, Mario's last cartoon is Super Mario World. I really wish Nintendo were more open to adapting their characters for Western audiences. Oddly enough, the French CGI Donkey Kong series was a minor hit in Japan. Even got show specific merchandising that the rest of the world, not even France got.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Last night's episode of season 2 (dumped onto Boomerang, strong ratings be darned) which had Sonic's super speed experiment go horribly awry made a reference to Blast Processing, which was that buzzword Sega used for the Genesis/Megadrive to describe its fast CPU. That one really floored me. :smile: