The Lion Guard

mr3urious

Reaction score
I've gotta say, this whole Lion King meets The Avengers business has been real solid, especially considering its for preschoolers. The animation is especially beautiful, and very close in quality to the movies (surprised it isn't CG like so many other shows of its kind, but it's welcoming nonetheless). I also like the excessively brave honey badger character, who seems to idolize Timon & Pumbaa to a certain degree seeing as how he used one of Pumbaa's "gifts" to help rescue Kiara near the end. And you just gotta love that song with the hyenas and their laughing chorus.

Don't really know how Simba's youngest cub Kion fits into the continuity of the movies, as it takes place in between the 1st and 2nd ones. Maybe when he got a little older, he went to live on his own with the Lion Guard?

Drtooth

Reaction score
This special was pretty good, and I'm looking forward to the TV show it's spinning off to.

As far as continuity and Disney movies vs TV shows, I wouldn't think too much into it. These things rarely connect, and it's one of those movie is canon to the TV show, TV show is not canon to the movie deals I always mention when it comes to things like Ghostbusters and Men in Black.

Now I just wonder about the retconning this special did to the movie. So, Scar was bitter that he wasn't in charge because he had the roar and that was the reason he wanted to get rid of Mufasa. And he killed the others in the guard but it was so secretive that no one noticed he was a bad egg and close to killing Mufasa to begin with. Strange, I'll admit. It fits and all, but wouldn't Mufasa have known that or found out and banished Scar before the events of the first movie? Unless it was that secret. It works from the angle that Scar would have recruited (and bamboozled) the hyenas, but that's a strange little gap in logic.

Other than that, I could not watch this movie and not hear Harvey Beaks. Same deal with the new Peabody and Sherman cartoon. The badger could go either way for me. He speaks with an abundance of catchphrases, and it makes this movie more pilot-y than it needs to be. He seems to be walking the fine line of endearing adventurer kid and annoying goofball, and I hope he's the former when the series proper comes out. Really liking Atticus Shaffer's character so far. Sort of frazzled and reluctant. I really see good things coming from this show.

The one little thing that kinda had me scratch my head is that Rob Lowe sounds like Rob Lowe, and not a close approximation of Mathew Broderick. I know they got Cam Clarke to be the cheaper adult Simba in the Timon and Pumbaa cartoon series, and it was uncanny how close he was. Much like I can't unhear Harvey, I can't unhear Rob Lowe's character from Moonbeam City, and that kinda affected how Simba came off for me. Clearly they want some star power in the show (or at least movie), otherwise Cam would have been a better fit. Though Mathew did perform a couple cartoon voice acting roles. One in Cyberchase and one in Adventure Time. Shame getting both him and Nathan Lane wasn't in the cards, but I'm glad the fill in from the Timon and Pumbaa cartoon came back as Timon. He really did a great job in that show and here.

mr3urious

Reaction score
The badger could go either way for me. He speaks with an abundance of catchphrases, and it makes this movie more pilot-y than it needs to be. He seems to be walking the fine line of endearing adventurer kid and annoying goofball, and I hope he's the former when the series proper comes out.
Yeah, you're right about the catch phrase part.

And I did forget to mention that Bunga is actually the adopted nephew of Timon. And I would like to see instances of his lack of fear addressed as a plot point in a future episode, like maybe have it get himself or others in trouble. That's what happened with lovable coward Chuck in an episode of Motorcity when he was given a complete lack of fear as well.

The one little thing that kinda had me scratch my head is that Rob Lowe sounds like Rob Lowe, and not a close approximation of Mathew Broderick. I know they got Cam Clarke to be the cheaper adult Simba in the Timon and Pumbaa cartoon series, and it was uncanny how close he was. Much like I can't unhear Harvey, I can't unhear Rob Lowe's character from Moonbeam City, and that kinda affected how Simba came off for me. Clearly they want some star power in the show (or at least movie), otherwise Cam would have been a better fit. Though Mathew did perform a couple cartoon voice acting roles. One in Cyberchase and one in Adventure Time. Shame getting both him and Nathan Lane wasn't in the cards, but I'm glad the fill in from the Timon and Pumbaa cartoon came back as Timon. He really did a great job in that show and here.
Khary Payton is also real good as Rafiki, replacing the octogenarian Robert Guillaume. And he didn't sound like Cyborg there, no sirree. :smile:

mr3urious

Reaction score
The 2nd prelude episode "The Rise of Makuu" has debuted, and it seems like Bunga the honey badger is being utilized well as a character. He seems to be more of a bad@@@ considering how he beat up a cobra to rescue a hyrax the Lion Guard just saved, and his horrible BO is used as an important plot point yet again. And I like how they're setting up the titular crocodile as a major villain after he messed up the whole Circle of Life thing when he became the new leader of the crocs.

And it also seems like Kion asking his grandfather for advice will be a recurring thing in the show, with Gary Anthony Williams voicing him this time around. A little unfortunate, but considering the cost of keeping on James Earl Jones along with his age, it was expected.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Bunga has been a big focus in a lot of the episodes, which isn't a bad thing as I've really begun to like the character. This little smart@$$ had some of the funniest lines in the show, especially the way he played off of Simba when he got stuck in a sinkhole with him thanks to his impulsive behavior.

And at least the other Lion Guard members have had their day in the limelight in previous episodes, so there's that.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
This show is actually pretty good, i'm so glad to see that preschool shows are finally actually trying. Have you seen Wallykazam? I must say, it's one of my guilty pleasures.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I need to catch up on this series as I'm way behind. I've enjoyed all of it that I watched, and the merchandising does look pretty tempting.

But I agree. Preschool programming took a complete 180, especially on Disney's end, when everyone stopped trying to copy Dora and Blue's Clues. I mean, even Dora had the excuse of actually being about characters in a computer game (at least the one I saw), and frankly would have done better as a series of Humongous Entertainment style educational software. I want to say the catalyst is Wow Wow Wubzy, a show that, while for younger kids, didn't talk to them like they were idiots. In fact, humor wise it was pretty much Spongebob/Fairly Oddparents light. I don't want to say I'm a grown@## man who really likes Wubzy, but... eh...here's a picture of the guy who created it. I want you to look closely at the toys on his shelf.

He has freaking Tensai Bakabon and Anpanman toys on there. I needn't say another thing.

Anyway, Disney seems to be going full on Muppet Babies on its line up. Not "Spinoff Babies" like Looney Tunes Babies. No, exactly what made MB a great show for little kids. Adventure, peril, and treating the show like a cartoon show first and an educational series for younger kids second. Though I still don't see what's up with making 7D an XD series as it could have fit along side Miles from Tomorrowland and Lion Guard.

That said, as much as I love the Timon and Pumbaa series, it's great that we have a cartoon that totally takes place in the world of The Lion King. Obviously, T&P started out that way, even giving Zazu, the Hyenas, and Rafiki their own segments (and in time giving Simba some appearances). But then it trails off to wacky cartoon land and giving them a mixed expy of both Gaston from Beauty and the Beast and Mr. Hollywood from 2 Stupid Dogs. Which is great, but it loses itself quickly. Lion Guard may be less centered on wacky comedy (not that there isn't any) but it does keep its tone true to the original Lion King movie (which was always one of my favorites).

mr3urious

Reaction score
Anyway, Disney seems to be going full on Muppet Babies on its line up. Not "Spinoff Babies" like Looney Tunes Babies. No, exactly what made MB a great show for little kids. Adventure, peril, and treating the show like a cartoon show first and an educational series for younger kids second. Though I still don't see what's up with making 7D an XD series as it could have fit along side Miles from Tomorrowland and Lion Guard.
That's the kind of style I'm hoping for in that Mickey Mouse racing series on Disney Junior coming next year. That and the hope that it won't lead to a cancellation of the shorts on the main channel, either.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I honestly think Disney will keep both up at the same time. Mickey's cartoon shorts aren't that much more grown up than a preschool series (at least comparing it to Muppet Moments and The Muppets). I really hope Mickey Racing can become a great racing series right up there with Speed Racer and Wacky Races (can totally see Pete as the Disney copyright equivalent of Dastardly, would be cool to see Chainsaw as the Muttley expy), and not ...ugh...Turbo Dogs. As in a not at all fun preachy series that's insulting to the audience of even small children.

I'm glad they're going with a new Mickey preschool series. Much as I hate how Mickey Mouse Clubhouse turned out to be one of the Dora clones (yet not as insulting as the My Friends Tigger and Pooh series) I did like that it brought publicity back to Mickey and Co after years of being shoved into the background for Pooh merchandising. Not to mention the fact it at least utilized second bananas like Ludwig VonDrake and Clarabelle the Cow. I mean, sure they're usually always in Mickey and Co projects as of late, but I was amazed they had some sort of merchandising presence. Pete hasn't had that many toys since maybe Goof Troop. Still, it's a waste of the characters, the talented voice actors, and Super Goof. Yeah, MMCH was one of the only 2 animated appearances of comic book staple Super Goof.

mr3urious

Reaction score
They got Steve Blum to voice the leopard in the latest episode, and he sure makes the character look terrifying as he hunted down the shy okapi that befriended Beshte, who nobody else believes is real even though even though they believe in a superhero team of animals led by a lion cub capable of delivering an earth-shattering roar. Go figure.

Also, I really enjoyed the rap number Beshte gave introducing the okapi to the Pridelands, keeping up with the high quality of the rest of the songs in the show. That hippo sure has got some funky flow! :smile: