Disney buying Lucasfilm, Star Wars Episode VII coming in 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lourenzo

Reaction score
Why are people still angry at Lucas?

Dont get me wrong, I know he's made a lot of mistakes but some of the bile he gets from people, just leaves me going "Ok thats going a little too far".

I though that in the years since the prequels and special editions, and now with Star wars being in more capable hands, the anger would cool.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Why are people still angry at Lucas?

Dont get me wrong, I know he's made a lot of mistakes but some of the bile he gets from people, just leaves me going "Ok thats going a little too far".
As far as I go, I agree. What happened to Lucas is what happens to every director at a certain point in their career. They stop being the wide eyed young artist, and become fuddy duddies in some aspect. In Lucas's case, it was all about self-perfectionism. Seeing too much of what he thought was wrong with his original movies, and thinking that making the franchise turn to an odd political thriller that needed to slowly unfold to explain the original movies.

I give him all the credit in the world for saying to himself, "I don't need this," and selling to Disney. The original films were collaborative, and he intended to have every film under a different director, where as he had way too much ownership of the prequels and didn't have that outside view of the movies fans of the originals had. Disney no doubt can make back all the money they paid for the franchise on merchandising alone, but they're not willing to take chances. When other superhero/comic book based movies are hit or miss, the Disney produced Marvel ones are usually the best draw and best received. They aren't going to build an empire on the mistakes of the prequels. Heck, when Disney bought the franchise, even the prequel based merchandise was pushed aside for original trilogy favorites.

Lourenzo

Reaction score
No disrespect but a lot of your comments contain jabs at him, mostly about the Jewish Threepio thing. Why is that a problem? Yes its stupid but it didn't happen. We got Stuffy Brit Threepio, Because as you said White Europeans are okay to make fun of. This thread has been more about Lucas's mistakes than Force Awakens
The thing is that some who seeing this film and still ****** at him seem like there seeing because they are trying to spite him in some way.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
No disrespect but a lot of your comments contain jabs at him, mostly about the Jewish Threepio thing. Why is that a problem? Yes its stupid but it didn't happen. We got Stuffy Brit Threepio, Because as you said White Europeans are okay to make fun of. This thread has been more about Lucas's mistakes than Force Awakens
The thing is that some who seeing this film and still ****** at him seem like there seeing because they are trying to spite him in some way.
I find it kinda sad you don't have a problem like that. Thankfully the final result kept appalling tiresome stereotypes out of the film (yet the prequels contained quite a bit of it).

To reiterate what I said earlier, Lucas singlehandedly destroyed the Star Wars franchise with his tampering of the films that everyone so very loved and those god awful prequels, and then blaming the fans for not gobbling up that garbage and for even liking the originals. I don't think fans could respect a man who doesn't respect the fans that follow him.

Lourenzo

Reaction score
I find it kinda sad you don't have a problem like that. Thankfully the final result kept appalling tiresome stereotypes out of the film (yet the prequels contained quite a bit of it).
I cant have a problem with it because it didnt happen so its a moot point. Also I didn't think the prequels were all that bad.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I cant have a problem with it because it didnt happen so its a moot point.
Yeah but the presumption is that it didn't happen because someone else was there to cancel it out. With the prequels, Lucas didn't have anyone telling him to pull back on that kind of nonsense.

Really, the "Special Editions" bother me more than the prequels anyway. Every time I see that altered Anakin scene at the very end of Return of the Jedi....ugh don't get me started.

Btw, I personally have no reason to believe Star Wars is in more capable hands at the moment (though that has nothing to do with Lucas). The trailers for Force Awakens looks like your typical tiresome action flick with pretentiously grim vibe and actors putting on their best one dimensional "I'm intense, grrr" faces. I really despise this "dark equals deep" trend in movies lately. Even Empire Strikes Back wasn't completely void of levity.

Plus it feels like they're still being influenced by the prequels. First with the looks of the lead actress. And then a villain with a weird, "bad ***" new light saber? Can we say Darth Maul?

Last edited:

Lourenzo

Reaction score
To me feels like the cast and crew trying to say "we're sorry" to fans angry about the prequels, and they shouldn't. They have nothing to apologize for.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Really, the "Special Editions" bother me more than the prequels anyway. Every time I see that altered Anakin scene at the very end of Return of the Jedi....ugh don't get me started.
Yet, no matter how hard the fans would jump on him, with every release they would just get worse. I don't know what made Lucas turn to the dark side, but he was clearly on a mission to destroy a marvelous masterpiece again and again.

At least Spielberg felt bad about the really minor edits to his ET Special Edition. Lucas wouldn't fix his major ones.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Not surprised but boy am I excited. I absolutely adore that series. Love what they have done with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.