Nature Cat: A New PBS Series from David and Adam Rudman

D'Snowth

Reaction score
David and Adam Rudman have done it again! PBS Kids Go has ordered a new series to begin airing in the fall of 2015 - NATURE CAT.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/01/20/pbs-kids-orders-new-series-nature-cat/353176/

Just reading about it, I think it's swell that the Rudman brothers have created a new series designed to get kids excited about . . . going outside . . . especially in this day and age, where kids immediately have cellphones, tablets, and other gadgets placed in their hands when they're yanked out of the womb. The promotional illustration looks really nice as well, I like the style, so I do believe that I will give this a checking out when it airs.

My only quibble is Nature Cat's real name is Fred. There's already so many other Fred's out there (Fred Mertz, Fred Flintstone, Fred Sanford, Fred Armisen, Fred Astaire, Fred the Wonder Horse, Big Head Fred, Fred the annoying YouTube celebrity, Mister Fred Rogers... it's like there's a Fred Farm or something where all these Fred's come from...).

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm fifty fifty when it comes to nature shows, actually. I have faith this will be in the good 50% with anything the Kratts have done, and not in the low end "narrated stock footage thrown together to sell as a cheap package deal for networks to run to keep their FCC license" garbage that no one actually watches.

Just as long as it helps kids foster a love of nature the right way and not the embarrassing way some of the PSA's have been doing. Like that terrible "Staring contest" commercial that does nothing but remind me of "D.W.'s Deer Friend." That's how misguided they are. Not to mention the use of movies like Rio and The Smurfs. Weren't the point of those movies that humans shouldn't wander around untouched, pristine wildlife? I mean, the Smurfs certainly don't want any humans running around their woods. Especially Gargamel.

mr3urious

Reaction score
After seeing the 1st episode, it's safe to say that Nature Cat is definitely in the good 50% of nature shows. The titular cat is an excitable housecat who secretly itches for backyard exploration, but lacks the instincts for it. I enjoy the sly humor this show contains, and how the rabbit and dog sidekicks are voiced by Velma Dinkley and Panda Bear, respectively.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I missed the preview episode, but I've seen the short preview clips and think it has loads of potential. I love how Kate Miccuci is in more and more cartoons lately, and Bobby Moinahan (can't spell that to save my life) is one of the few actually talented people on SNL, and I love his work in Bears and the short lived Chozen. These PBS animated shows usually have some celebrity voice actors in them. Who could forget Lily Tomlin as The Friz in Magic School Bus or Christopher Lloyd and Gilbert Godfried in Cyberchase? Martin Short's the only thing that kept the Cat in the Hat Knows a Lot About That from being dreadfully dull. And then there's WordGirl's roster of rotating regulars and recurring comedians. From Chris Parnell as the narrator to Weird Al's semi-recurring character, The Learnerer. Of course, this show seems to be more like WordGirl, going for comedians who have done cartoon voice acting in the past, rather than one big name and the occasional big guest star.

I was looking forward to this series anyway, but knowing they have some great comedian voice actors, I'm even more excited about it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Got a chance to see this and it's adorable. There's a nice level of sly humor in the show that keeps it from being too preschoolish, and using a cast of comedians as voice actors gives a nice punch to the characters. I love how Fred isn't as adventurous as he says he is, or really that competent. But he never comes off hypocritical or stupid. Passionate, yet slightly reluctant. Nice character traits. Certainly a much better nature series starring a cat than Cat in the Hat was. They were able to organically bring up nature topics without being heavy handed.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I'm not sure this show will be quite the hit that ARTHUR or CURIOUS GEORGE were,but it still has potential. I think it's all mostly down to the characters,while they're all cute and somewhat interesting ,I don't think any of them are as defined as they could be. Hopefully they can improve on that as time goes by.
I like that the lessons aren't over the top. Kenan Thompson,I think works rather well here because he has a very wacky and distictive voice. And Bobby Moynihan,what can I say,i've never not enjoyed him in anything he's in.

Last edited:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I caught another episode, and it sounds like some of the Sesame Street puppeteers are lending their voices to this show. I definitely picked out Leslie in the episode where Hal got lost in the city. Leslie is no stranger to voice acting, as she was included in the dub of Gash Bell as well as playing Dudley Puppy's mother on TUFF Puppy. I want to say I heard Stephanie, but I'd need to double check that one. Sounds like this show must be recorded in New York if most of the VA's come from SNL and some guests from Sesame Street.

This show is pretty darn cute and a lot more fun than the other cat based nature show.