The Oh-So-Permanent Thanksgiving Thread

Drtooth

Reaction score
The thing that bugs me is that even back when the movie was made, the executives didn't think the audience was smart enough to think Oz was a land Dorothy could always travel to, like the books. We got a very iconic ending that everyone parodied, sure... but you just wonder what would have happened if they went straight with the book.

That's the thing that bugs me. The fact the movie is so iconic that no one would ever bother making a new one close to the book. Seems anything that uses Wizard of Oz, any version, lives in the shadow of the movie, not the source material. Only Wicked and to a much lesser extent the Wiz managed to crawl out from under that.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The thing that bugs me is that even back when the movie was made, the executives didn't think the audience was smart enough to think Oz was a land Dorothy could always travel to, like the books. We got a very iconic ending that everyone parodied, sure... but you just wonder what would have happened if they went straight with the book.
Eh, I'll be honest, I don't understand the book's concept of Oz being a real yet completely inexplicable place. I liked the movie's concept of Oz and its inhabitants mirroring Dorothy's real life problems.

That's the thing that bugs me. The fact the movie is so iconic that no one would ever bother making a new one close to the book. Seems anything that uses Wizard of Oz, any version, lives in the shadow of the movie, not the source material. Only Wicked and to a much lesser extent the Wiz managed to crawl out from under that.
Yeah but this has been done already with less than stellar results. They insisted the new Willy Wonka movie was so much closer to the book than the original movie. Uh huh. I've read Ronald Dahl. Try again. It's not enough just to incorporate plot points, you have to get the tone right too.

And sometimes a film adaption has good reasons for not including scenes from a book and that's nothing that needs to be fixed in a second adaptation. Or, like with Wizard of Oz, another writer is able to discover new ways of telling the story.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah but this has been done already with less than stellar results. They insisted the new Willy Wonka movie was so much closer to the book than the original movie. Uh huh. I've read Ronald Dahl. Try again. It's not enough just to incorporate plot points, you have to get the tone right too.
I think both movies are failures, myself. Dahl certainly thought the first one was, and I can't blame him. Only thing I liked about that one was Gene Wilder. Of course, my favorite movie based on a Dahl book was Fantastic Mr. Fox, and that was just incredibly Wes Anderson-y.

That's the one good thing about multiple book adaptions (which I stress is never a remake unless they remake the film, it's a retelling sure). You get different interpretations. Novels are open to interpretation because that's how reading something works. Everyone imagines something different, especially movie makers.

But no doubt any other Oz based project will have to live up to the 1939 movie, and unfortunately it can't stand alone. Film is too iconic that way.

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
As we all know, throughout Thanksgiving, we keep being treated to all of these unsettling drawings of Big Bird about to be eaten by the other SS characters.

I know I'm a couple days late, but here's a photo worth looking at! (Courtesy of the SS 1990 calendar)

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It's recently occured to me that it's almost a tad unsettling to see Woodstock eating turkey towards the end of A CHARLIE BROWN THANKSGIVING.

But then again, occasionally on ROCKO'S MODERN LIFE, Heffer's eaten hamburgers and steaks. Then there was that one episode of COURAGE THE COWARDLY DOG where Muriel and Eustace suddenly had a pet goldfish that seemed mortified that they were eating sushi, but after they left, he hopped out of his bowl and began eating it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah, but the difference is Heffer is...well... Heffer. Even being in an actual pen with other cows intended for the slaughter can't get him to stop eating something.

As for Woodstock... don't big birds eat smaller birds? At least birds of prey eat smaller ones? Is i like fish eating fish or what? Seagulls probably pick at leftover pieces of chicken. I'd put a Family Guy clip in here, but I don't wanna.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I remember being in a parking lot at Target and there were crows everywhere eating deli-turkey that people had left on the ground.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Once I was in a chicken coop. If an egg dropped on the floor, all the chickens would peck and eat every last bit, shells and all. Cannibalism 101.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I remember being in a parking lot at Target and there were crows everywhere eating deli-turkey that people had left on the ground.
Once my mom burned an entire pot roast, so she threw it out; the next morning a flock of crows was picking at it.