The Muppets Episode 9 - Going, Going, Gonzo

What did you think of "The Muppets" episode "Going, Going, Gonzo"?

• Absolutely positively! This episode was great!

• Bork bork! This episode was good.

• Mee mee. This episode was so-so.

• You're all weirdos! This episode was disappointing.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ladywarrior

Reaction score
Pardon me if I have problems with certain things. I can feel however way I want to about these things, get over it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Your enjoyment of the show is hindered by what you think a non-existant backstory is, and you freak out when it doesn't fit in with your fan fic interpretations of the characters. There's a difference between not liking the show due to substance, but nitpicky things like that... it's like someone who hates a Muppet Movie because obscure 1990's fairy tale movie character wasn't in the background.

Pardon me if some of us have a problem with your problem. We also have a right to our opinions.

MuppetGuy75

Reaction score
Yet again... great episode! Best part however was the closing when after so many mishaps over the years, Gonzo completed a stunt safely! Sweet! :smile:

Also... Piggy Water needs to happen!

Ladywarrior

Reaction score
Drtooth you know nothing about me and if I enjoy something or not. You seem to think I hated the episode due to one minor thing I had a problem with. The episode aside from my little nitpick was FINE! Stop acting like you know how I feel about the show. If I hated this sow I wouldn't still be watching it, duh!
The drum war was fun to watch, gonzo shooting himself out of a canon was good to see since he was basically doing stuff like that in the past. Uncle deadly is awesome as always, it's nice that lips had more lines, and I liekd kermit being a good friend.
See I foudn things I enjoyed in this episode so deal with it.

JimAndFrank

Reaction score
Love, love, LOVED this one!

Kermit and Gonzo the Great (by Piggy Water):

After last episode, I was kind of worried that the Kermit we saw in ‘Pig’s in a Blackout’ was just a fluke and we would never see him again, but this episode made me feel a lot more confident in his character development. It was nice for Boss Kermit to take a backseat this time around. The frog needs to believe in the dreams of his friends, no matter how ridiculous those dreams may be and Gonzo (Brought to You by Piggy Water) has always stretched that virtue out further than should be possible.

A good friend should be able to provide an escape as well as opportunity and Kermit did that when he offered to cancel the stunt because he could see that Gonzo (Brought to You by Piggy Water) was getting cold feet. Kermit may not have completely understood why the Whatever wanted to do the stunt in the first place, but that didn’t matter. So when Gonzo decided to go through with it anyway, it made it all the more sweet that only Kermit saw him succeed. When Gonzo (BTYBPW) jumped up to reveal he was okay, the relief and joy both Whatever and Frog felt was completely mutual.

Seeing them celebrate the success of the stunt was a standout moment for me and I couldn’t help but smile. It’s probably my favourite friendship bonding moment from this series so far!

The Guest Stars:

Yet another issue the show has been trying to work out is how to include a celebrity without making it feel like it’s just a generic ‘insert famous name here’ scenario. The past guests have been fun, but haven’t really been adding any of their own flavour to the show. Joseph Gordon-Levitt was a step in the right direction. He was funny, quick with his tongue and actually added chemistry at the poker table. Dave Grohl was also a heap of fun, although I think he was mainly there to be the music guest and to do the drum battle with Animal rather than actually add anything to the story.

Muppet of the Week: Gonzo the Great (Brought to You by Piggy Water)

Now that we are finally focusing on Gonzo (BTYBPW) again, we are getting a good reminder of why he has stayed such a loved character by us Muppet Fans. Along with his performer, Gonzo (BTYBPW) seems to be steadily aging and his need to relive past glories reminds us of that. What I have always loved about the Whatever is that while he may be the most far-fetched character, there are times where he has the most humanity. Gonzo (BTYPW) wears his emotions on his sleeve and I think that is something we can all relate to in some way or another.

The Weirdo gets top spot this week, not because he was particularly funny, but because he shows the potential all the characters have in being relatable to ourselves. He did that stunt for himself, not to be a sell out and I am so proud of him for that!

MVP: Dave Goelz

Of course Dave is going to get the MVP award this week! While he’s been messing around with Chip (and doing a wonderful job in the process) this is the first episode I’ve seen where he actually stands out on his own as a performer. The energy he brought to Gonzo (BTYBPW), whether high or low was a treat to watch. I think it goes without saying that the humanity in the Whatever that I brought up earlier comes from deep within Dave himself and we have seen that shine through in many of his characters over the years. I could not be more grateful for Dave sticking around for as long as he has.

Puppetry Highlights:

Okay, can we please talk about Gonzo (BTYBPW) flying through the air on that rope? That was an insanely cool piece of however-the-heck-they did-that puppetry! My guess is the usual blue/green-clad team of puppeteers showing an unbelievable amount of synchronisation and timing to get the movements right. It was pretty much flawless!

There was another cool moment with Pepe when he threw the poker chips across the table. All of those little details can add so much to the reality of each episode and it is always something I’m keen to pick up on.

ANNND can we talk about the FROGGIN’ JUMP? Holy Henson, that was beyond brilliant! SO well thought and looked fantastic! The shots and cutting was spot on! It really could not have gone better! Holy cow!

Other Notes:

· Piggy and Kermit were fun to watch in the cold opening. Their discussions are becoming more and more entertaining with every show.
· Eric Jacobson can really nail a song in that falsetto can’t he?
· You have to admit, the swinging moon suits the swinging song!
· Gonzo swinging around the roof………That….was……AWWEEESOME!
· The poker game had several things going on at once. And Pepe in his little hoodie and glasses? Fabulous!
· Scooter and the Electric Mayhem were fun to pair together and boy did it pay off! Their contrasting personalities made it a whole lot of fun.
· I also have a Time Machine that will take me about a day. It’s called my bed.
· LIPS HAD SO MANY LINES!!! MORE PLEASE!
· This Piggy Water thing is a pretty strong running gag.
· DRUM BATTLE! DRUM BATTLE! BOTH LOST! OR…..BOTH WIN???

muppetlover123

Reaction score
Kermit grabbing the Piggy Water off her desk in the beginning was pretty neat too! I had to rewind to watch it

Muppet Master

Reaction score
That was a really awesome episode, finally Gonzo got to be Gonzo. And for the first time Gonzo was the old guy from TMS, doing his stunt, being awesome, not the self consicous geek from MFS who didn't want his brains sucked out. There were a lot of great parts, the poker scene, bunsen and beaker, big mean carl, bobo, piggy water, but the big payoff was Gonzo shooting himself out of the cannon. That moment with Gonzo and Kermit on the roof was the greatest part of the episode. Also the drum battle was great too. Overal, a great episode, no Fozzie, but more Gonzo made up for that, and Rowlf gets to do something. Overal, great episode, and can't wait for the Christmas episode next week, something big is going to happen with Kermit and Miss Piggy, will drive social media wild I hope, and really hope these episodes get big ratings.

Stephanie Evjen

Reaction score
this episode was... meh.

also Dr. teeth didn't get his gold tooth from a voodoo priestess. he made the tooth out of his gold records. Jim Henson said so himself. :/
Yep. Heard it myself on WatchMojo's Top 10 Muppets with Dr. Teeth at #10. The facts don't lie.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I love it when The Muppets has a new episode,it sort of brings the whole forum together. When this website comes together to discuss one big topic it really feels like we're part of a family and like we really know each other. We've been seeing people who haven't been on this site in years coming back to voice what they think about the show and i'm really happy about that.