We Need Another Movie

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
It seems like it tbh. I mean, most folks thought Piggy and Kermit were married. And I will not get started on the thought that the Muppet Show Muppets were on Sesame.
I hate comments that go "I can't believe this new show because we used to watch Sesame Street all the time with our kids." Ugh. I cant stand that no one gets it.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I hate comments that go "I can't believe this new show because we used to watch Sesame Street all the time with our kids." Ugh. I cant stand that no one gets it.
Ya it's really annoying, people who say this were usually children in the 90's, they watched Muppet Babies, The Muppet Christmas Carol, Muppets From Space, all targeted at children, look at some of those VHS covers for TMM and GMC, colorfully drawn images with a cheesy description of the film on the back, now compare that with the original releases. They aren't really marketed for kids, yes kids can enjoy them, but the covers and backs clearly show that this is something for adults too. So when the time came for a new muppet show that was for adults, most were baffled, the muppets they watched were clearly children oriented, which led to those annoying, childhood ruined posts, because they were too lazy to pick up TMS or one of the orignal movies, and see how they were, this leads to the people who were children in the 80's to combat this by saying the muppets were originally for adults. The Sesame Street thing is due to Kermit being on both shows, and the Sesame Street cast appearing in the muppet stuff, which leads people who watched them as children to be confused, but ya people don't have their facts right, that's whats expected unless you're a die hard muppet fan.

LashHolstein

Reaction score
Ya it's really annoying, people who say this were usually children in the 90's, they watched Muppet Babies, The Muppet Christmas Carol, Muppets From Space, all targeted at children, look at some of those VHS covers for TMM and GMC, colorfully drawn images with a cheesy description of the film on the back, now compare that with the original releases. They aren't really marketed for kids, yes kids can enjoy them, but the covers and backs clearly show that this is something for adults too. So when the time came for a new muppet show that was for adults, most were baffled, the muppets they watched were clearly children oriented, which led to those annoying, childhood ruined posts, because they were too lazy to pick up TMS or one of the orignal movies, and see how they were, this leads to the people who were children in the 80's to combat this by saying the muppets were originally for adults. The Sesame Street thing is due to Kermit being on both shows, and the Sesame Street cast appearing in the muppet stuff, which leads people who watched them as children to be confused, but ya people don't have their facts right, that's whats expected unless you're a die hard muppet fan.
Yeah, like it's understandable. A little annoying, but understandable i guess.

Drtooth

Reaction score
As far as the TV show goes, I had a feeling that no matter what the result was, it wouldn't get as big of an audience as it did demand. And, honestly, the first few episodes were a turn off because they weren't doing what they should have been doing in the last 3 of 4 episodes. The relationship stuff doesn't really work outside of the Kermit/Piggy/Denise angle, and once they started moving other characters away from that and giving them Muppet-y-er stories the show picked up. But you know the instant gratification of media consumers. If the show isn't 100% perfect at the start, no one's going to bother pushing ahead with it. Again, Seinfeld was unwatchable at the beginning and constantly on the bubble for being cancelled. Now you could say it's overrated. Even the first few episodes of the original Muppet Show were meh.

But frankly, even if the show was a 100% faithful recreation of the original series, it's be like "Aw, that was nice. Now let's tune in to The Voice and see someone who we won't give a crap about so much as a day after they win." Certainly that's what happened with The Muppets the movie. They all loved the first one (even though it only was a modest success due to the small budget). But when the second one came out, it was almost universally "What? A comeback means they stay? The heck with that. OHHH! An anemic Hunger Games knockoff! Lessgoseethatrightaway!!!!!" And frankly, the second film was more in the spirit of what a classic Muppet movie should have been than even the comeback film. I swear half the casual fans just saw the movies when they were 8 at their grandparents house and only buy the occasional T-shirt and Bobblehead.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Certainly that's what happened with The Muppets the movie. They all loved the first one (even though it only was a modest success due to the small budget). But when the second one came out, it was almost universally "What? A comeback means they stay? The heck with that. OHHH! An anemic Hunger Games knockoff! Lessgoseethatrightaway!!!!!"
The problem with the second one was they intentionally made it a sequel to the first - again, in a day and age where sequelitis is an overused gimmick in cinema to milk franchises for more than they're worth - whereas Muppet movies are traditionally their own stand-alone, self-contained movies, that aren't connected to each other aside from nods or references that only Muppet Freaks will get anyway.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
As far as the TV show goes, I had a feeling that no matter what the result was, it wouldn't get as big of an audience as it did demand. And, honestly, the first few episodes were a turn off because they weren't doing what they should have been doing in the last 3 of 4 episodes. The relationship stuff doesn't really work outside of the Kermit/Piggy/Denise angle, and once they started moving other characters away from that and giving them Muppet-y-er stories the show picked up. But you know the instant gratification of media consumers. If the show isn't 100% perfect at the start, no one's going to bother pushing ahead with it. Again, Seinfeld was unwatchable at the beginning and constantly on the bubble for being cancelled. Now you could say it's overrated. Even the first few episodes of the original Muppet Show were meh.

But frankly, even if the show was a 100% faithful recreation of the original series, it's be like "Aw, that was nice. Now let's tune in to The Voice and see someone who we won't give a crap about so much as a day after they win." Certainly that's what happened with The Muppets the movie. They all loved the first one (even though it only was a modest success due to the small budget). But when the second one came out, it was almost universally "What? A comeback means they stay? The heck with that. OHHH! An anemic Hunger Games knockoff! Lessgoseethatrightaway!!!!!" And frankly, the second film was more in the spirit of what a classic Muppet movie should have been than even the comeback film. I swear half the casual fans just saw the movies when they were 8 at their grandparents house and only buy the occasional T-shirt and Bobblehead.
I could just imagine this new muppet show being literally an exact copy of the original muppet show, and hearing reviewers saying, what I want something new maybe a sitcom like the office or something, but to give then credt, The Muppets enjoyed 15 seconds of success in its first three weeks getting large ratings with no leadin, and it wasn't doing awful up until the gonzo episode. At least ABC has some faith in it, because they will be heavily repeating episodes, and even airing a 4 episode marathon next Sunday, so maybe they have faith in it, and like Galavant might renew it as filler. Also on a side note, early Seinfeld was still pretty funny, seasons 2-4 were probably some of the best.

DARTH MUPPET

Reaction score
now that it looks like the end of the new Muppets show It might be time to think movie !!!!!!!!!!

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I honestly don't know what they can do with the franchise if the show doesn't get a second season. The 2011 movie was really only a moderate success and the last movie didn't do very well at all. Neither the show nor the movie were such fantastic failures that Disney would drop them, but just doing Viral videos won't really give them the exposure they need to stay relevant.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I wonder how well the movies did on home video. It's not like both films were Green Lantern or Lone Ranger level money losing failures. The second one, at worst, was that kind of low key film that made its money back barely with some international showings.

I'd hate for them to be only TV special/DTV project ready from now on. Disney has started acknowledging the Muppets again, oddly just after the show started really losing ratings being in a crappy time slot. The thing that worries me is they haven't even announced a DVD set for the TV show, and usually a DVD set for a current TV sitcom is announced like 2 weeks into the show's season premiere.

That said, if there is a new movie, Disney would be best to be advised that "modest hit" is the best they can do. Other than the original movie, the 2011, and GMC, they've all had low box office turn out. Even Elmo can't bring them in in droves. That's why the announced Sesame Street film went no where. If they need a low yield film to put in the space between a blockbuster animated film and a Marvel film, Muppets are a good filler that won't lose them too much money at worst. The Jungle Book was a huge gamble that paid off to the tune of second highest April opening (a month that's very soft as far as films go). But if one of their high concept films bombs, that's a crapload of money. Tomorrowland was so bad it killed any Tron sequel potential. Disney always had soft films in weaker months. If they're successful they make money off a low budget, if they aren't, they lose an amount that's usually recouped in a monthly sale of Star Wars action figures and T-shirts.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Neither the show nor the movie were such fantastic failures that Disney would drop them, but just doing Viral videos won't really give them the exposure they need to stay relevant.
That's what I've been saying about all this hoo-hah about shows and movies being dumped straight to Netflix.