The Wonderful World of Disney

Erine81981

Reaction score
I thought I would make a thread about the anthology television series. Anything or everything can be talked about here about the series or even if someone finds some old episodes. Post them here.

The one reason I'm talking about this was just this past Saturday on ABC Channel. They had "The Wonderful World of Disney" brought them by Target. They showed "Mary Poppins." It was neat to see then airing an old Disney classic but what made it even more fun was the bumpers that were included. It was Dick Van Dyke talking about the movie in between the movie and show some of old props. Now my station kept having to drop in and out of Weather Reports (which made me so mad) I didn't get to see much of the bumpers with him but it was still just awesome. It reminded me of the late 80's early 90's.

Sure do hope that ABC will keep this going. I would love to see old classics and to see maybe even new specials or Events about Disney World or Land. Just like it used to be. A look at the new movies coming out or even then new attractions from the theme parks. How would the be?
I know I would tune in every Saturday or Sunday. You wouldn't catch me not missing it.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
The only one I remember was MWOZ, and didn't that cancalled it anyway.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I go waaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy back to when the show was on NBC Sunday nights at 7:00.
The one episode that sticks out the most was 1973's "The Mystery of Dracula's Castle".
Starring Johnny Whittaker and Scott Kolden as a couple of bored kids who stumble on
a gang of jewel thieves.
Their episode was so well received, the duo were paired again in Kroffts' " Sigmund and the Sea Monsters".
I guess the biggest difference between then and now, back then Disney wasn't trying to manufacture teenybopper fluff like Hannah Montana. We had to settle for the pratfalls of Don Knotts or Fred MacMurray. And that wasn't a bad deal.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Certainly this series is a much better Sunday draw than AFV, which continues to lose relevance with each passing year thanks to a little thing called "Yoo Toob".

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'd say AFV is for old people who are afraid of the internet, but even they spam e-mail their families terrible YT videos.

Really stinks that WWOD essentially turned into The Wonderful World of Harry Potter Movies like Twice a Year. I can't see them putting this on Sundays because the big draw of Bloated Disney Fangirl Fanfic the Series. It used to have a nice niche on Saturdays, even though it was just a title signifying they're running a family movie that night. Now it's just for sports and reruns of their weekly shows.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
Would love to see a return of the Wonderful World of Disney as well, either Saturday night or Sunday night. It was a regular Sunday night staple in our family, along with Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom starring Marlin Perkins.

I wonder though if this showing of Mary Poppins was because it was Dick Van Dyke's 90th birthday though.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Now that I think about it, I think they wasted the potential to broadcast the 20th anniversary Toy Story and respective TV special as Wonderful World of Disney. Seems there's not much they'd have to do to resurrect the brand, even if it's just a blanket title for broadcast movie premieres.

Somehow I get the feeling when Disney allows Frozen to be broadcast on ABC is a couple years, that will be a Wonderful World of Disney airing.

Erine81981

Reaction score
I wonder though if this showing of Mary Poppins was because it was Dick Van Dyke's 90th birthday though.
You know I didn't think about Dick's birthday being the reason why. It could have been. Just hope it stays and we'll get more classics or even newer specials. Here's even hoping that Disney will air "A Muppet Family Christmas" one of these years with all the clips finally intact.

I know there was one year they showed it as part of WWOD. *crosses fingers*