Weekly Box Office and Film Discussion Thread

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score

Drtooth

Reaction score
Of the live-action Chipmunks movies, Road Chip had the lowest opening thanks to Star Wars.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=alvin4.htm
In all honesty, I don't think it would have been much different an opening even if Star Wars wasn't coming out. The new cartoon series is far superior and I'd say watching a good version of the characters on TV for a cable subscription beats paying 10+ bucks a ticket to a subpar sequel to a franchise that only has one good movie. The cartoon is so huge a success Niceklodeon actually airs it. And almost as much as Spongebob to boot.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The new cartoon series is far superior and I'd say watching a good version of the characters on TV for a cable subscription beats paying 10+ bucks a ticket to a subpar sequel to a franchise that only has one good movie. The cartoon is so huge a success Niceklodeon actually airs it.
Dude, fans are now begging for a movie of the cartoon series rather than another one of these Fox movies - even if it's a DTV movie, they'd rather have that instead. That goes to show you how much superior the cartoon series is to the Fox movie series.

Drtooth

Reaction score
And rightly they should. The new cartoon is vastly superior to the movies for the obvious reasons (though I liked the subtle commentary in the first one), but you have to admit. For Nickelodeon to actually air a cartoon that isn't Spongebob on a regular, non-weekend basis, that cartoon has to be huge. Even TMNT barely gets a once weekly episode (on the main channel, it's run like crazy on Nicktoons), and that thing sells toys.

snichols1973

Reaction score
Warner Bros is looking to lose a substantial amount of money off of Pan.

That's where it hit me.

The only successful version of Peter Pan from the last decade or so was Jake and the Neverland Pirates. And that's a spinoff type deal.

I swear there were at least 2 other Peter Pan movies that came out before this one that I can't even put my finger on. I know one had a Wendy's Kid's Meal promo, and that's it.
I had forgotten or never heard about the 2003 Columbia-Universal version:

Peter Pan (2003 film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Peter Pan is a 2003 American fantasy film released by Universal Pictures, Columbia Pictures and Revolution Studios. It was the first authorized and faithful film or TV adaptation of J.M. Barrie's play in half a century, after Disney's version in 1953. P. J. Hogan directed a screenplay co-written with Michael Goldenberg which is based on the classic play and novel by J. M. Barrie. Jason Isaacs plays the roles of Captain Hook and George Darling, Olivia Williams plays Mrs. Darling, while Jeremy Sumpter plays Peter Pan, Rachel Hurd-Wood portrays Wendy Darling, and Ludivine Sagnier plays Tinker Bell. Lynn Redgrave plays a supporting role as Aunt Millicent, a new character created for the film.

There was another bizarre indie studio version called "Neverland", featuring Peter Pan as an older, androgynous teen, whereas the fairy Tinker Bell is a drugged and burnt out girl, the Lost Boys are hot guys and pot heads, the Darling children are adopted,Wendy Darling is black, Captain Hook is a gay leather man and Tiger Lily is a transvestite. The events take place in Neverland which is an amusement park in the film, rather than the imaginary island. Based on the content, this unsuitable-for-children film appears to be something that would get a low rating on RottenTomatoes.

snichols1973

Reaction score
(Spoilers!!)

It really was!:smile: It was mind-blowing, hilarious, and phenomenal.
♫Do doo dah-do doo...♫
It's nice that the emotions have feelings and not just their own. I almost teared up during the scene where Riley comes home from running away to Minnesota and tells her parents she's homesick, and the lesson that sadness is as important as happiness.

(I couldn't tell at first, but after a few seconds I totally recognized Frank Oz and Dave Goelz's voices as the security guards!:wink:)
Right?? It's so incredible that I'm constantly at a loss for words at it's brilliance. I can't wait to see it again.

Frank and Dave's cameo was so awesome. Most people might not realize which performers are providing the voices, but it's certainly a memorable moment.

It's one of the best films...period.
I don't know if it's been mentioned before, but Frank Oz also had a cameo role in Pixar's Monsters, Inc. as Jeff Fungus, Randall's three-eyed, red-skinned assistant....

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Well, Star Wars crushed it again.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4137&p=.htm

It got $153 million in its second week for a total of $544 million domestically in its second weekend, and it has already passed $1 billion worldwide, and is already the 5th highest grossing movie domestically and 15th worldwide, and in just two weeks. It is now expected to crush Avatar's record and become the highest grossing film ever domestically and possibly worldwide. On a side note, Daddy's Home posted a pretty big $38 million for its opening weekend against Star Wars, and was only expected to make like $15 million, that's a plus for that film.