Sesame Street puppeteer Michael Earl dies at 56

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Michael Earl has passed away today at the age of 56. Earl had been fighting cancer for at least a couple of years.

You may know him as the second performer of Mr. Snufflupagus and Slimey the Worm. He also originated characters such as Forgetful Jones and Polly Darton. Outside of Sesame Street he was an occasional additional performer for Muppet productions such as "The Muppets Take Manhattan" and The Muppet Movie.

This is a Facebook post from one of his friends:

"I remember seeing his name on the credits after one of the Muppet movies!! Fantastic!
A few years ago, we connected on Facebook. The strength he showed while fighting cancer was admirable and courageous.

There are also no words to describe my sorrow.
Rest in peace , Mike.

My thoughts and prayers are with Annyd Jensen and Dan Curtis and the rest of the family."

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It's a shame, but like with Jerry Nelson, we kind of knew he was living on borrowed time and this day would come eventually; it's still sad nevertheless, and he will be missed.

Schfifty

Reaction score
Aw, that is sad... it's a shame he passed early. :frown:

animalrescuer

Reaction score
He may not have been as well known as Jim or Jerry, but he was clearly a talented individual.

RIP Michael

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
This is what I put on Facebook: Earlier today, Michael Earl tragicly lost his battle with cancer. To remember him, here he is as Forgetful Jones. RIP, Michael. We'll miss you.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
I'm so sad though I wonder if we're going to loose Marty since that makes this two of Snuffy's performers passed away and I think I heard he has cancer.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I remember Dr. Tick Tock, however, I wasn't aware there was actualy 50 of them - mainly because I think my PBS only ever played one of them (911).