The Steven Universe thread

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm glad that outside of that, they brought back New Thursdays. I really am not a fan of this airing hiatus followed by a month's worth of episodes in a week schedule that CN has.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Seems that Gems normally fuse with their own kind. When Ruby and Sapphire fused for the first time, however, the others didn't take kindly to it. Obvious allegory to racism is obvious.

And I loved R&S's duet later on. And the little dance they did together to fuse before meeting Rose Quartz and Pearl. And all the pretty scenery surrounding them. It's all too much to take in. :dreamy:

Drtooth

Reaction score
While the show has referenced Revolutionary Girl Utena before, the beginning of the flashback really took those references visual and even pacing wise. Especially the upside-down palace.

I especially love the revelation that Garnet was the first mixed fusion. That gives a nice extra level of depth to her strong fusion views. Plus, it's always great to see more layers of mystery pealed back in this show.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I also loved how "messy" Garnet looked with her first fusion design. I'm assuming when she got shattered and reformed, she was able to "fix" that.

Oh, and that poor Pearl owned by Blue Diamond. :cry:

Last edited:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Naturally the result of Steven having a birthday would have been the opposite result of So Many Birthdays. And of course he also wouldn't have control over giving himself the illusion of aging like he did with that episode.

Rewatching "The Answer" I've noticed a couple things I forgot to mention. First off, back when Peridot was talking about how Pearls were obedient little servants or toys or something, it hinted at how gems are all the same based on type. We got to see that with the identical Rubies (spoiled by the previews, though). But we also got to see another Pearl, a silent gem with hair covering its eyes, as the servant of Blue Diamond. Took me another listen to Ruby and Sapphire's song to realize it was all an arrangement of "Stronger than You," though I had a feeling it was near the ending, the opening also matches up.

And rewatching "Too Far" when Peridot was mocking Amethyst for being smaller and imperfect, I noticed she mentioned she was a Quartz and she was supposed to be larger.

I wonder.

Does this mean that the Kindergarten project was meant to make evil clones of Rose Quartz in a shallow attempt to destroy her with brute strength?

mr3urious

Reaction score
Naturally the result of Steven having a birthday would have been the opposite result of So Many Birthdays. And of course he also wouldn't have control over giving himself the illusion of aging like he did with that episode.
Age really seems to be just a state of mind with Steven. Whereas he aged uncontrollably after worrying over his fear of being old in "So Many Birthdays", here he worried about staying young forever and struggled to maintain his willful growth spurt.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
Has anyone else have trouble finding the pop's? I only found Steven so far.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Check Hot Topic; I bought Steven for best friend for Xmas and found him, Garnet, Amethyst and Pearl there.
Hot Topic is the only place to find them for the time being, and there's a reason for it. They had a special exclusive early release deal, which isn't exactly a new thing. They had the Attack on Titan Pops months before they hit mainstream stores and other collectors outlets. Only difference here is the SU pops actually have a sticker that says "Hot Topic Exclusive Early Release." I don't know when they hit other stores yet, though. They also can be purchased through the Cartoon Network web store, if you're willing to pay 15 bucks each.