"The Muppets" show runner exits, series to be relaunched February 2 with episodes 11-16

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I notice they're claiming the show was lacking any joy, laughter, and heart. Uh, yeah, when you're trying to model the show after other shows that lack those three ingredients, I doubt they're going to magically materialize.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Okay, I'm going to shoot straight, I was a big fan of the new show, I loved every episode we got, but people didn't like it. I don't know if the retooling will bring people back, hoping it will, but do we really need sketches in this show. I feel that's a desperate attempt to make a TMS copy like MT. Bringing back Camilla seems like a good move, but I'd hate to see this turn into TMS, I love TMS, it's a great show, but that belongs in the 70's-80's nothing like that would work on this show. I feel this retooling is a desperate attempt to appeal to the complainers who watched like one muppet movie in the 90's, probably MCC, and watched Muppet Babies as a kid, and are annoyed by how adult this new show is, and why isn't Skeeter on this show, or I want the muppets to be suitable for my 2 year old child. At the same time, I don't care if they retool the show a lot, if it keeps it from getting cancelled then I'm all for it.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I notice they're claiming the show was lacking any joy, laughter, and heart. Uh, yeah, when you're trying to model the show after other shows that lack those three ingredients, I doubt they're going to magically materialize.
Did you like the last episode though?

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Okay, I'm going to shoot straight, I was a big fan of the new show, I loved every episode we got, but people didn't like it. I don't know if the retooling will bring people back, hoping it will, but do we really need sketches in this show. I feel that's a desperate attempt to make a TMS copy like MT. Bringing back Camilla seems like a good move, but I'd hate to see this turn into TMS, I love TMS, it's a great show, but that belongs in the 70's-80's nothing like that would work on this show. I feel this retooling is a desperate attempt to appeal to the complainers who watched like one muppet movie in the 90's, probably MCC, and watched Muppet Babies as a kid, and are annoyed by how adult this new show is, and why isn't Skeeter on this show, or I want the muppets to be suitable for my 2 year old child. At the same time, I don't care if they retool the show a lot, if it keeps it from getting cancelled then I'm all for it.
They're not trying to make it like The Muppet Show, they said that we would see SOME of the sketches,that doesn't mean that the sketches are going to take up the entire show. We're still going to have virtually the same premise as before,the majority of each episode is going to be the plot, we're just going to occasionally see a sketch or two every so often.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
All the changes sound promising,but i'm not sure how I feel about them having a recurring human villain.
What if Constantine was the recurring villain?

I kid.

But yeah, the human villain sounds more like it belongs in a movie. A villain for one episodes isn't a bad idea at all. Even bringing a baddie back for a later episode would be fine. But I wouldn't want the concept to grow stale. Maybe the villain will be more in line with Denise or Becky in terms of screentime.

Still looking forward to the other adjustments!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
A recurring villain may not even be a villain in the actual sense of a character (a la Constantine), it could simply be an antagonistic character set up to give the Muppets some kind of comic foil to create conflict - think Frank Burns from M*A*S*H.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
A recurring villain may not even be a villain in the actual sense of a character (a la Constantine), it could simply be an antagonistic character set up to give the Muppets some kind of comic foil to create conflict - think Frank Burns from M*A*S*H.
I see what you mean,kind of like J.P Grosse on The Muppet Show.

JimAndFrank

Reaction score
Hmm. I was honestly enjoying the direction the show was originally going in, but I suppose the more seasoned fans than myself have a fair reason to want bigger improvements.

Including characters like Camilla seems like a good idea because it will fill a few gaping holes in the mix of things. As for Piggy and Kermit, I still think it's too early for them to start to slowly slide back together again. I really think that Kermit needs to slow down and to be a bachelor for a while. If he hops at the first chance to reunite with Piggy, then what exactly has he learned from all of this?

The inclusion of updated Muppet sketches sounds promising. The obvious ones are the Chef's cooking segment and Muppet Labs, possibly Pigs In Space too which means we'll get Link Hogthrob and Strangepork back for good. It's rather exciting actually. If they do it right, there will be just enough Muppet Show added in that it will make a heap of the casual fans happy.