The breakfast cereal thread

mr3urious

Reaction score
If for no other reason it features some big name voice actors. I swear the Star Marshmallow is Peter Browngardt doing his Uncle Grandpa voice.
I can imagine an episode of the show with UG in one of those ending skits flying in saying "I'm a marbit now."

They brought back Chuck McCann to voice Gramps, a character not seen in a Cocoa Puffs ad since the 70's. Nice to know that while all the other GM cereal ads are trying to go for new directions to stay relevant, they chose this one specifically to stick to their roots.
Are you sure they're still doing those commercials with the hand-drawn characters against loads of conspicuous CG? I thought they stopped doing them since the 2000s.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
What ever happen to Smorez from Kelloggs I used eat that stuff every winter.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Are you sure they're still doing those commercials with the hand-drawn characters against loads of conspicuous CG? I thought they stopped doing them since the 2000s.
The video (that seems to be either from the company that animated it directly or someone with the exact credits) does give it an upload date of 2012, but I saw it multiple times on current kid's television breaks as of this week. Though, I haven't seen the thing since maybe last year at the earliest. Nice to know they still use it at least. Plus, bringing back such an obscure character with his original voice actor is a great step. Wish they made more new Sonny and Gramps ads.

As I said in the Weekly Box Office thread, the new Batman vs Superman movie is set to bring a Chocolate Strawberry Batman themed and Caramel Crunch Superman themed cereal. Would kinda be cool if they put them in one box, Nerds or Nintendo breakfast System style, but I'm not complaining. I've found movie themed breakfast cereals to be lackluster of date. The first Smurf film brought a special, two sided box (movie and original designs, natch) but basically Pebbles with the pieces being Blue and White and (at the best of my recollection) vanilla flavored. Post would repurpose Pebbles again for Turbo, a Strawberry flavored cereal with uninspired white circular marbits (got a lot of both cheap on clearance, actually). Seems a lot of these movie tie ins are just typical cereals with marbits tossed in, actually. Though I like Star Wars, even though it just tastes like Trix with Star Wars themed Marbits. But the corn pieces are shaped like various vehicles from Star Wars.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
I was at the grocery store recently and guess what I saw there, SPONGEBOB CEREAL.

snichols1973

Reaction score
http://www.lavasurfer.com/cereal-guide.html has a very extensive list of cereal mascots past and present.....

Is it me, or does anyone else miss the good old days when Barney would trick Fred out of his Fruity/Cocoa Pebbles? With all the "Team Fruity vs. Team Cocoa" stuff going on, it seems like its novelty has already worn threadbare...:frown:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I was at the grocery store recently and guess what I saw there, SPONGEBOB CEREAL.
I love it. Kelloggs may not have the grapes to stand up to Commercial Free Childhood's frivolous lawsuit, but GM did.

Though, to be honest, Kellogg's Spongebob cereal was more palatable with large corn pop style jellyfish pieces and the ubiquitous marbits. GM's is more creative on the flavor front, but it's a weird flavor that doesn't translate well into cereal pieces. And yes, it's pineapple. Give them all the credit in the world for trying it, but it took me three bowls to even figure out it was supposed to be pineapple, and not weird sweety flavor. It tastes more like that pineapple syrup stuff they put on ice cream than an actual fruit.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
I got try to get me a box of that Spongebob cereal now.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I hate how the other Nick cereals are preschool show based. Kinda disappointed that their massive TMNT merchandising chest does not bare a cereal.

I'd totally grab a box of TMNT cereal if they made it. Never got the original "Ninja Nets" and turtle marbits one. Actually, come to think of it, I never did get why they had "ninja nets." I know the show was non-confrontational violence unless they were robots (it was the 80's, Leo's swords could only cut pizza and ropes and Europe hated Mikey's chucks), but they didn't carry around nets. Nets were not ubiquitous with the brand.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Anyone remember Team Cheerios, which was first made to promote the '96 Summer Olympics? It was a blend of the Honey Nut, Frosted, and a new brown sugar variety to represent gold, silver, and bronze medals. With the summer games in Rio coming up as well as the cereal's 20th anniversary, now should be the perfect time to bring back this true breakfast of champions! :smile:

Last edited:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I vaguely remember all of the novelty items that they came out with to promote the 1996 Summer Olympics . . . like remember those little Nestle ice cream cups that came with little treats like stickers or washable tattoos or trading cards or things like that? I seem to recall a tie-in with those.