Will HBO have any Classic Sesame Street episodes?

ssetta

Reaction score
It turns out the 4 classic episodes that were listed are only some of them! There's now a whole bunch of episodes from the 90s and 2000s that have not been released. This actually makes me feel a bit better.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I just saw on Muppet Wiki that the classic episodes are edited on HBO. I wonder why, since HBO doesn't air commercials (and I think these are just on the HBO streaming service, so... Yeah, why the cuts?).

Looked at the list of episodes available, one of them is listed as "Big Bird Bowling Ball", which is actually the one where Biff gets his thumb stuck in a bowling ball (and actually it's the season 27 repeat, Muppet Wiki currently doesn't have a full guide to that version, though if the episodes are edited then the guide will still be incomplete). I guess they thought people would be more likely to check the episode out if it was mentioned to be about Big Bird instead of Biff.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
So, the classic episodes all have credits added to them, using the appropriate credit sequence of the time. They cut some things to make room for them, I suppose. Some stuff is cut, I guess, for licensing/rights reasons too. The "Coming Soon" sequences aren't there either for the shows that would've had them.

I've only skimmed through some, but #1576 is the Old School Vol. 3 edit (with no theme/"Honk Around the Clock").

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I saw on Muppet Wiki that one episode replaced practically every Spanish-speaking segment. I wonder what the deal with that is.

I also saw that two episodes removed Harvey Kneeslapper. I hope they're not cutting the character completely from the reruns.

If end credits are added to all episodes that originally didn't have credits, with the closing from that season, then I hope that some season 11 episodes get featured. I don't think the season 11 closing is available to anybody (outside of Sesame Workshop).

I'm not surprised that the "coming soon on Sesame Street" teasers are cut.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
If end credits are added to all episodes that originally didn't have credits, with the closing from that season, then I hope that some season 11 episodes get featured. I don't think the season 11 closing is available to anybody (outside of Sesame Workshop).
Well, unfortunately 1186, 1576, 1952, and 1957 are the only pre-Season 25 episodes available.

Also, as any fanatic would know, in many Season 15 episodes, they'd usually do the CTW mention over a screenshot of either a scene or insert from the episode. Sure enough, in addition to the usual Barkley credits, 1952 and 1957 are followed by the CTW mentions from 2 other random Season 15 episodes. 1952 has a screenshot of David and Telly working at the Fix-It Shop's computer. 1957 has a screenshot of The Count by the stoop of 123 Sesame Street with Bob, David, Maria, Mr. Macintosh, and Susan. (All 5 of them have baffled looks on their faces.) How much do you want to bet that we're never gonna see either of those 2 episodes?

(I would include pictures here, except I caught both of them on my phone, and I'm not sure how to download them to the computer. But hopefully, I'll find a way!)

gbrobeck

Reaction score
It looks like their offering of older episodes has already expanded from earlier this month (some more Season 25 and later shows) so maybe this trend will continue.

ssetta

Reaction score
It looks like their offering of older episodes has already expanded from earlier this month (some more Season 25 and later shows) so maybe this trend will continue.
Do you mean in addition to the 4 that were listed before it launched? The ones on there now have been there since the 16th. I was a little bummed because I thought you meant in addition to the episodes that are on there now.

gbrobeck

Reaction score
I swear I saw a couple on there that weren't on 1/16, but maybe I'm mistaken.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
The initial search you posted only listed 4 episodes, the entire "classic" catalog they'd be using was added on the 16th. I haven't noticed any new additions since then.