The breakfast cereal thread

Drtooth

Reaction score
Anyone remember Team Cheerios, which was first made to promote the '96 Summer Olympics? It was a blend of the Honey Nut, Frosted, and a new brown sugar variety to represent gold, silver, and bronze medals. With the summer games in Rio coming up as well as the cereal's 20th anniversary, now should be the perfect time to bring back this true breakfast of champions! :smile:
Sounds like all they need to do is mix up some whole grain Cheerios with some Frosted. If they don't bring it back, I'd just buy a box of each and mix them.

What ever happen to Smorez from Kelloggs I used eat that stuff every winter.
I found that cereal to be meh. The cereal pieces barely tasted like graham crackers and chocolate. I ot it a couple times and didn't feel it was as good as it could have been. Plus, it seems like GM had a better version of the cereal years earlier that didn't last as long.

Seems this built on the Golden Grahams formula, which is already a better sounding combination. Wish they'd bring that back. They have all these weird flavors of Cinnamon Toast Crunch, but Golden Grahams gets left out.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Over half of them are licensed character based. And to be fair the Smurfs had another cereal in 2011 with the movie and Star Wars always gets some sort of breakfast cereal every time it rolls around.

Other than that, there's a mark lack of creativity with kid's cereals for obvious reasons. Much like candy bars are now, any interesting cereal is just a limited time only variation of one already on the market. Sometimes Pebbles will have a different flavor, a third cereal that doesn't last more than a few months.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Other than that, there's a mark lack of creativity with kid's cereals for obvious reasons. Much like candy bars are now, any interesting cereal is just a limited time only variation of one already on the market. Sometimes Pebbles will have a different flavor, a third cereal that doesn't last more than a few months.
And nowadays, there's only so much you can do before it is seen as a knockoff of something else.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'd say it's a bit of both cost efficiency and lack of wanting to rattle cages with parental groups. But hey, even the big healthy bran cereals have as much sugar as a standard kid's cereal.

Considering how short certain cereals get runs of, I'm not surprised they play it that safe. Then again, Quaker cereals were always just a different shape of Cap'n Crunch. Quisp, Mr. T and Tiny Toons. Even the Donut cereal is donut shaped Crunch pieces with sprinkles on them. They had a few odd variations in the 70's, but it never really moved much from the same cereal different ways. Kellogg's is just doing their standard Frosted Cheerios knockoff with Marbits for licensed cereals lately. Frozen and Avengers especially. I have to admit, I missed their Disney line of the early to mid 00's. They had some pretty wild stuff like a Cocoa Puffs type cereal with cookie bits rolled onto them with mar bugs for Timon and Pumbaa (later repurposed as Stitch, probably with space shaped things instead), the same Frosted Cheerios stuff with little chocolate cookies for Atlantis (which didn't last long) and the crazy colored Buzz Lightyear cereal with purple graham cookies.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Why does Shrek suddenly have a new cereal out now?

Drtooth

Reaction score
He does?

I kinda thought Shrek (minus Puss who has his own Netflix series) was in the rear view mirror for Dreamworks. I know he does have a series of Pop vinyls due out, but then again a lot of those are older films anyway. I'd love to see this cereal and try it if it sounds good enough. Personally, I'd rather Madagascar or just the penguins. Even KFP is more relevant with a movie just out. But if this is indeed true, I gotta check it out.

Anyway, I'm glad the Big G keeps putting prizes in cereal every so often. Really liked the Star Wars Droid Viewers they had. Got four of them including the Target exclusive BB-8. It's essentially the same one with a paint job. Other than Threepio's red arm, these things are just a solid color. But I've never seen a retail chain have an exclusive cereal prize before. The good thing is, it wasn't exactly randomly inserted. You knew there was a BB-8 inside cuz it was on the box. I forget which cereal it was though. I want to say Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

C to the J

Reaction score
I don't know if this was brought up, but there's one thing that baffles me: in what they call the 'Satur-Yay-Ahhh' commercials, there are a couple of breakfast characters we see along side the Trix Rabbit, Sonny, and Chip. One is a girly-voiced blob and another is an orange whose voice reminds me of Mr. Gus and a few other K.M.R. characters. I wonder if there's a story behind this breakfast-cereals-making-it-feel-like-a-Saturday-morning concept.