Henson Rarities on Youtube

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Is YOUTH 68 not publically available? Like with those TALES FROM MUPPETLAND specials, having seen Jim's other two experimental films (TIME PIECE and THE CUBE), I'd like to be able to see his other experimental piece, though from what I understand, unlike the other two, this one really isn't publically available.

tygerbug

Reaction score
I don't think Youth 68 is publicly available.

The Muppet Show and some of the specials had different end titles in the US and UK. Similar but centered/spaced differently. Bunny Picnic on Henson Rarities is the UK PAL edit. For purposes of foreign dubbing, the shows would also be mastered without onscreen text. I'm guessing that these were converted to PAL without end titles, and new end titles created in the UK. Different companies and channels would be distributing the shows in the US and UK so there would be a need for slightly different titles in all cases.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I didn't know videotape was affected by NTSC/PAL, considering it always runs at 30 fps, whereas film runs 24 fps in NTSC and 25 in PAL.

LabyrinthLani

Reaction score
Henson Rarities on Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8JxjRYYaLbs9fgsu13iQw

I've started a new channel for posting Henson rarities that I've restored myself from (mostly) VHS sources, starting out with three unaired episodes of Little Muppet Monsters (and two of the aired episodes).

As you might know, I've been collecting and restoring rarer Muppet productions for a few years now, with a special focus on The Jim Henson Hour and other specials from the classic era. I keep an email list and have put rare stuff out for download. Anyway, you'll want to keep your eyes on this channel!
Wow this is gnarly!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Is YOUTH 68 not publically available? Like with those TALES FROM MUPPETLAND specials, having seen Jim's other two experimental films (TIME PIECE and THE CUBE), I'd like to be able to see his other experimental piece, though from what I understand, unlike the other two, this one really isn't publically available.
I think it's available at the Paley Center for Media. Of course you'd have to go to one of the locations to view it.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yeah, 'cause, like, I don't live anywhere near NYC or LA.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It's been done a few months ago, but I'd like to say that I like how Henson Rarities made several clips from many productions (The Jim Henson Hour and various specials) viewable on their own in addition to the full production. Almost every sketch from The Muppet Show has been on YouTube on its own (in addition to the complete episodes, until recently), but a lot of the other stuff hadn't (though there have been exceptions, mainly in regards to songs). And now that I think about it I think it's mainly just songs that are shown on their own, but still, sometimes I want to watch the whole thing, sometimes I just want to watch (or maybe share on social media) a short clip without having to wait or skip through a lot.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'm the same way sometimes, so yes, I agree that it's nice that it works both ways like this; I've noticed this happens quite a bit with SST on YT as well in that sometimes people will post full episodes, sometimes people will post just the street scenes, and sometimes people do "fan edits" where they post already-posted street scenes and add already-posted inserts to recreate full episodes based on the episode guides at Muppet Wiki. All in all, it all wokrs out for everybody's interest.

LabyrinthLani

Reaction score
Erik Adams of The Onion AV Club reviews our Henson Rarities channel:

Thank heavens for the VHS junkie, the VCR jockey, and the other nonprofessional, copyright-flouting cultural archivists preserving the not-so-recent, videotaped past on the internet. In the highly specialized field of Muppet preservation, there’s no more valuable public resource than Henson Rarities, a YouTube channel overseen by artist, writer, and filmmaker Garrett Gilchrist. Gilchrist has pulled hours and hours of Jim Henson- and Muppet-related footage from video-cassette sources, keeping commercially unavailable odds and ends like The Muppets Go To The Movies, The Fantastic Miss Piggy Show, and The Jim Henson Hour (the last of which proved handy for me on a recent assignment) in circulation. In addition to pulling Sam And Friends and Muppet Inc.’s anarchic advertising work back from broadcast oblivion, the channel also collects material that didn’t make it to air, like the pilot presentation for Handmade Video (a proto-reality show starring, among others, Dana Gould) or video footage from Henson’s 1991 memorial service in New York. Putting aside the ghoulish and voyeuristic subtext of the latter, the memorial service does serve as a testament to the amount of joy, kindness, and humor that Henson put out into the world—then again, that’s the takeaway from nearly every video on Henson Rarities. [Erik Adams]

http://www.avclub.com/article/political-satire-some-literary-maps-and-obscure-ji-228209

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8JxjRYYaLbs9fgsu13iQw/videos
Did your account get removed?

I was looking for your account to watch some goodies again, and everything is gone!

:-(