Netflix, do your stuff! The Magic School Bus gets new series.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Another show revival, just... ugh...

Someone said that the world needed more episodes of John Moschitta Twins urrr...Gilmore Girls.

Really?

Will the show be sponsored by Micro Machines or what?
Apparently the original series didn't get closure, so I can kinda justify this revival.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That makes sense. Though, clearly about 10 years are going to pass, so whatever closure would have to be done in flashback form. And they're going to have to work some convolution to write off Mellisa McCarthy's character since she's a major star now. I'm happy for the fans of this, I guess, but I just could never get behind this show. They talk like no one in the real world does, and fast to get every piece of dialogue in there in the hour run time. If they spoke at a normal pace I'm sure the show would have 2 hour episodes. Plus, I was forced to watch a couple of them lately, and the show is depressing. And not the good deep heart feeling depressing of a Pixar film or half the episodes of Adventure Time about Ice King. The "why does this have to be so depressing" depressing that I find offputting.

Hilariously, this show airs on "wholesome" channels now, and the show basically has the message of those small community towns are just awful. The main characters seem to hate everything about it, the mother is an overbearing monster...which is funny for Archer and Arrested development and to an extent 2 and a half men, but unlikable in a dramatic setting.

Duke Remington

Reaction score
I'm more of a PieGuyRulz fan, myself.

Anyhow, we seem to be living through some sort of '90s Renaissance right now with all of these TV reboots in the works. I'm really looking forward to (most of) them. :smile:
I agree that PIEGUYRULZ is more tolerable and level-headed than Mr. Enter, but he too needs to lighten up about some things like Teen Titans Go, which he does miss the point of, just like Enter and other irrational crybaby fanboys who are mostly or completely incapable of saying anything nice, constructive, balanced or positive.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Actually, I just realized something via a Cartoon Hangover video that really has me interested in a new Magic School Bus. I'll give you the video and you can try and guess.

If you said "we have a deeper understanding of sciences years after the show was produced," that's exactly what I'm talking about. When it comes to science in media, things get disproven an it dates the material, unfortunately. I was very impressed by the little aside in Jurassic World about how those were probably not what dinosaurs looked exactly like, but it's what the tourists expect. Thus getting them out of any scientific inaccuracies that would have no doubt haunted the franchise in the future. I can't wait to see the Friz on more accurate science lessons, and I'm sure that's what the kids deserve.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I wouldn't exactly say 'wrong,' (some, perhaps, but not all of them) I would say most of those are oversimplified so that kids can understand the idea. I mean, these are advanced concepts that are being taught to young children who can barely read and write. You're going to lose some detail somewhere to make the ideas easier to digest.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah. Some of the stuff isn't so much wrong as glib, but when it comes to the original series, discoveries and breakthroughs have been made since. So hopefully they keep current with a new series. I'd love them to do an episode about the Pluto debate, actually.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I wouldn't exactly say 'wrong,' (some, perhaps, but not all of them) I would say most of those are oversimplified so that kids can understand the idea. I mean, these are advanced concepts that are being taught to young children who can barely read and write. You're going to lose some detail somewhere to make the ideas easier to digest.
And the writers take some liberties in science for the sake of storytelling. For example, any episode involving shrinking would cause Friz and the kids to be crushed to death under their own weight as their mass wouldn't change along with their size. Either that or they'll just sink into the ground.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm glad the list/video didn't get nitpicky to point out that sort of thing and realizes it's a cartoon series. Though I have a slight problem with the last one about Friz's catchphrase. While it is true that serious, career scientists prefer controlled environments, you're not going to exactly excite kids with it. The line is clearly geared towards younger kids with a sense of adventure to go an explore around places and play around with scientific concepts to get them on the road to such technical science based careers. Or at least get a general interest.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I also started to recall an episode where the class learns about how cars work as they travel inside the bus' engine to find out what's wrong with it, and along the way, they show that it has a carburetor. I have a feeling that if they do an episode like that with the new series, the bus will use fuel injection instead, as that's been the automotive standard since the '80s.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'd love it if they'd do an episode about different car engines, actually. Have them talk about gas burning and hybrid cars, as well as alternate fuel sources.

There's so many advances in science since the show, the books even, began. Whatever can be said about the necessity of certain cartoons getting reboots, I feel that Magic School Bus is a show that totally needs to find a new generation of those who want to learn more about science.