Now what's going on with YouTube?

Muppy

Reaction score
Has anyone else heard about YouTubers "TheFineBros." attempting to trademark "React" videos such as children reacting to things. They're sending out copyright claims to multiple YouTube channels that just feature videos of reactions. What next? Is someone going to trademark breathing?

mr3urious

Reaction score
Has anyone else heard about YouTubers "TheFineBros." attempting to trademark "React" videos such as children reacting to things. They're sending out copyright claims to multiple YouTube channels that just feature videos of reactions. What next? Is someone going to trademark breathing?
They are not trademarking the word or the video type. What they're actually doing is licensing out the rights to their specific "React" video series to be adapted by other people and in other countries, just like a fast food company licensing out its business model to others for franchises. No way will they be pulling down other reaction vids on YT en masse unless they rip off their style specifically.

Muppy

Reaction score
They are not trademarking the word or the video type. What they're actually doing is licensing out the rights to their specific "React" video series to be adapted by other people and in other countries, just like a fast food company licensing out its business model to others for franchises. No way will they be pulling down other reaction vids on YT en masse unless they rip off their style specifically.

That's what they're saying, but if you do some research (not you specifically lol) you'll find that there are TONS of videos being taken down, even though they're fair use.

Someone made a good point by saying that the FineBros. make money off of other people's videos and fame, but if one person wants to make another react video, their video is flagged and taken down. It's really sad what they're doing. At least they're getting in trouble for it. They've lost over 50,000 subscribers today.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score

Make of this what you will.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Looks like the Fine Bros. completely backpedaled in their attempt to trademark and franchise their "React" series after the huge outrage they created across the Net, but I'd say this chance to mend bridges with their fans was too little too late.

And YT has officially forced me to use their laggy-as-Elmo (at least on my crappy laptop) HTML5 player, so I installed an add-on in Firefox that lets me use the old Flash player. Problem solved. :smile:

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Youtube has been having a lot of issues recently. A lot of channels have been targeted for using clips from other people's videos and movies,despite the "fair use" law. A popular youtube channel called "I Hate Everything" was deleted with no warning or explanation,luckily the channel is back after huge amounts of backlash from fans and other youtubers. But some lessor-known channels haven't been so lucky. Even the Nostalgia Critic has been targeted and has said that his channel has lost a lot of money because of it. And those aren't even half the problems the website is having. Several Youtubers have made videos about the problems. Some saying that they did not break any rules and that youtubers who are more well-known get to break the rules but don't get suspended just because they make the website more money.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
This is exactly why when I was doing my experimental film last year and I needed clips for dream sequences, I actually asked other YouTubers for permission to use their content - many of them said yes, however ironically, there was one certain clip I was wanting (just footage of the beach of Destin, Florida), and I must have asked at least a dozen different people if I could use a video of theirs, and somehow that was the only footage I never could get permission to use, so I ended up just throwing in a pic I found on Google of the beach of Destin: it stands out jarringly in the dream sequence, but it's all I could do, lol.

But here's a new problem I've been encountering recently: you know that thumbnail preview that comes up whenever you move your cursor over the timeline? That's apparently terribly out of sync with the video now - usually the thumbnail you see at a particular point in the timelike is actually several seconds behind the actual video itself.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Welp, got a new copyright strike today - currently the only one on my account right now. They had to have looked really hard for these or found them by accident, because they had no descriptions, no tags, and the titles were jumbled characters. I'm a little concerned right now, because CBS seems to have become another big copyright nazi on YT that they may take down one of my YTPs for using HOGAN'S HEROES clips. Makes sense though . . . isn't CBS owned by Viacom? Viacom's always been a notorious copyright nazi for years.

You know what else I don't understand? Whenever you get a strike, as punishment, they disable some of the features on your account until the strike is lifted, and one of the features that gets disabled is you're unable to make videos unlisted. Doesn't that seem a bit irrelevant? I mean the way they police YT, they can find your videos even if they're unlisted or private anyway, so what's the point?