Fresh Off the Boat impressions

Drtooth

Reaction score
Never heard anyone actually say it back then. And that was the age of Captain Planet. You'd think that could've been said in every episode.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I love how the grandmother has an obsession with Garfield. And that's a nice little touch because the character is humongously popular in Chinese countries. I mean, the second live action movie was a hit over there. That alone speaks volumes of love. Cuz I saw part of it Thanksgiving weekend, and it was just... boring and obvious.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I can safely say that FotB has gotten a longer run than All-American Girl, with a 24th episode soon to air compared to AAG's 19. If the real Eddie Huang can see that, then maybe he'll change his tone about the show. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I can kind of see his point of view about the show, but in the end, getting arrested a lot isn't going to make a light family sitcom. And it really seems that both this series and the Goldbergs have evolved the same issue. Oh, yeah, sure it's a biographical show and all, but the main character the show is about isn't half as fun to write for as the mother and the brother of FOTB and TG respectively. FOTB has seemed to come back around to Eddie in recent episodes, but The Goldbergs almost seems like it should be called Big Tasty's Parental Drama Fun Show. Not that I'm complaining, of course.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Gotta love how that Asian-American center was mostly full of those who weren't East Asian, including South Asians, Central Asians, and white Americans who were born in Asian countries. A couple of them even got "Chinese" tattoos that just spelled out gibberish, which is a very real phenomenon in the tattoo world.

Drtooth

Reaction score
A nice little razz to the fact that Asia doesn't just mean China, Japan and Korea. But it was also great to see an episode educate non-Chinese audiences about Chinese New Year.

Loved seeing the heartbroken kid entrepreneurs finding out they won't get a Snoopy Snow Cone maker. I actually had one and was meaning to get another.

Hayley B

Reaction score
I have been loving this new show too. I didn't think I would ever like another comedy after Married With Children. But I've been adoring this one.

mr3urious

Reaction score
You know, I really liked one of the past episodes where Eddie slept over at one of his friends' house because his mother was really lax and more like a best friend to him, farting on him and engaging in screaming matches every time she tries to tell him what to do, and that made Eddie realize that he doesn't want that kind of relationship with his own mom and promptly returned home. I'd love to see more of them in the future. :smile:

mr3urious

Reaction score
ABC has officially renewed this show for a 3rd season, which should be a huge victory for Asian-Americans everywhere! :smile:

As for the show itself, I really liked how Marvin connected with the youngest boys in the Valentine's Day episode several weeks ago, and how he does seem to genuinely love Honey despite her being trophy wife material for him.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I liked seeing some extra backstory from the family, and this time it was about how the parents got their "American" names after she revealed to her boys that theirs all came at a line-of-sight. Jessica got hers from a beloved Allman Brothers Band song while at college when everyone struggled to pronounce her real name, while Louis "stole" his from a gang member and won it thanks to some bad seafood. Most importantly, we hear of Grandma's "American" name:
Jenny.