Harvey Beaks: New Nick series

Drtooth

Reaction score
The "It's time to Slam and welcome to the Yam" line floored me.

Anyone else feel this episode was channeling Chowder with Harvey in the Mung Daahl role and his father as an assistant? Even the yam with the face on it seemed very Chowderish. I could totally see the "Wake Me Up Before you Go-Go" parody in an episode of that first series of his.

mr3urious

Reaction score
The "It's time to Slam and welcome to the Yam" line floored me.

Anyone else feel this episode was channeling Chowder with Harvey in the Mung Daahl role and his father as an assistant? Even the yam with the face on it seemed very Chowderish. I could totally see the "Wake Me Up Before you Go-Go" parody in an episode of that first series of his.
There's also the stop motion/diorama visuals used in the board game scenes themselves courtesy of Screen Novelties, which also felt more at home with Chowder. :smile:

mr3urious

Reaction score
I loved how Harvey felt sorry for the twins being homeless this time when they were in danger of being fried by lightning in the storm, only for it to bite him back when he offers them to stay at his place, which just goes to show him that some people are happy with the way they live already. Though it did end on a heartwarming note when they really were in danger. And seeing Fee and Foo in those feety pajamas was just too precious! :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think that episode answered an important question about why the Beaks family didn't adopt them or at least give them a place to crash. They're just too different for it to work out just yet.

Last night's episode was great. Instead of just making Moth the butt of the 30 something fanboy loser jokes, they actually showed that he is a deeply miserable and lonely person. What made it even better is that Fee herself was the one who wanted to help him because Foo and her know what it's like to be left out.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I loved how we got to see Rooter's family and how their breed of paranoia is contagious, especially to Harvey and his dad. Loved how their bunker was loaded with all those booby traps, too.

Drtooth

Reaction score
An entire episode revolving around Techno-Bear? Yes please!

When I first saw him overreact to his real name, I almost thought this was going to be like that Arthur, where Binky's real name was revealed to be Shelly. But I liked how Terry threw away his original persona to adopt a cowboy one he was struggling with. I also think there's some great potential about him being adopted by a family of Turtles and not actually realizing that, despite being a bear, that he's adopted. Shades of Po and Ping here. I also like how, even though the characters are a sort of dated reference to Jersey Shore, they aren't a couple dumb stereotypes the writers went whole hog on making fun of. Sure, there's some gentle ribbing here and there (the Chinese character tattoo), but they're good people who really love their adoptive son.

This series is all sorts of sweet and beautiful. I'm glad that it's actually different enough from Chowder that it gives us the feels. Usually I'm kinda turned off by dissimilarity between shows created by the same guy, but this is glorious.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I also like how, even though the characters are a sort of dated reference to Jersey Shore, they aren't a couple dumb stereotypes the writers went whole hog on making fun of. Sure, there's some gentle ribbing here and there (the Chinese character tattoo), but they're good people who really love their adoptive son.
Yeah, South Park already did the "Guidos are stupid" thing years ago.

And how did T-Bear's mention of wearing "designer diaper thongs" as a baby get past the censors? And how his his mom met by barging in on his dad in the men's room? And T-Bear's "stripping off" of his cowboy clothing at the club and tossing it into the crowd?

mr3urious

Reaction score
So, Harvey's go-kart is called the Friendship Express. Gee, I hope Hasbro doesn't slap Nick with a lawsuit!

Anyway, loved all the Mario Kart references in "Bark Kart", right down to the music done in the style of the games.
And even though I expected Randl's submarine ride grand prize to not be an actual sub, what I didn't expect is that the kids enjoyed their cardboard piece of crap.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think the fact the kids loved the crappy cardboard "ride" was a lot more inspired than having them gang up on Randal. That would have been too on the nose. Seems to be more in spirit with the show, anyway. Just like Harvey's realization that they all should get a turn and they should all win.

Of course I also enjoyed it on another level. I love Wacky Races, but I find Dastardly and Muttley designated villains on the show. The characters all cheat and try to knock each other off the road and they're never seen as anything more than "oh, those crazy racers." With that in mind, I enjoyed how Fee told Harvey that it was okay to be aggressive since that's how races are. Harvey was being too nice, but realized that he went too far when being aggressive, even though it was for the right reasons.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Don't forget! New episodes of Harvery Beaks all this week starting Mon June 6 (so, yesterday). These are the last episodes of the season.