Weekly Box Office and Film Discussion Thread

Drtooth

Reaction score
Apparently, the Panda-ering to China worked because
it set a record for largest animated film opening over there, and its modest 41 mil opening was the largest Animated film opening in January domestically.

The thing that now annoys me is the previous record holder, the Nut Job, was considered successful at opening 19 mil?! How cheap was that thing to make?

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
I hope KFP could make at least 50 million at the box office.

mr3urious

Reaction score
KFP3 has no competition in its 2nd week, and should hopefully hold its own there. For the following week, it should make a kid-friendly alternative to the Deadpool movie to parents who actually pay attention to the R rating.

Drtooth

Reaction score
KFP will do nicely for a regional vacation week. Sometimes those little bumps in daily vacation day matinee viewings can do wonders. Sure, it didn't hit as hard as The Lego Movie did in February, but it very well could see a nice uptick when the kids are bored. Even though some of us have had a mild winter, there's still not that much to do. That's where the movie can take its advantage. I do remember a certain...ahem... dumb gnome movie managed to go from flop to sleeper hit in a couple weekends. Maybe it'll work wonders for KFP here.

Still... while we could laugh about the other bear in the room, it's essentially made back its money counting the international BO. That's the beauty (fiscally speaking) of a low budget suckfest like Norm. It doesn't have to be successful to be considered "successful." A cheaply made film may not make money, but it's sure not to lose enough money that it'll hurt them. No wonder why the previous record holder for January animated openings was less than half KFP3's take, and was considered successful enough for a sequel.

snichols1973

Reaction score
As of February 6, 2016, Kung Fu Panda 3 has grossed $53.3 million in North America, above the projected $40-45 million opening week estimates, and $82.2 million worldwide, grossing $134.5 million so far.

Something tells me that, after the Happy Meal book promotion, that KFP3 toys will most likely be part of McDonald's Happy Meals, unless I'm mistaken...

Perhaps KFP: LoA might return from hiatus and Nick (or Nicktoons) might bring it back to the rotation:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kung_Fu_Panda:_Legends_of_Awesomeness_(season_3)

(note the scheduled release dates of 12/20/15 and 1/23/16 for the "Emperor's Rule" 2-parter)

In addition, this year's Chinese New Year celebrations will begin on Monday, Feb. 8th (2016 is designated as the Year of the Monkey)....

Last edited:

Drtooth

Reaction score
A
Something tells me that, after the Happy Meal book promotion, that KFP3 toys will most likely be part of McDonald's Happy Meals, unless I'm mistaken...
You are. Happily, it's Transformers: Robots in Disguise and MLP:FIM. If they had the license to KFP 3, they would have used it already.

Drtooth

Reaction score
DIDN'T I TELL YOU?!?!?!
Pride, Prejudice, and Zombies didn't fail to disappoint. You know when Disney had the chance to pull the plug on The Lone Ranger and they ignored the fact no one likes comedy westerns and released it only to see it fail anyway? PP&Z was another concept movie that like all other concept movies before them bombed. Now it joins the pantheon of Cowboys and Aliens, Abe Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, and Victor Frankenstein. And they totally had the choice to say "no one's going to see it" and not produce it. But produce it they did, and it opened sixth.

KFP meanwhile adds a modest 20 million to its box office take.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Doesn't it seem a tad inappropriate and insensitive to release a movie depicting the entire city of London under terrorist attack in an attempt to assassinate the visiting U.S. President so soon after ISIS attacked Paris?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I remember the same thing being said about Iron Man 3 once the Boston Marathon thing happened. Thankfully nothing came out of it. Then again, Iron Man 3 had a pretty subversive message about terrorism and how we want a face to put to our anger and fear. Olympus Has Fallen, I can't vouch for. I'm not going to be the guy to say "if we censor our movies, the terrorists win," but films back when that didn't edit out the World Trade Center were actually cheered.

Aside from that, all I can say is, was Olympus has Fallen that successful that it needed a sequel? A mission pack one to book. And weren't there two of these attacking the White House films released in a single year, mirroring the great "Deep Impact" and "Armageddon" debacle of the late 90's? Which one was the more comedic one with Jamie Foxx as the president?

mr3urious

Reaction score
So, how 'bout that Independence Day sequel? Roland Emmerich has been planning on it for a long time, and almost everyone except Will Smith is reprising their roles because he's apparently too good for it (yet not too good to team up with Shyamalan). Go figure.