The Muppets Episode 12 - A Tail of Two Piggies

What did you think of "The Muppets" episode "A Tail of Two Piggies"?

• Absolutely positively! This episode was great!

• Bork bork! This episode was good.

• Mee mee. This episode was so-so.

• You're all weirdos! This episode was disappointing.

Results are only viewable after voting.

ploobis

Reaction score
I don't have much of a problem with language either, so long as it's not used unnecessarily, which is hard to tell with this show since they've made it clear they're intentionally making the show "more adult." As people have already mentioned, when used in songs, that's not really a problem since family-friendly shows and movies have used songs with language in them anyway, but if the characters are using language for the sake of using language, then that would be unnecessary.
Even the Miskreant Puppets (in the Puppet Up shows) only use bad language when necessary in their Improv pieces.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
one thing that bugs me though, the new writing team that revamped the show was supposed to make it more family friendly, if anything lasts nights might have been the raunchiest with Pepe's Nudity and all !!!!!!!
They didn't revamp the writing team, they replaced the showrunner, and they never said anything about making the show more family friendly, they said the show was lacking heart and humor (but then again, most sitcoms today lack those things). Plus, again, we've been seeing Pepe naked for a long time - remember he was naked in MOz.

Even the Miskreant Puppets (in the Puppet Up shows) only use bad language when necessary in their Improv pieces.
Language in improv can be forgiven anyway considering improv is always off-the-cuff and anything goes -- scripted material on the otherhand, there's a difference between writing language for a little more realism and writing language for the sake of using language, and again with this show, it's hard to tell.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I know what you mean, Snowth. It's not so bad in some context, for example, like I said I didn't have any big issues with it in "The Hard to Be Humble" song or when Rowlf said "squirrels who won't mind their own da** business." But I just felt like in this case they went a little too far. I'm sorry, but growing up Christian, bad language has always been one of my pet peeves especially in shows or songs that use a lot of it.

ploobis

Reaction score
There's a line in this episode that not only did I think is Hilarious, but it also startled me! it was Big Mean Carl's line "PUT THAT AWAY!!!".

That to me is Hilarious Comedy timing!

MUPPETFAN1976

Reaction score
One of he strangest yet funniest episodes of the seasons. That Piggy tail was so unexpected! and of course, it would get big time news! I was pretty much as stunned as you both were when I saw that piggy tail! Also, Joan Jett was great in this episode, but the pigtail thing, in my personal opinion, got old...fast.That "PSA" was cute that they did. I liked that a lot! One of my favorite episodes of the season! #UnveilTheTail

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Ugh, in finals the ratings went down to a 0.8 demo and 2.70 million viewers a little bit lower than last week's 0.9 demo and 2.73 million viewers. Unrounded

Swine Song: 0.85
A Tail of Two Piggies: 0.82

Ugh seriously why are these ratings so low, this is just getting on my nerves now, people spent the last decade clamoring, new muppet show make one Disney, they make one and people desert, and ratings go from great to good to average to below average and now to bad, seriously even if it had stayed in the
1.1-1.2 demos it was doing for Pig's in a Blackout through Single all the Way then it would likely be renewed, but maybe they renew it if it doesn't go any lower, I really don't want to see what happens in May, I just hope the ratings go up, or ABC is forced to renew it, because of synergy.

C to the J

Reaction score
I can't help but think that the time change to 8:30 is the reason not many people are watching.

This might be a little off topic, but I watched all seasons of MacGyver (1985-1992), and the only words used were the H and the D, which, by the way, have legitimate variations, like ---lish and ---nation. No words worse than them were uttered at all. My kind of show. I don't mind the occasional 'sux,' 'krap,' and 'j@ck@$$ (both donkey and fool),' but I draw the line at the PG-13 and R rated ones, that's why I steer clear of channels like MTV and Comedy Central. The Muppets are in the proper direction, being what I might see as along the lines of Dinosaurs and keeping the content to a minimum.

jobi71

Reaction score
Ratings may also be a bit down as a number of states did not air the show at 8:30. I know Massachusetts and New Hampshire (and maybe all New England?) were running election coverage. The Muppets aired at 1:30 AM!. I just discovered my DVR was at least smart enough to tape it, so I will be watching later.

jobi71

Reaction score
I see that the conversation has gone back to some of the salty language in the show. The Muppets have never been children's entertainment, however, in their scripted performances they have historically been 97% family friendly. I deduct a few points for explosions and eating of characters (which can be a little traumatic). In off-the-cuff interviews and such they have been a little more adult and I think that is OK. This is coming from someone who thinks the best comedy on air is HBO's Veep. Julia Louis-Dreyfus is giving the best performance of an actress in a comedy by far, BUT the show is very profane and filled with cursing. If you are curious but don't like swearing do not watch. But to my eyes it is well written and an example when cursing is humorous. Another example I will offer is David Mamet. He is a playwright and occasional TV/film writer. Much of his work is filled with swearing. It is also filled with characters who would likely swear. In his award winning play American Buffalo after 80 minutes or so of the characters hurling insults at one another one of them says "Donny, I never liked you". The absence of profanity is unique and to my mind shows how deep the dislike extends. Language. All language can be used as a powerful tool. Cursing can be used well when it is used well. A few thoughts to end with: "Frankly Miss Piggy I don't give a hoot." - tagline for the Muppet Movie. "What the -" - frequent saying of Muppets when confronted with something odd. The absence of the curse works well. And on a political/social note - a poster a few back apologized for being Christian, and having those beliefs. I think that people are fine having their beliefs/opinions ASIDE from forcing these on to someone else (which this poster was not doing). In the belief system of most religions there is much to admire - Help the poor, Forgive, Treat you neighbor well. All of these (and more) are admirable. In short forcing a belief system is/can be bad, but living a belief system pretty good overall. ;-) Wow, a lot of politics. I understand if the moderators wish to remove this.

somethingofafan

Reaction score
Personally, I found the implied comparison to the exposure of certain parts of human anatomy to be more uncomfortable than the profanity.

That said, the episode was very entertaining.