The Chipmunks

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm sure detractors of the films will be happy to know that The Road Chip has been nominated for a couple Razzies.

I'm not going to defend the movie by any means, but this feels more like a "Holy Crap, we're annoyed with the fact this was made" nom than an actual "this is terrible and the world needs to know" nom. I'm disappointed Jem was actually snubbed. It's so bad they don't even want to bother, though they have no qualms in nominating the Transformers movies which at the very least have a couple fun moments here and there and a toyline. But it just may be the case that Fantastic Four could sweep the Razzies, as it should. The film was only made to keep a not even that lucrative Marvel franchise, and had such painful negativity surrounding it, it was Doomed anyway.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
There's apparently only two (full, half-hour) episodes left of this season, and some are speculating that Nick will simply hold them over till next season.

It'd be cool if they would just air them at random like CN would occasionally do with new episodes of its shows.

Rugratskid

Reaction score
I saw The Road Chip in theaters...

Meh, it could've gone without being made, but it was certainly better than Chipwrecked, for me anyway.

Also, the last 2 ALVINNN!!!! episodes from season 1 are titled "Mancave" and "Art for Art's Sake".

Drtooth

Reaction score
There's apparently only two (full, half-hour) episodes left of this season, and some are speculating that Nick will simply hold them over till next season.
I really don't know what to think about this, as they run the show sooooo many times a day it only takes a couple weeks to circle all the episodes they already had. This was such a surprise hit for Nick. It's run almost as much as Spongebob, and even has a couple hours here and there a day on Nicktoons. WOW.

I saw The Road Chip in theaters...

Meh, it could've gone without being made, but it was certainly better than Chipwrecked, for me anyway.
Hopefully the lower opening and gross at the hands of Star Wars will mean this is the last one. The cartoon series is more successful and well received. Nick airs it a crapload of times a day, so there's no real reason to see an inferior film version. I'm sure that movie only attracted little kids who wouldn't be able to sit through Star Wars without screaming or crying (because violence), but it was a real thin amount of kids anyway.

Drtooth

Reaction score
On the subject of the movie, I watched this dude's review.

Something tells me it's funnier than the actual film. I need to watch this guy's reviews more.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I just recently watched some guy's reviews of the top ten worst movies based on older cartoons (you'll be happy to know, Drtooth, that YOGI BEAR made the guy's list), of which the Squeakquel made the list, but the guy's complaints about the movie were kind of petty: he complained the Chipmunks sang to many covers of modern pop songs (something the Chipmunks have always done), about them going to school and nobody seeming fazed by it (something that's been in just about all their shows and movies), Alvin not exploiting his celebrity status to fit in at school (since the first season of the 80s cartoon, they've really played down their celebrity status and show them to otherwise be like other ordinary kids), and the Chipettes' subplot being thrown in just to copy the boys' from the first movie (a lot of people have complained about the Chipettes just being copies of the Chipmunks since the 80s).

Drtooth

Reaction score
You know, as much as I hate on the Yogi Bear movie, I'm rather actually more conflicted by it. I mean, it's pretty much the movie Yogi Bear would be made into to the letter. Something about saving Jellystone Park and screwing it up somehow. But it's just the poor casting choices and laziness of the movie that made it less than the already low bar.

Still, in a world where the bad Inspector Gadget movies (which I did like both initially, but disliked greater with every viewing) and Boris and Natasha (seriously, it fails at even being a Naked Gun knockoff) exist, I really can't complain much. Yogi and Boo-Boo were true to character, and with a stronger script and a better casted Ranger Smith (the guy who plays him would have made a far better Dave) it would have been more enjoyable. Other than that, I wish I didn't just miss the showing of Tangled. I have to admit, it's not the worst live action remake I've ever seen (at least by the merits of faithfulness to the subject material), but they just didn't care and a lot of it was just slapped together. And the whole Ranger Smith love interest with the Mary Sue character was just unmotivated and pointless. She had a camera. That's her importance to the plot.

Yes, they did the whole lame public confession video tape gag to foil the villain.

but the guy's complaints about the movie were kind of petty: he complained the Chipmunks sang to many covers of modern pop songs (something the Chipmunks have always done), about them going to school and nobody seeming fazed by it (something that's been in just about all their shows and movies), Alvin not exploiting his celebrity status to fit in at school (since the first season of the 80s cartoon, they've really played down their celebrity status and show them to otherwise be like other ordinary kids), and the Chipettes' subplot being thrown in just to copy the boys' from the first movie (a lot of people have complained about the Chipettes just being copies of the Chipmunks since the 80s).
Oddly, I'd have to say those were basically what's right with the movie. The Chipmunks have always covered popular songs. Never saw why that was a problem. Their 80's TV show had special 80's guests who were popular in the 80's. The 80's cartoon is one of the 80's-est things out there, as is the 90's episodes. Of course the films would be a product of their times. Only time they didn't really sing popular songs was the 60's cartoon where they sang mostly public domain fare. And duh the Chipettes were a copy of the Chipmunks. That was pretty much important to the plot after all. I mean, that school bit and Ian's revenge plot were what made the movie good. It's that stupid Nephew/cousin/whatever and his shoehorned in plot that made the movie suck. And did we really need the weird NASCAR mascot slapped in the middle of the movie for no reason?

Though I'm laughing at the comments about Road Chip how the movie stops COLD for a painful Chuck E Cheese advertisement. Shades of Free Birds's stupid ending no doubt.

Muppy

Reaction score
On the subject of the movie, I watched this dude's review.

Something tells me it's funnier than the actual film. I need to watch this guy's reviews more.
Black Nerd Comedy is an amazing reviewer / ranter, and he's great to watch if you're into 80's and 90's pop couture. I've been subscribed for a couple years now and his videos always make me laugh. Definitely give him a watch when you have some time!

Last edited:

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Yeah the past couple of months i've been really obsessed with these angry ranting youtubers recently such as the Nostalgia Critic,I Hate Everything and Black Nerd. The Nostalgia Critic being my favorite.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't really watch many of those kinds of reviews because of the sheer glut of them. It took me forever just to get into Angry Video Game Nerd, and between him and Classic Game Room (a decidedly not angry reviewer), that's the only ones I bother with.

But I just had to check out Black Nerd's review of a certain Polar Bear based film. And while it was essentially him yelling for the entire time (and there's no way anyone could blame him for that), this Road Chip review was delightfully insane. Like he was happy with the fact the movie sucked. I like something like that a lot more than just being angry. It's more fun to listen to a conflicted review because you can feel the conflict in their delivery.