You Ever Notice...and What's the Deal...

Drtooth

Reaction score
Not so much because it was cold, but for a couple feet of snow and driving in blizzard conditions. That stuff is deadly, and the storm has caused massive accidents. North Eastern states don't shut down for anything less than a foot (unless it comes down really fast and really bad), so that's saying something.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Was Susan Dey like the Kristen Stewart of her day? I noticed that like Kristen, she hardly ever smiled in her pictures.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Ugh. So . . . what, exactly, is the deal with certain people who have sketchy and sordid pasts themselves speaking out about others getting in trouble for similar actions? Like, for instance, when Charlie Sheen revealed he's HIV positive from years of sleeping around with thousands of different women, Jenny McCarthy (who was a fricken Playboy Bunny, and has slept around with countless different men herself) felt the need to mouth off about it. What, does she think it'll make her look more noble or something? Or now that Bill Cosby's been found guilty of drugging up and raping women, Lena Dunham is saying it needs to be a mark on his life forever . . . y'know, the same Lena Dunham who admitted to sexually assaulting her little sister when they were growing up?

Pots calling kettles black, much?
Too much of society today is the way it is because of people's screwed up values. It seems wrong is right, and right is wrong. People can turn a blind eye to their own lying, cheating, having kids out of wedlock, you name it. But if you try to point any of this out to them, or take àny higher moral ground, they'll dig deep to find any kind of dirt on you to frame you as a hypocrite.
Maybe if there were hîgher moral standards and people were held more accountable for their actions, things would be different.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I tend to feel that those who take the alleged moral high ground and have power (politicians, certain religious leaders) are humongous hypocrites and only pretend to care about moral standing to get votes or influence. Never forget the 1980's Televangelists that still bafflingly exist to this day. Scamming money, constant affairs, managing to take huge advantages of the tax system set up so small churches remain tax free.

To be clear, I'm not talking about individuals that actually have these values, though we should always question where they come from. In a world of the most immoral people paid to sl**-shame, fear monger, or overall whine about how terrible things are, we have to make sure we're not getting morality from (off the top of my head) prescription drug addicted lushes, trolls who troll to sell books, and religious institutions that shove any allegations of child molestation under the rug. I hate the term morality because it's all orders coming from someone to say "Do as I say, not as I do. In fact IGNORE what I do cuz it's pretty icky."

We have to remember, things are getting better. Teen pregnancy is way down from where it was in the 90's, mainly because people actually care for their futures, for one. I'm sick of people seeing the world as darker than it really is, and this is coming from someone who's as negative as you could ever imagine. Whatever reason the world is going "down hill" is because those who say it's going down hill sell books saying how everything's going down hill, and make a fortune off of those who actually listen. Every generation is the entitlement generation, previous ones moreso because they think they're entitled to the world they grew up in, where the same awful stuff happened but no one was willing to talk about it.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I've mentioned before the irony of how Nutella is always passed off as being this really healthy spread that's supposed to be better than butter or peanut butter despite being so high in fat, but I got to thinking about how so many people say maple syrup is bad and unhealthy for you, even thought it has hardly any fat, sugar, or calories in it whatsoever. What's the deal?

mr3urious

Reaction score
I've mentioned before the irony of how Nutella is always passed off as being this really healthy spread that's supposed to be better than butter or peanut butter despite being so high in fat, but I got to thinking about how so many people say maple syrup is bad and unhealthy for you, even thought it has hardly any fat, sugar, or calories in it whatsoever. What's the deal?
If they're talking about real maple syrup, then sure, I can buy that. But definitely not the cheap "pancake syrup" which is mostly corn syrup and artificial flavoring.

Drtooth

Reaction score

Technically, that was some insane level of spin. They were trying to sell it as a way to cover up the grainy flavor of healthier whole grain waffles and toast. But they were so vague about it (on purpose), they made it sound like the spread itself was healthy.

The problem being Nutella is a European thing that never really caught on over here, but not enough to keep from having a market presence. So of course they'd use some sort of flimflammery to keep their brand known. I almost am suspicious they knew they were playing with the truth so they could get caught so people would actually know what the stuff is. It's decidedly not peanut butter because it doesn't have the versatility peanut butter has. It was never going to crack into that market. Nutella is a dessert spread, sometimes used for breakfast (and again, European breakfast is different from what we'd call ours). It's certainly delicious enough, but it would never replace the lunchtime PB&J staple .

If they're talking about real maple syrup, then sure, I can buy that. But definitely not the cheap "pancake syrup" which is mostly corn syrup and artificial flavoring.
I get confused about natural and added sugars and how much of a baring they have on a healthy diet. Maple Syrup as in the actual one being talked about is natural sugar, definitely. Pancake syrup is much more chemical, and cheaper and well as more ubiquitous. I know of a diner in Maine that gives out the pancake crap free, but charge you for authentic Maple.

I've never actually had the authentic stuff.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Ñutella is a nice complement to peanut butter (anything hazelnut, I'm there) but can never replace it. Marshmallow Fluff never tried to hide the fact it was pure sugar.
A little sweetness like that goes a long way, and it is nice to dress up peanut butter once in a while. But eating a whole jar will make you sick.

Not that it won't stop some kids from trying.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Peanut Butter and Fluff sandwiches are a staple here in New England. We even have a Fluff Fest in Somerville at the end of summer. One of the Brady Kids was a guest at one of them several years back. As far as the sandwhiches go, someone always tried to get them taken off school lunch menus for the obvious reasons since forever. While I disagree with the reasoning behind it, I'll say this. Kids buy school lunches because they're warm meals. Low quality meats, not really that good pizza that kids still looked forward to, soggy as heck fishsticks. If they're going to be cheap and give out those sandwiches, you might as well bring one from home.

While I don't remember my school cafeteria having them, the one thing I absolutely hated them serving was their awful tuna and chicken salad sandwiches. Among other things, the only way I'll eat tuna is if I make it myself. I'm the only one who knows the ratio of mayo to fish that makes the sandwich good, and most importantly I don't ruin the whole thing by putting the vilest of weeds, celery in there. And if I'm going to push the topic further, I despise when they put it in lobster rolls. I'm paying a fortune for a sandwich due to the cost of the shellfish inside. I want to taste said shellfish and not some bitter, nasty shards of overpowering ick.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
We had the soggy tuna sandwiches, and I avoided them like the plague. The very least they could've done was toast the bread. I didn't like celery in tuna either (although if you're making soup, 99% of the time you need carrots, celery and onions).
School cafeteria pizza was pretty sad, that cardboard brick with "essence" of sauce and cheese. But every Friday, the line would be a mile long, you'd think they were serving Filet Mignon.