Danger Mouse and Powerpuff Girls both announced for comebacks

Muppy

Reaction score
This will no doubt annoy the heck out of some old PPG fans, but this extended theme from the new series shows a key element of the new series...

The Girls are actually older. And in anywhere from grade school to Junior High at least. So this isn't so much a reboot as a time shift sequel. I don't mind it myself. At least it would explain why their voices changed. I do like how the phone alert moved to more modern tech to show they've aged.
Oh god please don't let that be the new theme song. I liked where it was going at the beginning but then that weird death metal version came on, and I tuned out.

But now that we know that the girls have aged up, that confirms that this show is canon, which makes sense. It would explain why there's new villains as well as old ones, and why they're using a cell phone instead of there old baby phone.

Aging the Powerpuff girls is a bad idea in my opinion, becuase you lose what made the girls special in the original series. The girls were kindergarteners who fought evil villains. They used an baby play phone to talk to the mayor of Townsville. They were innocent children. Making them middle schoolers who "hang out with the girls and boys" doesn't sound like the Powerpuff girls. That's not what they do.

Colbynfriends

Reaction score
The new theme is actually really nice. It is a bit odd that they're age shifting them but maybe it's better that way just because this WON'T be exactly like we remember them to be. Making them older I feel is a good way to explain the changes within the series/art-style and probable writing style and feel for the whole show.

tutter_fan

Reaction score
I hope Dexter's Laboratory gets rebooted. One of my all time favorites. I can easily talk like him!!!!!

Schfifty

Reaction score
This will no doubt annoy the heck out of some old PPG fans, but this extended theme from the new series shows a key element of the new series...

The Girls are actually older. And in anywhere from grade school to Junior High at least. So this isn't so much a reboot as a time shift sequel. I don't mind it myself. At least it would explain why their voices changed. I do like how the phone alert moved to more modern tech to show they've aged.
Wow, that's an awesome video. I see they've re-used Tom Kenny's dialogue from the original opening in the video. I wonder if they'll keep the original recording for the new show's opening, or if it'll be rerecorded.

About the shift in age, I dunno...it doesn't bother me too much. Maybe the reason they're older is to cater to an older audience. That's one of the things the show was notable for - its parental bonuses and breaking the radar. Maybe this could further exemplify it?

I hope Dexter's Laboratory gets rebooted. One of my all time favorites. I can easily talk like him!!!!!
Even if it would ever happen soon, I think the show already ran its course after it ended twelve years ago. Plus, we can't just suddenly get all these reboots of classic CN shows just because this one's returning.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Aging the Powerpuff girls is a bad idea in my opinion, becuase you lose what made the girls special in the original series. The girls were kindergarteners who fought evil villains. They used an baby play phone to talk to the mayor of Townsville. They were innocent children. Making them middle schoolers who "hang out with the girls and boys" doesn't sound like the Powerpuff girls. That's not what they do.

It sounds like a good complication to throw in the works to me. We rarely saw episodes where the girls had to conflict between their daily lives and their super hero responsibilities. I'm sure they can find an angle that doesn't make it like MY Life as a Teenage Robot (I'm sure the kids actually like the girls in this case). I honestly would rather see them go through the trouble of giving the characters a new venue (they're getting new voices, might as well change something else), than turning this reboot into a rehash. Plus, I think there's some potential in mentioning that the girls barely look any different as adolescents than they did as 5 year olds. Seems like a nice conflict for an episode.

Even if it would ever happen soon, I think the show already ran its course after it ended twelve years ago. Plus, we can't just suddenly get all these reboots of classic CN shows just because this one's returning.
I'd rather see CN rotate its shows so you can see all of them in the course of a couple months, honestly. But as much as I loved Dexter, I don't want to see more episodes of that if they're more like the second half of the series. Genndy will be busy with the continuation of Samurai Jack (the show that should have been continued anyway), and when he moved onto that show the first time from Dexter, the quality slipped. I liked the starker graphics of the digital animation, but that's about it. The only CN show I'd love to see brought back is maybe Mad, since that never should have left production. There's always movies and TV shows to parody.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Oh god please don't let that be the new theme song. I liked where it was going at the beginning but then that weird death metal version came on, and I tuned out.
Doesn't sound too different from this...

or this.

I ain't complainin'. The PPGs are no stranger to punk rock.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I really dig the theme myself, but I just don't see it being the actual full show opening. I have a feeling that this show will be the same 10-11 minute format as all of their other series (minus Be Cool Scooby-Doo and Tom and Jerry Show's half hour format), and a full theme song would be out of the question.

Regular Show has no opening to speak of, Gumball's already incredibly short theme is cut in the US airing (with a couple season 4 episodes being the exception). Even the ones that have an actual opening (Clarence, Adventure Time, Teen Titans Go, Steven Universe, We Bare Bears and Uncle Grandpa) have very short less than 30 second themes. I don't see the PPG opening being anything but maybe the original show intro title and the theme song riff.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
My only complaint about the new theme is that the singing itself isn't very good, but the song itself is not that bad. I do think the punk rock direction fits better with PPG though.

My hope is the GGG returns and I don't absolutely despise what they do to Ace, since he's always been my favorite PPG villain :stick_out_tongue:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm wondering how many of the original villains they're willing to bring back. Mojo and Him seem like logical choices. I personally never felt they did enough with Him. He's supposed to be a supreme evil, and he is capable of pretty devastating mental attacks on the girls (like the one where he snuck into their dreams). But it seems the writers would rather use Him as a gag character. I'd love to see the Gangrene Gang again myself. I always liked how they were just troublemakers that made some serious crap go down.

I don't know if I'd like to see Fuzzy. He was a character I rather liked, but for the most part he wasn't so much evil as territorial and nasty. There seems like there could be some potential there, but not much. The Amoeba Boys, I also liked, but their gag of being the suckiest villains around really wore thing, and that's why they weren't used too much. Unless they find another angle, I don't care to see too much of them. Plus, if we do, it's going to be without Chuck McCann, and that's part of their appeal to me. Princess? Nah. I never liked the character and her gag was just she's incredibly rich and incredibly spoiled. She was in a couple good episodes, but overall, she's just obnoxious and weak a character and that's counting the fact she's supposed to be obnoxious. Though, I could see how she'd be relevant as an antagonist. If they work her out to be a subversive message, I'd like to see that. The Rowdyruffs would also be welcome, but only if they're used sparingly and wisely.

mr3urious

Reaction score
And now back to Danger Mouse.

I got to watching the episode "From Duck to Dawn" where Count Duckula made his debut, and they actually combined traits from both the original DM and his spin-off: he's a fame-starved nutcase like the former, but also a vegetarian like the latter. And he sounds even less like Daffy Duck, though Rasmus Hardiker does a much better job at hiding his British accent than David Jason (I credit his work in the Thunderbirds reboot).
The ending even teased the potential for a reboot of Duckula's spin-off. Maybe Igor and Nanny will appear, too? :smile: