Zootopia! Never been so excited for a CG film

beaker

Reaction score
Just saw a late night 3d showing! If there is one film I recommend 3d, it's this.

I may write a long review running...but the five main things I took away was:
1) This is probably the darkest/most adult Disney animated kids film they've done, kind of a stark contrast to the happy bright filled trailer. Which is surprising but...

2) It's also the most intelligent and smart Disney film I can recall seeing

3) The chemistry, facial expressions, and little hidden nuanced personality quirks and mannerisms in this are beyond anything Ive seen with Disney or talking animal cg films. Judy Hoppy and Bellweather especially just have these amazing personalities.

Also the world created in the movie is amazing. I wish Zootopia 2 was already coming soon!

Luke

Reaction score
It's looking like one of the more exciting CGI films for sure - i'm not usually a big fan of them either. I did like Monsters Vs Aliens and Planet 51 was ok. I like the whole "world" feel of these CGI type projects.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I've seen it, it's fantastic, but more on that in a minute.

For those who felt that Frozen needed to be taken down a peg, Zootopia has outpaced it on opening weekend by over 6 million bucks setting a new record. No wonder why KFP3 was dumped in January. It would have been creamed.

The film itself? What can I say about it? It's certainly the most layered animated movie I've seen if not one of them. Racism, terrorism, racism from terrorism, sexism, drugs, government conspiracy, second chances... so darn much in one 90 minute film! This is the film the world deserves and needs to see these days. it's the most beautiful film I've seen in a long time inside and out. It's certainly a gorgeous looking movie. One of the best I've seen. I've seen a lot of movies that looked great that I liked fine (The Croods is very lush and colorful, I can recommend it on that alone for example), but this one has style, with and charm.

And seriously, I love that it didn't walk softly. Nick was almost thrown out of an elephant run ice cream parlor in the opening and told to go to the "Fox ice cream parlor" and shown a "right to refuse service" sign. And it's not even heavy handed. Just an amazing film that's smartly written. Heck, I even take the police chief's speak about "this isn't an animated musical" and telling Judy to "Let it go" as a little backhand to a certain dethroned movie.

As my favorite movie critic would say, "I give it five Wows!"

snichols1973

Reaction score
This film definitely has quite a number of references and allusions to other media:

• Emmett Otterton, based on the titular character of Emmett Otter's Jug-Band Christmas,
  • Nick Wilde, whose appearance is remarkably similar to Disney's all-animal version of Robin Hood (1973),
  • 48 Hours, where a cop and a criminal must work together to solve a crime within 48 hours,
  • Mr. Big, the Arctic shrew crime boss, is clearly a parody of Marlon Brando's Vito Corleone,
  • Judy Hopps, similar to 21 Jump Street's Judy Hoffs (Holly Robinson),
  • Finnic, Nick's shill, is a fennec fox,
  • Duke Weaselton, whose name originated as a mispronunciation of Frozen's Duke Weselton (both characters are coincidentally voiced by Alan Tudyk),
  • The bootleg DVD's are puns on other Disney animated films, including Wreck-It Ralph, Frozen, Big Hero 6, Tangled et al.

Drtooth

Reaction score
If anyone wants a replica of Judy's Carrot Shaped secret recorder pen, they actually have some at The Disney Store. Not an exact prop replica (it has a sticker with her face on it because it's kid's merchandise), but close enough.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
This film definitely has quite a number of references and allusions to other media:

• Emmett Otterton, based on the titular character of Emmett Otter's Jug-Band Christmas,
  • Nick Wilde, whose appearance is remarkably similar to Disney's all-animal version of Robin Hood (1973),
  • 48 Hours, where a cop and a criminal must work together to solve a crime within 48 hours,
  • Mr. Big, the Arctic shrew crime boss, is clearly a parody of Marlon Brando's Vito Corleone,
  • Judy Hopps, similar to 21 Jump Street's Judy Hoffs (Holly Robinson),
  • Finnic, Nick's shill, is a fennec fox,
  • Duke Weaselton, whose name originated as a mispronunciation of Frozen's Duke Weselton (both characters are coincidentally voiced by Alan Tudyk),
  • The bootleg DVD's are puns on other Disney animated films, including Wreck-It Ralph, Frozen, Big Hero 6, Tangled et al.
I haven't seen it, but on Duke Weaselton I have to say "Coincidence?! I think NOT!"

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
OMG, I totally loved this movie! It was SO cute! My favorite characters were definitely Judy Hop and Nick Wilde. I kinda ship them, XD! My favorite parts were the sloths and the scene with all the fake movie titles. Pig Hero 6, LOL!

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
Also I liked how Grunkle Ford from Gravity Falls was the voice of the lion.

Mynameisdean

Reaction score
Well, the more I hear about this movie, the more left-wing the story and underlying topics and messages sound. While I like the Monsters Inc-esque world they created, it all seems like some political nonsense we should not push to kids. Especially when I heard something about a upper 10 percent having to do with this...