The Discontinued Snack Foods thread

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm making an offshoot of the Breakfast Cereal thread (where the discussion ranges from current to long gone cereal items).

Anything from Turtle Pies to Dunkaroos, you can talk about here.

If there's one thing I must admit I miss, it's when E.L. Fudge cookies came in flavors besides butter cookie with chocolate filling and double stuffed butter cookie with chocolate filling. I recall them having chocolate cookies with Oreo knockoff filling and the better chocolate cookie with Peanut Butter filling.

And on the subject of cookies, I also miss Twix having more than the standard caramel filling. Yeah, sure, sometimes you may be able to find the Peanut Butter variant. it's rare, if not recently discontinued. There were two short lived Twix candies, a double chocolate one (where chocolate creme was in place of the caramel, can't remember if the cookie was swapped out for a chocolate one) and cookies and creme, which should be obvious, a chocolate cookie and pseudo-Oreo style creme. Which, oddly, was years before the big cookies and creme flavored everything fad several years later, but didn't make it to be a part of that fad.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Dunkaroos still exist - they're at Dollar General.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Danish Go-Rounds. Marketed by Kellogg's in the early 70's, they were like Pop Tarts on steroids. 40 years after they were taken off the shelves, I still remember how good the cherry flavor was. Probably got pulled, their biggest problem (like Pop Tarts sometimes) was getting stuck in toasters.
I'm sorry these were gone long before most of you ever came along. Only a select few of us geezers can tell you how great they were.

scooterfan360

Reaction score
I'm making an offshoot of the Breakfast Cereal thread (where the discussion ranges from current to long gone cereal items).

Anything from Turtle Pies to Dunkaroos, you can talk about here.

If there's one thing I must admit I miss, it's when E.L. Fudge cookies came in flavors besides butter cookie with chocolate filling and double stuffed butter cookie with chocolate filling. I recall them having chocolate cookies with Oreo knockoff filling and the better chocolate cookie with Peanut Butter filling.

And on the subject of cookies, I also miss Twix having more than the standard caramel filling. Yeah, sure, sometimes you may be able to find the Peanut Butter variant. it's rare, if not recently discontinued. There were two short lived Twix candies, a double chocolate one (where chocolate creme was in place of the caramel, can't remember if the cookie was swapped out for a chocolate one) and cookies and creme, which should be obvious, a chocolate cookie and pseudo-Oreo style creme. Which, oddly, was years before the big cookies and creme flavored everything fad several years later, but didn't make it to be a part of that fad.
peanut butter twix is still around , your local stores might not carry peanut butter twix.

Bliffenstimmers

Reaction score
Now here is my kind of thread! Oh, so much to say...

I don't think I ever had either the Taco Bell or Pizza Hut Doritos, but there sure are a lot of Doritos flavors I dearly miss. There used to be a plain Jalapeno Cheddar flavor for a while, and then there was the limited edition 60s/70s style flavors (oh what I'd do for another bag of Sour Cream and Onion!) but perhaps the most disappointing discontinuation was for the 3D Doritos (there was also 3D Ruffles, too!) and I don't mean those strange crunchy maze shaped ones that came out recently either. You'll know what I mean if you've had 'em before. Rounder, puffed up with a hollowed center. Much like how Chex is. Speaking of which, those fairly new Chex Chips are the closes thing I've found to the original 3D Doritos. They're fairly larger, but still rather similar.

And don't even get me started on Cheetos. There are so many dang varieties of Cheetos over the years, and each one of them was so darn good. I often think back to the times they had the twisted spiral ones (which first arrived as puffs, then crunchy) or the pizza flavored ones, or more recently those Cheetos bits with the combo flavors and the giant cheese ball ones (or even the older Asteroids that came in those cute tubes!) Sure, there was also the seasonal/movie tie in ones (for Star Wars or Shrek) that coated your tongue with hidden colors, which were cool for the novelty, but nothing special. I will admit, they've got some great new seasonal Cheetos too, like the white cheddar bones and the easter egg shaped Sweetos (which are my mom's favorite. They're like those cinnamon twists from Taco Bell, but puffier and more flavorful. We both will be disappointed once they're off the shelves...)

I could go on even further with discontinued fast food items, or fast food restaurants in general that closed down here, but I don't want to keep going off track...

Drtooth

Reaction score
peanut butter twix is still around , your local stores might not carry peanut butter twix.
I had a feeling that was the case. I've seen them sometimes at Family Dollar, but I forget how recently. Some of my FD's have become Dollar Trees, and they don't have them. But more recently I saw them a year or so ago when we finally got a Wegman's up here. I forget how long it was before they stopped carrying them, though. Maybe a few months.

On that subject, there's a Twix that only existed for the Easter season last year. Coconut Twix. But for those who actually like the flavor of coconut but hate the texture of what I've rightfully heard called "sweetened cuticle," it was actually coconut flavored caramel. Kinda expected a coconut patty replacing the cookie, actually. I've only seen it in large treat bag form.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I never could tolerate any flavor of Doritos except for the cool ranch, and that's been one of my go-to snacks ever since I was a little kid. Matter of fact, the nacho ones were like cigarettes for me in Grade 5: I know this sounds strange, but in Grade 5, I always noticed that all the other kids would get nacho with their lunches while I always got ranch, so I felt odd and out of place with my lone blue bag among a cafeteria full of red bags, so I started getting the nacho at lunch figuring it'd make me look cooler, even though I hated them. Of course in middle school, Fritos was usually the go-to chips for others, which I didn't mind, but the other kids always put them on their sandwiches, saying they liked having a crunch in their sandwiches. Go fig.

Anyshoe, I know I mentioned this before, but I kind of miss Butterfinger B.B.s. Not that big a deal since we still have just regular Butterfinger bars, but for a change of pace it was nice having the B.B.s just to pop in your mouth.

This isn't necessarily a snack food, but anybody remember Fruitopia? We had vending machines of them in my middle school, and I would usually get a can after school everyday, usually alternating between grape and the fruit punch flavors.

scooterfan360

Reaction score
I had a feeling that was the case. I've seen them sometimes at Family Dollar, but I forget how recently. Some of my FD's have become Dollar Trees, and they don't have them. But more recently I saw them a year or so ago when we finally got a Wegman's up here. I forget how long it was before they stopped carrying them, though. Maybe a few months.

On that subject, there's a Twix that only existed for the Easter season last year. Coconut Twix. But for those who actually like the flavor of coconut but hate the texture of what I've rightfully heard called "sweetened cuticle," it was actually coconut flavored caramel. Kinda expected a coconut patty replacing the cookie, actually. I've only seen it in large treat bag form.
coconut Twix ? I never seen them before .

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Coconut Twix? Oh man, George Costanza's gonna have a fit over that.

CUSTOMER: Twix has too much coconut in it.
GEORGE: NO! THERE'S NO COCONUT! TWIX IS THE ONLY CANDY WITH THE COOKIE CRUNCH!