Zootopia! Never been so excited for a CG film

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Well, the more I hear about this movie, the more left-wing the story and underlying topics and messages sound. While I like the Monsters Inc-esque world they created, it all seems like some political nonsense we should not push to kids. Especially when I heard something about a upper 10 percent having to do with this...
What exactly do you mean?

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Well, the more I hear about this movie, the more left-wing the story and underlying topics and messages sound. While I like the Monsters Inc-esque world they created, it all seems like some political nonsense we should not push to kids. Especially when I heard something about a upper 10 percent having to do with this...
Uh, what do you mean?

Drtooth

Reaction score
There was absolutely nothing in the film about money. That's something Fox Business (the greater of two evils) would make up to perpetuate the imaginary conspiracy theory about the poor trying to get the rich's hard earned money and fears of communism that would never happen in this country in a million years. As in the same crap they said about "The Muppets" (to be fair, the Tex Richman backstory being cut out, all a half a minute of it, robs the nuance and makes Tex one dimensional) and Arrietty (which, as I said a hundred times before, is about a group of people that refuse handouts because it leads to trouble, in other words a perfect film to bend to a Libertarian standpoint). They even went after The Lego Movie because Lord Business looked like Mitt Romney somehow. Know who else he looked like? Basically anyone because that's how Lego minifigures all look. They used the same hair piece for a Spider-Man J. Jonah Jameson minifig. I mean, I showed someone a Brown Ninja from Ninjago minifig, and they thought it was the "Where are my Paaaaaants?" guy. And I have them both standing next to each other and can barely tell the difference. And again, The Lego Movie was all about how the government was bad and trying to control everyone, stopping them from being individuals. Isn't...isn't that the kind of moral of most Ayn Rand books?

If "left wing underlying concepts" means the movie's underlying concept about racism (evenly handed and perfectly executed to the point they're not afraid to say that everyone's a little bit racist), then you lost me. The underlying concept of the film is to see individuals against their stereotype and how lumping together groups of people in light of the actions of a few can throw society into chaos. Isn't...isn't that the lesson we want kids to learn? Racism shouldn't be a righty lefty issue, and those on either side of the spectrum can be racist, but they make up a tiny minority of each. Getting along is straight up stuff we teach kids when they first can absorb knowledge. Isn't the point of teaching kids tolerance so they can make as many friends and indeed business connections when they're older as possible? Refusing service means refusing money (a scene in an Elephant run ice cream store pretty much points that out), and fear makes society crumble and punish the innocent while the guilty don't care what happens because the guilty are usually sociopaths. I see nothing in this movie converting kids to vote for the Green Rainbow party.

Mynameisdean

Reaction score
There was absolutely nothing in the film about money. That's something Fox Business (the greater of two evils) would make up to perpetuate the imaginary conspiracy theory about the poor trying to get the rich's hard earned money and fears of communism that would never happen in this country in a million years. As in the same crap they said about "The Muppets" (to be fair, the Tex Richman backstory being cut out, all a half a minute of it, robs the nuance and makes Tex one dimensional) and Arrietty (which, as I said a hundred times before, is about a group of people that refuse handouts because it leads to trouble, in other words a perfect film to bend to a Libertarian standpoint). They even went after The Lego Movie because Lord Business looked like Mitt Romney somehow. Know who else he looked like? Basically anyone because that's how Lego minifigures all look. They used the same hair piece for a Spider-Man J. Jonah Jameson minifig. I mean, I showed someone a Brown Ninja from Ninjago minifig, and they thought it was the "Where are my Paaaaaants?" guy. And I have them both standing next to each other and can barely tell the difference. And again, The Lego Movie was all about how the government was bad and trying to control everyone, stopping them from being individuals. Isn't...isn't that the kind of moral of most Ayn Rand books?

If "left wing underlying concepts" means the movie's underlying concept about racism (evenly handed and perfectly executed to the point they're not afraid to say that everyone's a little bit racist), then you lost me. The underlying concept of the film is to see individuals against their stereotype and how lumping together groups of people in light of the actions of a few can throw society into chaos. Isn't...isn't that the lesson we want kids to learn? Racism shouldn't be a righty lefty issue, and those on either side of the spectrum can be racist, but they make up a tiny minority of each. Getting along is straight up stuff we teach kids when they first can absorb knowledge. Isn't the point of teaching kids tolerance so they can make as many friends and indeed business connections when they're older as possible? Refusing service means refusing money (a scene in an Elephant run ice cream store pretty much points that out), and fear makes society crumble and punish the innocent while the guilty don't care what happens because the guilty are usually sociopaths. I see nothing in this movie converting kids to vote for the Green Rainbow party.
Hmm, I guess you're right, because what I heard about Zootopia, was here and some local newspaper's rave review of the movie.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Loved loved loved this movie! First of all, the animation was beautiful, all the details in the buildings and the characters were perfect. The fur looked lush and each different ecosystem had its own character and feeling. It really is amazing all they were able to do with CGI, to not only create one world on its own, but several different worlds within that.

The storyline was excellent too, putting forward the message about not letting fear rule the day and how everyone traffics in stereotypes, whether they have malicious intent or not. It's a good message for a movie, because that is something that most people do, pick up stereotypes through society and not really even give them a second thought. The scene where Judy reached for the repellent when arguing with Nick at the police station was a great example of that.

Plus it was fun too! All the little puns and details in the background were great, with the signs and references, changed for animals of course. And the animation of the sloths was great.

beaker

Reaction score
The expressions...oh man, the endless expressions and subtle nuances of Judy Hopps was so amazing. I just loved the heck out of her personality and the other characters, especially Belwether. I even bought a Belwether plush. Def plan to see this again soon(tho not in 3D, 3D at night while worth it was a bit pricey) It's weird seeing a Disney film set in the modern world, as most are set in fantastic far away worlds or the past.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I finally got to see the movie today. It was amazing! The animation was beautiful and almost flawless. And I think the storytelling was the best i've ever seen in a Disney movie. They did a really good job with the whole stereotype/prejudice, making it a big part of the story but somehow avoiding making the message too heavy handed. I really loved every last one of the characters, especially Judy.
One of my favorite parts was the little nods to other Disney movies, like the not that subtle Frozen reference and of course the weasel named Duke Weaslton, who was played by the same voice actor who played the other Duke Weasleton on Frozen. Also loved Duke's stand of DVD, which I won't spoil because the spoilers button is not working right now.