Diamond Select Toys to Produce new Muppet figures and mini mates!

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I understand that firm sales data may not be available at this point, but the solicit for these figures have been out for a while, and I would assume that Diamond could judge interest in the line so far based on the number of orders they've received.

Yes it's too early to tell if the line will peg warm or if the line will sell like crazy and more orders are placed, but I would think Diamond would have some idea on how successful or not it is so far based on Order Quantity. They must have met their MOQ, but if there was a lot of interest from retailers, or just a nibble, tells a lot about how successful a line will be.

I'm hoping this line sells like hot cakes myself, and that this line reall digs deep into character selection.
Certainly. They reported firm plans for 4 series. I'm sure they'll pull the trigger on 3 and 4 if the numbers support it. At this point in the game, most of the R&D would have been done.

muppetperson

Reaction score
I understand that firm sales data may not be available at this point, but the solicit for these figures have been out for a while, and I would assume that Diamond could judge interest in the line so far based on the number of orders they've received.

Yes it's too early to tell if the line will peg warm or if the line will sell like crazy and more orders are placed, but I would think Diamond would have some idea on how successful or not it is so far based on Order Quantity. They must have met their MOQ, but if there was a lot of interest from retailers, or just a nibble, tells a lot about how successful a line will be.

I'm hoping this line sells like hot cakes myself, and that this line reall digs deep into character selection.
Very true. They would now have a very good idea how well they are selling from orders at the toy fare and shows.

muppetperson

Reaction score
Certainly. They reported firm plans for 4 series. I'm sure they'll pull the trigger on 3 and 4 if the numbers support it. At this point in the game, most of the R&D would have been done.
I suppose they could extend the license, but isn't the initial contract just for a year long? I think I read somewhere that they planned to release the line over a year.

rowlfy662

Reaction score
So DST did another live chat and there was a few muppet titbits including

The sculpts for wave 3 of the select waves have been approved and they are just getting the paint approved so im guessing they could be revealed soon

Statler and Waldorf are coming with the full balcony. There was talk at NY toy fair that they might have to split the balcony into three parts but that does not seem the case. Also it was mentioned on facebook a while back that the balcony might have the ability to be placed on the wall

the 4th Wave has been sculpted and they are hoping to continue on which is a good sign

And the biggest piece of news DST Zack confirmed one figure for wave 3 of the select line which is Miss Piggy

christianpyro

Reaction score

The sculpts for wave 3 of the select waves have been approved and they are just getting the paint approved so im guessing they could be revealed soon

Statler and Waldorf are coming with the full balcony. There was talk at NY toy fair that they might have to split the balcony into three parts but that does not seem the case. Also it was mentioned on facebook a while back that the balcony might have the ability to be placed on the wall

the 4th Wave has been sculpted and they are hoping to continue on which is a good sign

And the biggest piece of news DST Zack confirmed one figure for wave 3 of the select line which is Miss Piggy
Haha, That was me asking all of the muppet questions during the live chat.

He also said there was a lot of interest in the mupet line, so that was a good sign.

I was excited when they said they might be able to announce a new character, but dissapointed whenit was announced that it was Miss Piggy (that was pretty obvious).

Also of note, What we saw at Toyfair concerning Animal and his drumet is what will come with him. I asked because many adds for the product show a lot less, and though the drumset is technically complete, it is a bit on the light side, and does not have everything a traditional drumset would have.

floydnjanicefan

Reaction score

Yay Miss Piggy! I hope she comes with Foo Foo and Gloria Estefan!

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
Yes Foo Foo with Miss Piggy would be perfect. We didn't get Foo Foo with Palisades and any size they do come up with would still fit in with both lines. I did find a small make shift white dog that looked like Foo Foo but an official one would be better! Especially since Foo Foo is more known known since Muppet's Most Wanted and the new tv show. Gloria Estefan would be fantastic too! Would they have official rights to use "Up Late with Miss Piggy" "the muppets" things? Like a "up late" coffee mug extra? I'd like to see Walter (maybe even Constantine) too

I like the line ups on how they are releasing the figures. I would like to see Rowlf with an upright piano, Piggy with Foo Foo, Walter with Rizzo, and Sam the Eagle with Pepe, maybe in there Swedish Chef too. Ofcourse there's still the rest of the band so many they could mix it up a bit to keep the line going.

Muppetboy09

Reaction score
I am putting bets on an Uncle Deadly with Gloria Estefan for Wave 4

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Considering that it takes 9 to 15 months to bring a figure from concept to the marketplace, I don't think we'll get such a new character like Gloria anytime soon. At least, not in the first year.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Since Animal is being released on his own, presumably so the drum set will fit in the packaging (will the drums be included with all releases of the figure, or just the "expanded accessories" version?), I wonder if Rowlf and Dr. Teeth will be released on their own so their big instruments will fit (well, they did fit in the Palisades packaging, but the Palisades figures weren't primarily two-packs). Hmm, you know what would make a good pack-in for Animal? A small white bunny.

Of course, Gonzo (and to a possible extent Kermit, but he comes with two characters) sort of feels like a one-figure release with a pack-in, as opposed to a two-pack (was there any consideration for Gonzo to come with both Rizzo and Camilla?).

Would they have official rights to use "Up Late with Miss Piggy" "the muppets" things? Like a "up late" coffee mug extra?
I asked a question like this, both here and at the Ask DST feature (which I had forgotten I did and didn't realize I had gotten an answer when I asked here), and it was said that DST is, for whatever reason, not allowed to mention the terms of the license (as in whether it's exclusive to The Muppet Show, or if it can include characters and things from the movies, JHH, MT, or The Muppets). But considering Bean Bunny is included with Kermit, I think it's a safe bet that DST can release characters from later productions (even if there's yet to be any official announcements for any other such character, we haven't even gotten an official announcement for a Pepe figure).