Diamond Select Toys to Produce new Muppet figures and mini mates!

muppetlover123

Reaction score
Just ordered my figures! So excited.

Part of me hope that Series 3 is Miss Piggy Swedish Chef Foo Foo
Rowlf and Sam
And it might be a long shot but I hope series 3 has Walter in a pack with Rizzo and Pepe like Kermit had Bean and Robin. Since Walter is pretty close to there size.

christianpyro

Reaction score
I have a set ordered at BBTS and in my Pile of Loot, but I saw these in person at my local comic shop the other day. They do look good, and I appreciate the new scale.

As others said, there are some things I like about these version better than Palisades. Certain characters have a better and more accurate likenes. I have a unique perspective because I never owned a Palisades figure until last month, and both sets are fresh to me. Since last month I have been buying the Palisades muppets like crazy, they are amazing and I have ammassed quite the set that are proudly displayed in a Detolf case in my living room. In fact, this is the only toy line my wife really likes.

If it weren't for Palisades I'd say these Diamond select muppets were perfect, but unfortunately for Diamond, they have some really stiff competition in what I have come to consider the best toyline of all time. And to those that say it's not fair to compare them, I disagree. We are not comparing apples to oranges, we are comparing apples to apples; one kermit to another. That is a perfectly reasonable comparison, and there are pros and cons to both sets.

I think Diamond could become a new favorite if they can go deep into character selection and surpass what Palisades was able to give us (this is a tall order though). And Palisades have those amazing playsets

I do like the Palisades scale better personally, but I always like larger figures, and that's just personal preference.

I really like these Diamond Select Muppets, but if I was going to be perfectly honest, I wouldn't have bought them if it weren't for what was announced for series 2. They hit all my favorite characters, and that balcony had me pulling out my debit card real quick. I also was interested in this line because of the reputation of the Palisades line, I think many people are. I wouldn't go so far as to say that Diamond is riding the coat tails of Palisades, but I think many, myself included, hope that Diamond can pull off a lot of what made the Palisades line so great, and collect this line at it's start instead of paying secondary market prices.

I am happy to collect both sets. In a perfect world I would have some of Diamonds sculpts in Palisades scale, and you can't beat the texture that Palisades has with thier figures, but I appreciate both for what they are.

I do have a concern with Diamonds paint apps though. The comic shop I was at had several copies of each figure and some definately looked better than others. Especially in the eyes. There was some definite paint slop with they eyes of these figures.

The biggest discrepency though was with Camilla. One would be perfectly white, and the other had what looked like a tan wash in all of the crevices, giving it a dirtier look. It was quit the drastic difference.

I hope the ones I ordered have good paint apps.

I hope I don't sound overly critical. I'm really not, and think I have given a fair assessment. I appreciate both lines and consider both to be money well spent. I've pre-ordered wave 2 and plan to order every wave after.

Sorry for the long post.

Last edited:

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
I don't much believe in living in the past. It was obviously a factory goof, but it doesn't ruin the rest of the line. I have a feeling they'll do more Kermits. He's the main "anchor" character for the Muppets and if this goes on to a year two, expect another one of some sort - and with improved eyes. Aside from that, he's just so amazing, articulated and cute as heck. :wink:
It's such a shame; it truly is a great sculpt.

It's just a waste that he just came out and we're already saying, "well, maybe they'll rerelease him".

Muppetboy09

Reaction score
I have to say, seeing the pictures, I had my doubts about these figures, but I just got them today, and Diamond Select has really outdone themselves. These figures are absolutely fantastic, and the attention to detail is amazing. Of all the figures, I would say Fozzie is the one I am most impressed with, as the pictures I have seen didn't show his texturing in as much detail as it really is. I would suggest that EVERYONE buy these figures, to keep the series running, and because they are every muppet fan's dream.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
It's such a shame; it truly is a great sculpt.

It's just a waste that he just came out and we're already saying, "well, maybe they'll rerelease him".
He is a pretty good sculpt. The neck wrinkles, the puppeteer knuckle fold between his eyes. Cleaning up the pupils shouldn't be so tough. I shouldn't be necessary, but I don't see the figure as a waste. No one like Series One Palisades Piggy and some thought she ruined line. I just don't live in that negative space. I do hope DST uses the mishap to better QC series two. :smile:

muppetlover123

Reaction score
I wonder if they will make play sets or some of the bigger characters like Sweetums and Thog.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I loved the ebgames variant!
That's my preferred Piggy too. She was much better, but I remember the struggle with Henson back then. They required Palisades to use cartoony yellow hair (instead of blonde), to not texture her skin and to shape her in more Barbie-like proportions. Remarkably, Disney has actually been a lot better with handling her likeness in products than Henson Co was post-Jim.

I liked First Mate Piggy, but again there were weird restrictions on her costume. Bare legs were vetoed in favor of silver stockings that she never wore. I don't get why. It just was. She was also a bit too skinny. I'm hoping DST will remedy that. :wink: I have so much useless knowledge of all this stuff during my years working on Palisades' product. One of the best experiences. I learned so much. I was so green back then. Trial by fire. :eek:

Also, a little-known fact. When compared with other Muppets on product pegs beside her, the pig sells a lot fewer units. The trick with successful Piggy sales is when it's a signature product of her own. Also, customers are more open to buying other Muppet characters as long as Kermit is available in the mix. That's why Palisades released several Kermits. :smile:

floydnjanicefan

Reaction score
Also, a little-known fact. When compared with other Muppets on product pegs beside her, the pig sells a lot fewer units. The trick with successful Piggy sales is when it's a signature product of her own. Also, customers are more open to buying other Muppet characters as long as Kermit is available in the mix. That's why Palisades released several Kermits. :smile:
They should make each series come with a Build-a-Kermit that I have seen other lines do so people end up buying everyone in each series. Buy Statler and Waldorf, get Kermit's head, Bunsen and Beaker - Kermit's torso, Doc Hopper: Kermit's legs .